OsX86 EFI bootloader install

kamikaze

106 posts in this topic

Hi ppl

Finally i got my leopard running with the EFI

I'm using the v5 version. My greatest problem was that the instructions in the readme file from the patch are misleading. The readme file says to create a /iamefi folder (in the main partition) and then run the command "./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot|_v4" . The problem is that you can't run the startupfiletool with the disk mounted. So, you have to create the folder somewere else, unmount the drive, and then run the command. When i boot the PC i can read something different after the Darwin bootlaoder. EFI.....something, so i know i have EFI installed.

Then i booted from other working osx partition that i have, removed/backup kernel and extensions, extracted vanilla kernel and all original kexts from the unmodified Leopard DVD using pacifist, applyed the original kernel and kexts and added dsmos.kext and Natit.kext, repaired permissions.

I can now boot to leopard with all original unmodified kexts. Didn't have to remove any.

Problems:

Keyboard and mousepad don't work

Sleep still doesn't work

Lost pcmcia+atheros card support

Lost Bluetooth

Time machine doesn't work

The about this mac and adobe cs3 still work. I get correct cpu and frequency

Right now my main priority is to fix the keyboard and the pcmcia. If i can't get it working i will go back to the old method

Arghhh.. all of these guides, from iGuru and kamikaze and one from DigitMemo.com are so different...

Can anyone clearly explain what people REALLY should do, what they need to emulate EFI on hackintosh?

Is there any chance for install package? That would be helps most of people.

Is anyone else getting a hang-up when trying to restart/shutdown? My screen will go black and the monitors will turn off, but my tower will stay powered on. I have to hold the power button down in order to turn it off.

Anyone know what's up?

Restart/Shutdown problem seems to be a well-known issue. Everyone running vanilla kernel seems

to get it exactly like you describe. I have yet to hear the way to get around or solve it as of now.

Hope someone can find the way to get around this very soon.....

Nykwil, can you give a little more detail on how you did it? You said:

"all i did was install the update first...then boot into a tiger or leopard disk and then installed the efi boot_v51"

Does this mean that you were running Leo TOH or Brazil and then you just run software update? Then instead of restarting from the hard drive, you booted up with your Leo disc, went into terminal, and installed EFI?

Is that correct? Thanks

Restart/Shutdown problem seems to be a well-known issue. Everyone running vanilla kernel seems

to get it exactly like you describe. I have yet to hear the way to get around or solve it as of now.

Hope someone can find the way to get around this very soon.....

ok good i thought i was the only one having this problem...hopefully it will be fixed

Is anyone else getting a hang-up when trying to restart/shutdown?

Restart/shutdown working here, running Bad Axe2 with a Q6600 and Vanilla Kernel + stock kext.

One question: I saw that your CPU is recognized in "About this Mac" did you edit it? because I get this:

post-89478-1195324047_thumb.png

ciao

Davide

Restart/shutdown working here, running Bad Axe2 with a Q6600 and Vanilla Kernel + stock kext.One question: I saw that your CPU is recognized in "About this Mac" did you edit it? because I get this:post-89478-1195324047_thumb.pngciaoDavide
yeah i edited it
Nykwil, can you give a little more detail on how you did it? You said:"all i did was install the update first...then boot into a tiger or leopard disk and then installed the efi boot_v51"Does this mean that you were running Leo TOH or Brazil and then you just run software update? Then instead of restarting from the hard drive, you booted up with your Leo disc, went into terminal, and installed EFI?Is that correct? Thanks

I am running brazilmac's leopard. Ran the 10.5.1 update from software update restarted into my tiger disk (or leaopard doesnt matter) and ran the patch from my usb stick through terminal.restarted and it worked fine.except for restarting and shutting down hanging on me everything works as it should

Hey, I been using EFI and the Leopard gm kernel and now the update for sometime without issues. I haven't had any reboot or shutdown issues. These issues exist for some but most people are running well provided you have a Core2Duo and have installed properly.

Sometimes Leopard shuts down but doesn't switch off the machine, its sporadic, most times it does. Probably related to sleep or something.

Arghhh.. all of these guides, from iGuru and kamikaze and one from DigitMemo.com are so different...

Can anyone clearly explain what people REALLY should do, what they need to emulate EFI on hackintosh?

Is there any chance for install package? That would be helps most of people.

I agree. Things are far from being clear to everybody right now.

full guide and info including on keyboard/mouse (PS2) probs, etc. cheers - jl

I don't see where are the PS2 solutions, I searched th thread for AppleACPI, PS2. PS/2, Keyboard, and mouse, none of the posts I read shows a solution with the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext and PS2 ports, maybe I'm blind B):)

Hi, (to use pc_efi_v51 you just need to repair your partitions):

I had a blinking cursor when I installed "pc_efi_v51", I solved this way:

First, uncompress the "pc_efi_v51.zip", move the "pc_efi_v51" folder to the root directory (simply drag it over the icon of your hard disk).

Write in paper the instructions, cause' you will need them later.

If the name of your OSX partition contains spaces I suggest to change it to something short and simple.

Then restart your computer using your Installation DVD, hit the first button I think it's "Continue" then look up in the menus for Terminal:

Once in Terminal type diskutil list, you'll get something like this...

