Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

Sorry mac.nub, it seems dell does something silly with their laptop displays...I had someone else test on irc with their dell, and they had the same problem.

Its gonna be near impossible for me to fix it cause I don't have one to test on.

Paulicat.

Paulicat, have you seen this post by iGuru?

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2734

the mouse tearing goes away when an external monitor is attached with vanilla graphic kexts. Seems like there is something that can be done without too much effort?

what do you think?

Just a request, please do not forget about us GMAX3100 users (mostly Dell and Compaq) who can't seem to get theirs working on the internal display. I realize the gurus are probably fairly busy, but it has been several days since I have any posts or requests for data regarding this issue. We would appreciate your help when you can get to us.

We have a separate thread going over here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784

It doesn't seem to be only GMA X3100s on Dell that don't work with this Natit, but GMA950s too. It's evident that Dell is doing something different in their video BIOSes to the rest of the industry (which has been noted regarding backlight control in OS X before too) - if somebody with a Dell could post their IOReg output with this Natit loaded, perhaps by logging in after boot with VNC or Apple remote desktop if the machine's not actually locked (ioreg -l -w0 >> ioreg.txt) I'll see if I can spot any obvious differences between that and a real MacBook to get to the root of this problem.

It doesn't seem to be only GMA X3100s on Dell that don't work with this Natit, but GMA950s too. It's evident that Dell is doing something different in their video BIOSes to the rest of the industry (which has been noted regarding backlight control in OS X before too) - if somebody with a Dell could post their IOReg output with this Natit loaded, perhaps by logging in after boot with VNC or Apple remote desktop if the machine's not actually locked (ioreg -l -w0 >> ioreg.txt) I'll see if I can spot any obvious differences between that and a real MacBook to get to the root of this problem.

sounds great. please try to get in touch with iGuru

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2734

he has a Dell Inspiron 6400 and knows what he is doing. Hope there is a solution.

thanks

If the GMA950 kext doesn't work with the GMA3000/GMA3100, then I'm afraid you're out of luck as I see it. It's beyond our abilities and the available time to write a full, accelerated graphics driver for OS X for graphics cards that aren't supported, only do what we can to get the existing drivers to work.

The best thing I can suggest is picking up a cheap card like a GeForce 7300 that is known to work. Sorry.

mac.nub, have you tried the combination of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer v. 1.4.20 (which is what i believe ToH RC2 installs) along with the vanilla AppleIntelGMA950 v. 1.5.18 (which i don't think was updated on 10.5.1, so would be the stock kext from 10.5) and no natit?

on my D620, that combination of kexts is giving me a pretty close to perfect display, although here and there sometimes i get a little grey square artifact (often -- not always -- near the apple menu) or an orphan image of the mouse pointer somewhere on the screen. not really often, and not really bad. dragging a window or something over these artifacts erases them.

my graphics chipset has all the same vendor, device, and revision ID's as yours.

are you running efi there? or if not, what kernel is that? i am running a 9.1.0 ToH kernel from IRC.

I have this same issue, but with an ASRock ConRoe1333-D667 motherboard. Which is odd.

Hmm,

Using the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext that ToH installs, I get resolution changing which allows me to set my native resolution of 1440x900. But I get tearing and artifacts in some apps like iTunes.

If I use the kext from 10.5.1, I get a better display but with no resolution changing at all. Even adding a resolution to com.apple.Boot.plist does not work.

I've tried the Natit kext that Paulicat supplied for GMA950 Desktops, and it doesn't make any difference.

This is on an ASRock Conroe1333-D667 board. Am I doing something wrong? My device ID is correctly in the kexts.

same motherboard and same problem.. ASRock Conroe1333-D667

Are you running EFI?

edit: hmm, running the 10.5.1 kext means I lose the effects when you start frontrow, even though system profiler says I have hardware accelerated Core Image and Quartz Extreme supported.

Hmm,

Using the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext that ToH installs, I get resolution changing which allows me to set my native resolution of 1440x900. But I get tearing and artifacts in some apps like iTunes.

If I use the kext from 10.5.1, I get a better display but with no resolution changing at all. Even adding a resolution to com.apple.Boot.plist does not work.

I've tried the Natit kext that Paulicat supplied for GMA950 Desktops, and it doesn't make any difference.

This is on an ASRock Conroe1333-D667 board. Am I doing something wrong? My device ID is correctly in the kexts.

that is the identical scenario I have on my Dell 6400 with gma950. In my case an external display will work perfectly fine with the stock framebuffer.kext but otherwise will show me a black screen. I went back to ToH's and I get the tearing which I can rid of mostly via mousepose.

Hey,

I just upgraded to 10.5.1. At first w/o the Natit kext i would boot straight to a plain blue screen, though i would have external monitor support. (i'm on a laptop with a gma950) So i went back to my old frame buffer kext and the native display worked again, albeit with the old artifacts. My second attempt was the 1.5.18 framebuffer with Natit installed. Instead of the blue screen i get intense flickering. The weird thing is the second i plug in an external monitor the flickering stops on the laptops native display. Also, even though Natit is in my extensions directory i never see it loaded. I can force load it with kextload but i figure it must be doing something since my problem went form one of a plain blue screen to one of flickering. Either way, i had to go to the old hacked frame buffer to get to any sort of working desktop. Any thoughts?