OsX86 EFI bootloader install

kamikaze

106 posts in this topic

Ok, I got it working... I got the latest v3 and jumped in, let me post the modified script I used. You might want to change it at your likings.

The kernel and extensions in the script are the originals from the Leo GM DVD (except for SMB which comes from the v3 pkg). I wonder if I should replace/restore all the other patched/removed ext ?! any idea ?

Last point, you use the Terminal from the install CD (look in the menu). I personally dropped all these files on a USB key it's easier...

Functionaly speaking it doesn't change much.. and you will still need patched ext if your hardware is not recognized out of the box. But it does run the stock kernel, that's really cool...

Requirements:

* A Core 2 Duo, NO AMD!

* A mother board with an ICH5 or better (for the HPET)

* drop the original kernel, the original ACPI ext and the modified SMBIOS in $PATCH

* Read the script below carefully to understand what it does

Finally MAKE A BACKUP !!!!! This way if it fails, you can use terminal from the install CD to replace the system back to its original settings.

PATCH="/iamefi" # location when the files are located

LEO="/Volumes/OSX" # path to Leopard installation

VOL="/dev/rdisk0s1" # point to the disk holding $LEO, use mount to figure it out

echo Replacing Kernel

cp -R $PATCH/mach_kernel $LEO/mach_kernel

chmod -R 644 $LEO/mach_kernel

chown -R root:wheel $LEO/mach_kernel

echo Replacing extensions

rm -rf $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

rm -rf $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

#rm -rf $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext NOT REQUIRED WITH V3

cp -R $PATCH/AppleACPIPlatform.kext $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R $PATCH/AppleSMBIOS.kext $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/* && chown -R root:wheel $LEO/System/Library/Extensions/*

echo installing EFI boot

umount $LEO

./startupfiletool $VOL ./boot

echo Success !!

Ok, I got the EFI package from the regular place.

I am a little concerned about the instalation process: It says

"to install bootloader, first remove appleefiruntime.kext

then create Dirrectory iamefi in root of your boot osx disk

an d copy all files from unpacked achieve to it

boot to single user mode (press f8 durring boot(after bios booted) type -s and press enter)

then make next commands

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot

and reboot"

the problem... is that the boot file is 60KB !? This sounds weird for a bootloader to be that big. We are usually talking a few kb.

-> Does this loader works with MBR partitions ? Also, aren't we suppose to unmount the volume before installing ?!

I just don't want to break my current install....

I run two osx86 partitions just for stuff like this. Boot one and backup the other. Then experiment on the one I just backed up.

I followed the instructions in the read-me file and had a problem. The system would not boot. That was because of the AppleSMbios file. I had to restore the original one from my Extensions-Backup folder. Then it would boot to the GUI and run as before.

With a little caution you should be OK. Although, I am not sure it will do anything for you unless you have a Core 2 Duo system.

Good luck!

Sorry to sound new but what is this EFI bootloader do?

I know apples use EFI, but what does this do?

Read the title.

It allows you to use OS X without modifying the kernel.

Please can someone finally say is it possible now to install from original Leopard GM DVD?

Undestand that we are noobs ;)

. . you *can* install from an image of the retail DVD, if you have the latest beta of Pacifist & a Tiger install on another HDD.

. . but it is very tough to get right & best to wait for a PCI_EFI-based install DVD from the usual suspects.

. . you *can* install from an image of the retail DVD, if you have the latest beta of Pacifist & a Tiger install on another HDD.

. . but it is very tough to get right & best to wait for a PCI_EFI-based install DVD from the usual suspects.

Thanks for the answer,

...so I have to wait because I can't even start installation, my laptop reboots while Darwin is loading... ;):wacko:

A lot of progress seems to be made so far, I wouldn't worry about using this installation method yet if you're a n00b. Trust me, just wait a little longer. These noobs are flooding the irc channel with simple questions that can be answered on the forums. We are all new at one time, but it's best for you guys to leave it alone until it really gets worked out. It'll be VERY worth it! :(:) :)

Well I need the modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext in order to have ApplePS2 kexts :)

macgirl, you can actually run the original if you edit Info.plist.

you need to insert the following keys. these are taken from the modified AppleACPIPlatform.

i don't know if the order is relevant but i had mine inserted before <key>ACPI Platform Expert</key>

<key>ACPI PS/2 Nub</key>
			<dict>
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AppleACPIPS2Nub</string>
					<key>IONameMatch</key>
					<array> 
							<string>PNP0303</string>
							<string>PNP030B</string>
					</array>
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>
					<integer>1000</integer>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
					<key>MouseNameMatch</key>
					<array> 
							<string>PNP0F03</string>
							<string>PNP0F0B</string>
							<string>PNP0F13</string>
							<string>PNP0F0E</string>
					</array>
			</dict>

EFI bootloader is bigger then 60KB lol, if you use a Linux CD to erase and blank out your drive you can use the Leopard installer to make your HDD GUID, and then you get this:

WDXXXX - XXXGB - GUID

disk0s1 - 200MB - EFI

disk0s2 - XXXGB - Leopard

This is what I get when I partition the drive using diskutil on the leopard installer. so this EFI install thing really is intrguing. Right now I use the altered kernel, and my drive is MBR.

macgirl, you can actually run the original if you edit Info.plist.

you need to insert the following keys. these are taken from the modified AppleACPIPlatform.

i don't know if the order is relevant but i had mine inserted before ACPI Platform Expert

<key>ACPI PS/2 Nub</key>
			<dict>
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AppleACPIPS2Nub</string>
					<key>IONameMatch</key>
					<array> 
							<string>PNP0303</string>
							<string>PNP030B</string>
					</array>
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>
					<integer>1000</integer>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
					<key>MouseNameMatch</key>
					<array> 
							<string>PNP0F03</string>
							<string>PNP0F0B</string>
							<string>PNP0F13</string>
							<string>PNP0F0E</string>
					</array>
			</dict>

Thank you very much :)

EDIT:

Didn't work :D

I have to say, I was just - I mean JUST saying this in the shower this morning. How come there isn't a bootloader to emulate the hardware so you don't need hacked kernels? You know, like Vista's OEM activation bootloader...

Here is my answer. I cannot WAIT to see the progress on this. A hack free kernel would be a beautiful thing...especially if you can update normally without having to rehack.

I will be watching this project VERY closely.