Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

I updated Leopard today to 10.5.1, after I rebooted I wanted to make sure everything was loading fine.

When went into System Profiler and looked at my Extensions I noticed this.

sys_ext.jpg

If you notice, I have highlighted the 950kext, framebufferkext, and also for some reason it is loading the x3100kext.

Does this mean something is calling on that kext to run or is it just a glitch, or could this be what is causing every one elses graphic mouse glitching?

I still only get one resolution also.

Hi,

Since there are people having good feedback on GMA 950 in 10.5.1, are there people having good experience with X3100? I'm having problems with the pc_efi right now and I might have to wait for modded kernel. It looks like Dell is STILL having some problems even with 10.5.1, how about the Non-Dell X3100s?

THanks.

The new kexts are being loading perfectly...

Now I think all gma950 users will have no tearings problems...

Problem with resolutions were also solved!:P

Just use new gam950 kexts,AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kext and the Natit.kext from 10.5.0 :D

Have a nice night from Greece:)

which Natit.kext did u used?

Trying to force loading of the last Natit "kextload -t..." and Natit loaded, but no dependencies.

Of course. Your device ID (G31 - 8086 29c2) isn't in it. Nobody has tried any of the G31/G33 GMAs yet. There isn't a driver explicitly to support them as Apple doesn't use them. You could try adding it to the GMA950 section of Natit's Info.plist and the same to the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer/GMA950 kexts, it might work, since the GMAs in G31/G33 are really just clocked up GMA 950s - it might be that they won't work because Intel made some other changes though.

It almost definitely won't work with the GMA X3100 kexts. The GMA X3000(G965)/X3100(GM965)/X3500(G35) is a completely different architecture to GMA 950(940/945G/M/L)/3000(G31)/3100(G33).

Actually, perhaps this topic's title needs changing. It says GMA 3100, rather than X3100, for some reason...

Hi,

I managed to install 10.5.1 with my Sony Vaio and fortunately, the video distortion and glitches were gone. I also have an GMAX3100 not GMA 3100 (I have GM965 chipset). The only distortion I have is the bottom part of the screen which is probably normal since I can't maximize my resolution to x800 (only x768). Is it really normal? The maximum resolution that my LCD can handle is 1280x800 (windows). Having my resolution in 1280x768 is ok, but its not that fine, its kinda blurry. I also experience the same blurriness in Windows in x768 resolution so that justifies that its not a kext or OSX problem. However, if I use 1280x768 in Windows there is NO bottom vertical line distortion. Blurry but no bottom line distortion. I got a feeling that if I find a way to maximize my resolution its gonna be fine. Icons, text will be sharp like a real macbook. Right now, I have CI/QE running but the images, icons, letters, etc are not sharp.

I guess my questions are: Is there a way to maximize the resolution to x800?? How can one know the EDID of an LCD and how to add it in OSX? Is it even possible?

This is a screenshot of what I'm talking about: (GRAB doesn't show the blur thats why I used a camera)

IMG_1260.jpg

As you can see, the bottom line is blurred. In fact, the whole vertical line is (probably half an inch in height).

Again, all the other glitches that I've experienced with the older build are ALL GONE. I just hope someone can help me solve this bottom line distortion.

P.S: After I've updated and installed 10.5.1, I noticed that the Natit.kext is not loaded. EVenthough the kext was NOT loaded, the old glitch problems were GONE. My system booted normally without the Natit.kext loaded having 1280x768 reso. I forced to load the Natit.kext and it made NO difference. Is it adviced to have Natit.kext always loaded?

Thanks for all the people who continued in helping with this issue. Great work!

Keplenk

Same from me...

Natit is not loaded!

However glitches are gone:)

Just use SwitchResX program...

I have 1280x800 quartz enabled without glithes....I am very happy:)

THanks for your reply zikman,

Thank freaggin nailed it!!! Installed SwitchResX and made my custom resolution and it worked like a charm!

x800 problem solved!

atlonglast.jpg

The graphics now is more beautiful. Its still kinda blurry but not like the 1280x768 .. this is way better. Im going to try and play around with SwitchResX ..

THanks again. Everything works with beauty right now.

For those of you who are still unable to get your GMA X3100 working at all, I have started a new thread. This thread can be found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784

I hope that Azurael, Paulicat, and the other gurus who have been working on this problem will come check in on this new thread every so often.

I did this because their seems to be an overflow of information in this thread. I figured separating out the GMA950 and the GMA X3100 might make things a bit easier for people seeking information.

Same from me...

Natit is not loaded!

However glitches are gone:)

Just use SwitchResX program...

I have 1280x800 quartz enabled without glithes....I am very happy:)

Hey zikman,

Please, be a little more specific how did you use SwitchResX and what are your specs?

