"can't find mach kernel" on Boot

Antipodean

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've had no end of headaches trying to get OSX up & running on my gigabyte P35-DS3R system, mostly getting installs that wouldn't get past the blinkin cursor on boot.

So I installed the JAS 10.4.8 osx build & installed Brazilmac's Leapord distribution on top - as well as successfully installing the PostPatch.

Now, upon booting Darwin briefly starts up, only to display the message "can't find mach kernel", with the display becomeing extremely flickered.

So if anybody has any suggestions, I really appreciate it. I'm really hoping that there is a fix for this.

Thanks folks!

Hey all,

I've had no end of headaches trying to get OSX up & running on my gigabyte P35-DS3R system, mostly getting installs that wouldn't get past the blinkin cursor on boot.

So I installed the JAS 10.4.8 osx build & installed Brazilmac's Leapord distribution on top - as well as successfully installing the PostPatch.

Now, upon booting Darwin briefly starts up, only to display the message "can't find mach kernel", with the display becomeing extremely flickered.

So if anybody has any suggestions, I really appreciate it. I'm really hoping that there is a fix for this.

Thanks folks!

Try copying the file in the root of the dvd named mach_kernel to the root of your HD.

Also try to press F8 when starting, write where the mach_kernel file is located in the Mac Installation DVD, it is on DVD's root.

Example /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"/mach_kernel.

sorted - i was just a matter of changing the paths in Brazilmac's PostPatch. :hysterical:

Now I just have a KERNEL PANIC on booting - w00t.

("Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".... yada yada yada)

WHY can't my install be as smooth as other Gigabyte p35-DS3R users seem to have found it!)

• 3 weeks later...
sorted - i was just a matter of changing the paths in Brazilmac's PostPatch. ;)

Now I just have a KERNEL PANIC on booting - w00t.

("Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".... yada yada yada)

WHY can't my install be as smooth as other Gigabyte p35-DS3R users seem to have found it!)

did you patch the HD properly? looks like acpiplatform is not replaced with the patched kext

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone through exactly same errors as you "mach_kenel" then "ACPI panic". And I finally sorted it out with one millimeter gone out of mind :happymac:

Boot to CD, open up Terminal, then run those commands contained in PostPatch.sh by hand, using full path each time "/Volumes?Leopard" and "/Volums/YOUR USB DRIVE/postpatch/ext" etc etc

You seems to have made through missing mach_kernel( be sure to chmod and chown correctly) but those patched extensions were not copied by the script, although it may have said "SUCCSESS!!" ...