Uphuck Leopard release coming soon

shoarthing

82 posts in this topic

"eskurza

iATKOS Release Date Information, Posted Today, 11:53 AM

Guys,

with the new developments of booting to original kernel with a modified bootloader,

we postpone the release date of iATKOS v1 to include the new method..

iatkos will have all the patches that Tiger has.. also will have an option

to boot original kernel for core2duo and coreduo cpus..

Cheers..."

http://www.uphuck.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99

Right, I saw that thread. I check the forum every few hours. The thing is, the guy doesn't really say what the benefit is of going EFI. I read through another forum area on EFI. Is the benefit really just that you'll be able to use Bootcamp on these machines? And also that you will have the latest Apple kernels running? And that you should be able to run System software updates? Wait! That's a lot of cool stuff!

Right, I saw that thread. I check the forum every few hours. The thing is, the guy doesn't really say what the benefit is of going EFI. I read through another forum area on EFI. Is the benefit really just that you'll be able to use Bootcamp on these machines? And also that you will have the latest Apple kernels running? And that you should be able to run System software updates? Wait! That's a lot of cool stuff!

Man... Sounds too good to be true. Fingers crossed! ;)

Man... Sounds too good to be true. Fingers crossed! ;)

Well, software updates were already possible, you probably mean updates to 10.5.1 etc.? I don't really think that would be possible, though it would be absolutely great. Many systems still need modified drivers and stuff which are overwritten by just doing an upgrade, rendering the system useless again.

No, no, no!

If you'd taken the time to read the posts, you'd realise that we aren't running OS X on EFI. We're merely running a modified bootloader which injects some of the values a real EFI would have at boot time to allow an unmodded kernel and stock Apple kexts. This is not a revolution. You will not be able to boot from GUID partitions. You will not be able to use bootcamp. You will not be able to use Parallels to run a 'real' Windows install unless they remove their requirement for a GPT to be present. It's not magic.

About the only real advantage to the end user is the ability install Apple updates without f***ing the install up.

You'll still need Natit. You'll still need HDAInject. In theory the functionality of these kexts could be replicated in the bootloader, but in reality there'd be no benefit to hard-coding it that way, and detection code would probably not fit within the bootloader anyway.

No, no, no!

If you'd taken the time to read the posts, you'd realise that we aren't running OS X on EFI. We're merely running a modified bootloader which injects some of the values a real EFI would have at boot time to allow an unmodded kernel and stock Apple kexts. This is not a revolution. You will not be able to boot from GUID partitions. You will not be able to use bootcamp. You will not be able to use Parallels to run a 'real' Windows install unless they remove their requirement for a GPT to be present. It's not magic.

About the only real advantage to the end user is the ability install Apple updates without f***ing the install up.

You'll still need Natit. You'll still need HDAInject. In theory the functionality of these kexts could be replicated in the bootloader, but in reality there'd be no benefit to hard-coding it that way, and detection code would probably not fit within the bootloader anyway.

Well that's good then since 10.5.1 is coming out shortly...

No, no, no!

Still it's a godsend to be able to do software updates in a save way. That was my biggest gripe on OSX x86 untill now.

what about this??

http://www.uphuck.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99

Guys,

with the new developments of booting to original kernel with a modified bootloader,

we postpone the release date of iATKOS v1 to include the new method..

iatkos will have all the patches that Tiger has.. also will have an option

to boot original kernel for core2duo and coreduo cpus..

Cheers...

That was yestarday morning.

The Uphuck team say:

" . . . with the new developments of booting to original kernel with a modified bootloader,

we postpone the release date of iATKOS v1 to include the new method ...

iatkos will have all the patches that Tiger has . . "

PC_EFI = 'a modified bootloader'

. . a 'universal' iATKOS install DVD, if done properly, would not be entirely simple . . CoreDuo/Core2Duo installs, with this PC_EFI option, will (can) use several vanilla core OSX kexts, f'rinstance appleapciplatform, & of course use the stock Apple kernel.

I wouldn't be surprised if they split the project into SSSE3-only [PC_EFI] & SSE2/AMD DVDs

You know I just want to take a minute here and just really thank the developers and guru's who have put so much hard work into the osx86 project back to the 10.4.3 days. Guys and Girls seriously, thank you very much, without your dedicated hard work the osx86 projects could have died in their infancy.

Now with all the talk of true Mac kernel use getting us as close to true native Macs as possible I think the dev's and guru's should really be applauded. Maybe just maybe Apple will begin to take a closer look about releasing an open upgradeable lower cost tower system.

So again I say bravo, and thanks again for all the hard work Uphuck, Netkas, JaS, and all the others who have made being a Mac addict in a PC world so much easier. :)

Thank you Uphuck and team for delaying iATKOS release to add improvements, and for working on those improvements. A release that is outdated within a day or two is a bad first release. A better booting method, especially one that utilizes EFI better in any way, is far better for us all. As much as everyone else, I can't wait to try the new OS.

The new EFI thing appears to be better emulation of EFI, rather than changing to EFI from BIOS. This should have no effect on hardware.

I'm hoping for GMA900 and GMA950 support, as well as nVidia GeForce 7600GT and 6600Go MXM. Hopefully USB sound and Intel 1000GT ethernet will still work. I'm hoping for the best speedstep support possible.