Your answer will be strongly appreciated.

x3100 working!!

sony vaio i965 and X3100

this is my how to:

-install brazilmac leopard

-postpatch making leopard volume bootable

-install efi

-upgrade to 10.5.1

-fully working!

full HOW TO:

-install brazilmac leopard

-postpatch making leopard volume bootable

-install EFI

-upgrade to 10.5.1

-install paulicat natit.kext (thanks!!!)

-switch resolution so as to solve white screen problem. using http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0282&st=60# (thanks!!!)

-install switchresx and make a custom resolution (1200x800x32@60)

-dual screen fully working with QE/CI enabled.

x3100.kext 10.5.1 attached

Archive.zip

For All GMA950 Users:

Suppose you have Leopard 10.5.0 installed!

Do the following....

Remove ALL gma 950 kexts as well as the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and the Natit.kext

In the Extensions folder put the gma 950 kexts from 10.5.1 and the new AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kext (U can use Pacifist to extract them from the 10.5.1 update)

You also have to put the Natit.kext that Paulicat has releases (Attention: The FIRST ONE!!!It is ver important)

Repair Permissions and reboot....

After reboot you can see a streched screen...

All you have to do is to connect an external monitor...

After this you can see that laptop's diplay is still streched but external display is working normally!:(

So using System Preferences, Displays move the window to the external monitor...then.....gather windows and select a resolution for laptop display higher than 800x600...

(The problem of streched display is because of the defaul resolution 800x600 that doesnt work)

Then all you have to do is unplug the external monitor....Laptop's display now works but at wrong resoltion....

From here on you can use swithresX or DisplayConfigX utility in order to set a custom resolution of 1280x800 (1024x600 in my case (Vaio UX280P) )

Everything now is working perfect!

Hope that i helped the community:)

When I edit com.apple.Boot.plist to use resolution 1400x900x32 it does not work.Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

You can't use that resolution in your com.apple.Boot.plist, as it isn't a supported by the bootloader. To view which resolutions are supported, press F8 when the bootloader starts, then at the prompt, type ?video <enter>

--------------------------------------------

I haven't been able to get this Natit method to work on my GMA950 based desktop system. My monitor has a resolution of 1440x900, thus it isn't a resolution supported in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

Also, I tried several combinations of 10.5 and 10.5.1 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kexts to no avail. I inspected the Info.plist and found that the correct device id is listed.

Maybe I'll just get a cheap PCIexpress16 card with an nVidia chipset and stop worrying about the gma950 headaches.

Well, I found out something interesting today about (at least) the Dell Inspiron 6400 GMA950 and 10.5.1 Installed - with NO natit, you can plug up an external monitor, provided you have the EFI patch installed and it will display everything fine.

However, when you do this, it seems the Internal screen is not detected - maybe this is what is causing the problems with Dells?

dellleows1.th.png

Note: The external display has no graphics glitching, mouse tearing etc. it seems now it's just a matter of somehow detecting and properly initializing the internal one...

~mac.nub

mac.nub, have you tried the combination of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer v. 1.4.20 (which is what i believe ToH RC2 installs) along with the vanilla AppleIntelGMA950 v. 1.5.18 (which i don't think was updated on 10.5.1, so would be the stock kext from 10.5) and no natit?

on my D620, that combination of kexts is giving me a pretty close to perfect display, although here and there sometimes i get a little grey square artifact (often -- not always -- near the apple menu) or an orphan image of the mouse pointer somewhere on the screen. not really often, and not really bad. dragging a window or something over these artifacts erases them.

my graphics chipset has all the same vendor, device, and revision ID's as yours.

are you running efi there? or if not, what kernel is that? i am running a 9.1.0 ToH kernel from IRC.

Hmmm. Tried this on my Dell D820 (GMA950 display) and no cigar.

It obviously works a treat using the Tiger framebuffer, but that = artifacts.

I'll try messing with external display as Mac.Nub has said and see if that sheds any light on the situation. I'm wondering if the new AGPGart posted elsewhere will help?

Thanks, Paul.

My X3100 in HP DV9500t is working with CI/QE now, and switching resolution works as well.

Only a small issue: using native resolution of 1680x1050 will show me a pure blue screen with no manu/icon/dock/mouse; tryed booting into safe mode with 1680x1050, the components appeared, with crashed mouse cursor (like several dashs in 3 lines at a small area), how ever I can move the cursor and click items. So I choosed resolution to 1600x1000 and reboot, then the Leopard is good.

Is it because of the 144M vram with the X3100? Can we adjust it?

Again, thanks for everybodys effort to making X3100 working!