Dell D600 & 10.4.3

kernalzero

13 posts in this topic

First off I apologize if this topic is a repeat. I've read for around 6 hours tonight alone searching it out and didn't really find what I was looking for.

To the real purpose of this post...I've got a dell d600 (specs listed below) which I have been running the deadmoo image of 10.4.1 on it since early dec. 2005. I've been dual booting this 30gb hard drive and just got a new 100GB replacement drive in and want to single boot this drive with only 10.4.3. I pretty much haven't booted into windows for a while now now. Questions:

1) Is anyone successfully running 10.4.3 on this laptop?

2) Is it worth upgrade as far as performance/compatibility/etc?

3) What is the easiest way to go about this installation (some of the walkthroughs seem to be full of petty arguing which all seems counterproductive)?

4) Anything else you may want to add/suggest/etc?

Thank you in advance

Edited by kernalzero

HI

There was a similar thread on the win2osx site. The site is down for now. Basically allowing native install with Banias M 1.4 setup and similar issues. My Toshiba M30 has this problem. (If anyone has a patch to try , you mind posting----Where did u Guys go---?). They was some work been done to enable installation, mine hangs on the keyboard error " kdp_poll" Tried all the various 10.4.3 patchs and boot options , don't have the USB legacy bios option. I wont bother with 10.4.1 unless theres a sse2.nonx patch for it ? the 1099 build would probably be the fastest and best bet if there is enough apps to suite your needs. As 10.4.3 is more sse3 optimized.

BOL

Hi,

1. I followed the instructions on I-Hacked.com and apart from the graphics card and wireless it all works like a charm on my D600. I did install it on a clean hard disk which I have to swap when I want to run XP.

2. I upgraded to 10.4.3 directly after installing 10.4.1 so I can't really say.

Well I figured I would post an update for all those d600 users out there on my progress.

Up to now my attempts to upgrade my current installtion of 10.4.1 have failed. I tried using the osxupdate.tar readily available from the torrent community (updates 10.4.1 to 10.4.3). It seems to go through it's update but in the end it still tells me I have 10.4.1 installed. Itunes is still v4.8. I'm pretty much giving up on this because I have a new HDD on the way and I plan on single booting osx86 on it until I can save up the cash for a real powerbook of my own. (not trying to scam apple, just playing with the OS until I get a mac, anyway what better way to learn an OS than to do what we are all doing with osx86??)

I've most recently given up on the updatepack itself and started working on the native dvd installation. File name:

macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg (MD5 3665735D1B651B5A4AD15CA59AB40142),

converted to macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.iso (MD5 F086FA1CDD01013C9787DFD1E92C2078).

I then patched that file with Jas.1111a.Generic.Patch.V4.2b.ppf (MD5 of patched *.iso 16139AE55AC283C114A5231F85C3F54C).

Well the good news is I get the boot menu and it loads up the happy grey apple boot screen. The problem is it doesn't do anything apart from spin the little wheel thing. I left it for around 2 hours and remained patient before I finally gave up and turned off the system.

My thoughts on solving the problem: I currently have 10.4.1 and XP installed on seperate partitions plus a 6gb FAT32 drive I originally had the deadmoo image loaded onto. I think that is messing up the install disc. What I plan on doing is taking the new 100GB HDD I expect to recieve tomorrow and trying a clean install. I'll take the patched DVD image and burn it @ 1x and try the install on that new fresh hard drive, hopefully with better results than this attempt. I will post the results of that attempt.

Any constructive feedback on what i'm doing is appreciated...thanx

The biggest difference in my opinion is that 10.4.1 won't run any of the new Univrsal Binaries (including iLife '06, new Firefox releases, and pretty much anything new compiled for Intel that will be coming out), but 10.4.3 in theory will.

However, it looks like at least some people can't get 10.4.3 to run because PAE is faulty in our systems (this is the case for me). I don't notice it typically since it's automatically disabled when I boot Windows, but OS X is extremely unstable (as it is when I start running tests that start touching PAE as well). However, there are quite a few people that have 10.4.3 running on a D600 - except for the video card it's probably one of the most compatible laptops with OS X.

