Obvious hoax postings

Guest terry

11 posts in this topic

From the following thread:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...7052&qpid=43913

you should be banned ... no joke

this is not a spam forum

I totally agree with you, but I don't think that this will really happen. Anyway, folks like Olivier and polaty who obviously and deliberately spread misinformation are responsible for the degrading quality of information on this board, and I hate this, I don't want to see them getting through with this.

I'll second that.

Allowing people to spread hoaxes on this forum undermines it's global internet credability, and at this point in time this is definitely the place to be for anything to do with os x on intel - zero tolerance is easy to understand and everyone is clear on the matter!

Whilst posting that something much anticipated is seeding before it is, is pointless & stupid, I have to wonder about all those who are willing to post "where where?" should we penalise them for spamming too?

It may well be that this is just one occurrence of an ongoing series of hoaxes, in which case the joke is on me (& it wouldn't be the first time) but I don't see how banning people will do anything to improve the forum.

I suggest that the admins give the perpetrator(s) & conspirator(s) a custom forum title of "Liar" "Unreliable" or similar in place of their rank.. that will give everyone fair warning next time they post..

In the meantime I intend to make some posts with titles like "WOLF! WOLF!", "Look behind you" & "Free Money". anyone replying to them will be banned for stupidity :)

Edited by Hagar

Yes I agree tag them so other users know what to expect when dealing with them and don't get taken in by their mischief. But I don't think penalising people for replying to such hoaxes will accomplish anything but they should think twice and search outside the forum before posting when such claims are announced.

In the meantime I intend to make some posts with titles like "WOLF! WOLF!", "Look behind you" & "Free Money". anyone replying to them will be banned for stupidity ;)

I don't get it...seems like perfectly good idea to me. Culling of the pathologically stupid - thats a campaign promise i'd vote on!

Hehe...Natural Selection....

Why not add a Rep system to the forums? Other forums work wonders with it, and it would help to alert users of eachother's reputation in the forums. The way it works is great as well, as the amount you can rep is limited each day, and you can adjust how many other people you have to rep before you can rep the same person again. Plus, those with less rep do not have as much of an impact on other users as those with more...

• 2 weeks later...

Terry-

Thanks for your concerns (although the post you left in that thread was nothing short of a flame).

I've checked out his blog, and I'm not sure that he's done anything wrong (there was a similar effort before the DTKs were cracked).

I'll keep watching though, and make sure that he doesn't cross the line. Since some of ideas are legit, he's free to post here.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, however - I sincerely appreciate it.