/dev/disk2

#: type name size identifier

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *232.9 GB disk2

1: Apple_HFS ToH 10.0 GB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS TubGirl 25.0 GB disk2s2

3: Apple_HFS JaS 25.0 GB disk2s3

4: Apple_HFS Temporal 80.0 GB disk2s5

5: Apple_HFS Programas 80.0 GB disk2s6

6: Apple_HFS OtrasCosas 12.9 GB disk2s7

find the name of your partition and write down the identifier. In this example I'm using disk2s1 for "ToH".

Unmount that partition typing diskutil unmount disk2s1 change disk2s1 to the identifier of your OSX partition.

Once unmounted, go to the "pc_efi_v51" directory, just type cd /volumes/ToH/pc_efi_v51 change ToH with the name of your OSX partition.

Now, type startupfiletool /dev/rdisk2s1 boot_v5 change rdisk2s1 to the identifier of your OSX partition. You will see something like this:

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 812

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 25984

Now if you used the v5 you need to fix your partition, type diskutil repairVolume disk2s1 change disk2s1 to the identifier of your OSX partition, you'll get something like this:

Started verify/repair on volume disk2s1 ToH

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

Checking volume bitmap.

Volume Bit Map needs minor repair

Checking volume information.

Invalid volume free block count

(It should be 2189988 instead of 2189956)

Repairing volume.

Rechecking volume.

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

The volume ToH was repaired successfully.

Quit terminal.

Close the installer window (restart).

Maybe you have to use -legacy at the Darwin bootloader. I need it cause I used a patched kernel.

And... cross fingers.

P.D.

Can you boot with vanilla kernel with Pentium D? no, for Pentium D pc_efi_v51 can't use Apple Kernel,

Can you use vanilla kexts?, yes, but don't try to change too many or you will loose some edits that make your PC hardware to work in MacOS X, just keep a back-up if you're experimenting!

I have installed the pc_efi_v3 boot loader on my system - test partition first and then the normal use one. I also installed the "EFI_Post_Install_Package_GIGABYTE_P35_DSx.zip" package using Pacifist to install it on the non-current boot partition.

Everything still works as far as I can tell. DVD player still works using the new AppleSMBIOS.kext. CS3 still runs :)

I doubt it will make any great difference in the system as I am running a P4 SSE3 with hyperthreading - the system specs are in the signature. Still, I do see some cosmetic differences in the system profiler. The model name is now Mac and the model id is the actual IBM ThinkCentre model number. Also, notice the new Boot ROM serial number.

Well, a person has to find value where they can :(

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	8183XXD
 Processor Speed:	3 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 L2 Cache:	512 KB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	Hack.int.0sh
 Serial Number:	6A57448

Can you tell us what Intel Chipset yr system Mobo (IBM ThinkCentre Desktop 8183) uses?

I ask because I have an ASUS mobo that uses socket845/chipset 865PE/P4 3.0G/SEE3.

I read from somewhere that the EFI simulation only work on boards that uses Intel Chipset 915 or better.

I am very interest to know whether my system is compatible to run EFI or not?

TIA

I don't see where are the PS2 solutions, I searched th thread for AppleACPI, PS2. PS/2, Keyboard, and mouse, none of the posts I read shows a solution with the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext and PS2 ports, maybe I'm blind ;):)

Hi MacGirl!

Sorry fore the confusion. The Vanilla ACPIPlatform.kext does NOT support PS2. So to use PS2 (any laptop keyboard or mouse) you must use the hacked ACPIPlatform.kext PLUS the ApplePS2Controller.kext. So use the latest ACPIPlatform from Toh or off your BrazilMac install. That's it and you will have it. The PS2 hack into the ACPI is serious work (not just plist work as you found out). I am not sure of the history of it and how much work it would be to get it going in the new version, but in the meantime I am off chasing sound on my laptop :-) cheers - jl

Thank you very much, is not a matter of life or dead, even if I really need to put the vanilla ACPIPlatform kext I still use an USB KB, since the mouse I use is a Bleutooth I have no problem.

I wish I can get sound on my speakers too :)

Thanks! Got it working :-) One step closer to a non-hacky install!

I encounter the same Kernel Panic after installing EFI V5 as u reported earlier.

What exactly does removing EFI.kext do to your 10.5.0 OS X?

Can you run vanilla kernel and what model is it showing in GeekBench?

Any negative impacts running Leopard?

TIA

I have a badaxe 2 as well, which stock kext did you put back. I am being careful as to not hose my installation that is purring right now. I would like to be as vanilla Leopard as possible though. Also I am running efi v5.1 I and see that v6 is out now. Is it just a simple boot into single-mode and rerun the startup file tool again but with the new file. Also there was mention of the 8800GTX working without natit does that mean I can remove nvinject and my 8800GTX will still work especially with dual screens?

Restart/shutdown working here, running Bad Axe2 with a Q6600 and Vanilla Kernel + stock kext.

One question: I saw that your CPU is recognized in "About this Mac" did you edit it? because I get this:

post-89478-1195324047_thumb.png

ciao

Davide