HI

There was a similar thread on the win2osx site. The site is down for now. Basically allowing native install with Banias M 1.4 setup and similar issues. My Toshiba M30 has this problem. (If anyone has a patch to try , you mind posting----Where did u Guys go---?). They was some work been done to enable installation, mine hangs on the keyboard error " kdp_poll" Tried all the various 10.4.3 patchs and boot options , don't have the USB legacy bios option. I wont bother with 10.4.1 unless theres a sse2.nonx patch for it ? the 1099 build would probably be the fastest and best bet if there is enough apps to suite your needs. As 10.4.3 is more sse3 optimized.

BOL

I have just reached this point in my attempts to install 10.4.3. I've been using the command

platform=ACPI|X86PC rd=disk1s1 -x -v and it eventually spits out the error kdp_poll: no debugger device. If I find anyway to fix this obviously I'll post it.

right my mistake, I ment it didn't work for either way and still resulted in the kdp_poll error. I agree with what slip mentioned earlier about not being able to disable USB in the bios. It seems all the people who have had problems have solved it by turning off USB in the bios. I pretty much turned everything off in the bios and still no luck. I need to get a 44pin to 40 pin adapter for my laptop hard drive and i might check if the VMWARE method...who knows though....a new Mactel laptop is look pretty nice right now anyway :-D maybe in feb. when they are available

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to get 10.4.3 running in VMWare on this laptop. Windows (XP, etc) *refuse* to boot with PAE enabled, even if specifying PAE mode in the boot options. When VMWare boots, PAE won't be available to it (since it doesn't do processor emulation, just passes the processor capabilities to the virtual machines). Even if you enable PAE in the VMWare config file, it will still complain that PAE is not available.

• 2 weeks later...

Herllo kernalzero

I have the same Laptop, Dell Latitude D600 working very good with 10.4.3, this is the way I did it:

First, I'm not doing dual boot, smal hard drives only 20GB and 30GB are very cheap, so I got a couple, also I got the Hard Drive Caddy from eBay for $6, so I replace hard drives very easy.

When I installed the 10.4.1 works great, Wireless MiniPci 1300 and FastE BCM5701, video only 1024.x768, then latter I decided to install 10.4.3 on a new hard Drive, first time I boot de DVD with 8f11111 was slowwww.....very, 20 Minutes to see the Install menu, so I decided to install 10.4.3 on my desktop using my laptop Harddisk of 40GB, on my desktop I was able to installe just in minutes, Before run the DVB 8f1111 I created a full AF partition with boot flag, so Harddisk was ready to go during the installation, them when I finsiheds the install and ready to transfer HD to D600, I delete all ATI kext drivers, delete all extensions.mktext and extensions.cache.

Then D6000 boots up perfectly, so at beginning, not Airport and not BCM5701, but thanks a couple of people on this forum now I have Aitport and BCM5701 working great.

Only one issue still not solved, when I disconnect AC power, the System becomes very slowwwwww, also when I start the system on battery also is slow and does not recover until reboots and have AC power, so I'm thinking is an issue with Power management driver, let see if I can fix it.

I hope this helps you to continue trying, because works great.

See attached screen shot from my D600

Good Luck!

post-14287-1139534109_thumb.png

Hello guys,

I have a D600 and I have seen big improvments from 10.4.1 to 10.4.3.

I was able to install from DVD on a new hard drive (10.4.3 macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg patched).

Working :

- Network : BCM9701 / WiFi Dell miniPCI / BlueTooth

- USB

- Sound

- Trackpad / external USB mouse

Not working :

- Video : unable to set up ATI drivers and get rid off VESA

I will post more detail later on on what I did to patch the network (wifi driver for Broadcom Wifi is coming from 10.4.4).

The nice trick is that you have to swap drive to perform the setup, but later on, once the OS is setup, you can put your OSX hard drive in an USB enclosure and boot on :o)

Cheers