Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard [ToH] Kernel Panic

MacJordan

24 posts in this topic

I was running on my PC JaS MAC OS 10.4.8 and everything was almost perfect :). Today i tried to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard [ToH]-RC2 SSE3/SSE2 Intel Only, fixed the boot because it didn't want to boot and after that... a kernel panic

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A7BED Kernel trap at 0x0019766bc, type 14=page fault registers:

here some registers dump 

Error code 0x00000002
Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0

And that's it :(

Someone please tell me what to do

my PC has:

a ASUS P5PL2 mobo ICH7 i945 chipset

Pentium D 925 3GHz CPU and RADEON X1600 XT /atleast i know how to fix the video :) /

And all this running fine with 10.4.8

Please help me. THANK YOU!!!

if you goto:

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

and edit:

com.apple.Boot.plist

so it looks like this ( Note the -legacy ):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>

it will allow you to boot up into legacy mode

however, I have NOT found a way YET to get into Leopard any other way! (which means no fast graphics!) :)

OK, so I installed and managed to boot Leopard with -legacy and it looks great, I am posting this from Safari 3 :D. But it only detects one of my two cores, did anyone find another way to boot it without -legacy? And still haven't found from where to download the last sse3 kernel, please tell me :P. 10x

so I found this 9.1.0 speedstep/intel/amd/sse3 kernel in this server irc.osx86.hu and this channel #10.5 (look at the topic). When you start downloading the file it will be mach_ToH.

So I copied this to \ of my Leo partition. After that you have to reboot in single user mode (F8 than -s ;) )

The whole thing is that you have to delete the old mach_kernel and replace it with the new one:

the kernel must be in the root folder "/"

cd /
rm -rf /mach_kernel
cp -R /mach_toh /mach_kernel
chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel
chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel
reboot

first of all you have to make the file system writable. It will be written just before the prompt in -s mode. And i think yo have to be in sudo su mode.

good luck, and tell me if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

how did you fix the boot,

I am not able to boot either, and when i tried to boot using DVD i get same kernal panic as yours.

I was running on my PC JaS MAC OS 10.4.8 and everything was almost perfect :rolleyes: . Today i tried to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard [ToH]-RC2 SSE3/SSE2 Intel Only, fixed the boot because it didn't want to boot and after that... a kernel panic

You boot from the DVD, but when it says to press F8 at the beginning you have to press it and choose the only one option you have. That way it will boot correctly from the DVD. And then when it's loaded you have to run the terminal from the "utilities". And then you have to type in the terminal  

/usr/misc/script.sh Name_of_partition

where Name_of_partition is the name of the partition where leopard is. After that try to boot without the DVD.

I installed Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard[Toh]-Rc2 -9a581 than I got the usual panic,I followed the instructions further and in Terminal I typed /usr/misc/script.sh Leopard enter it did some stuff then said done restarted and that's where I don't know if I got it right,I press F8 then it goes to the boot options for Darwin I type -legacy take out the cd press enter and all I get is "EBios read error:Error OX32"right under follows with "Block 11760 Sector 64" it shows all this 4 times and stops.Don't know what to do from here .To the cd I installed It didn't require the Thumb Drive Files patch,at least i don't think so.So help I feel like I am not to far off.Thanks in advance...

Abit IP35-E E6750 core2duo

Visiontek X1650pro graphics

Pioneer SATA burner

Seagate SATA 160GB Hard

• 2 weeks later...

hey, MacJordan i was wondering how you coppied the 'mach_kernel' to the root of your leopard partition. I have downloaded the file but i do not know how to copy it. I cannot log into leopard using -legacy, or -x. And I do not have another OS (windows, os tiger) currently installed. I was wondering if you knew a command that could be typed from either the Leopard Install DVD Terminal, or by typing '-s' after pressing F8. I am able to copy the 'mach_kernel' to an ipod which can then be plugged in and seen by the installer. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
hey, MacJordan i was wondering how you coppied the 'mach_kernel' to the root of your leopard partition. I have downloaded the file but i do not know how to copy it. I cannot log into leopard using -legacy, or -x. And I do not have another OS (windows, os tiger) currently installed. I was wondering if you knew a command that could be typed from either the Leopard Install DVD Terminal, or by typing '-s' after pressing F8. I am able to copy the 'mach_kernel' to an ipod which can then be plugged in and seen by the installer. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Try to go to single user mode " -s ". Sorrt for the late reply, don't have much time recently. But lately i installed iATKOS 10.5.1 and it works allmost

perfect.