Overheating in OSx86?

Baal

44 posts in this topic

has anyone managed to solve this?

Intel and AMD have Windows drivers to reduce the CPU voltage and frequency when the CPU Idle (via SpeedStep and Cool'n'Quiet mechanism respectfully).

I have a little utility called CoreDuoTemp in OSX that shows clockspeeds in OSX (10.4.11), and I never see the Core 2 Duo T7600 in my iMac throttling down. Oh, there is CoolBook maybe that will work. I do know running CrystalCPUID or RMClock under Parallels

doesn't work. SpeedIt looks like a free alternative to CoolBook.

thx for your reply. will check those apps.

but i suspect that it is the gpu fan on my ati 1950xtx thats making most of the noise since deleting extensions mentioned above didn't improve anything.

and i think its somehow tied with all those nifty quartz effects in os x. since this level of noise can only be reproduced while playing 3d games on vista (same comp.)

but i suspect that it is the gpu fan on my ati 1950xtx thats making most of the noise.

Swap the ATI heatsink/fan for something quieter. I use an Intel Pentium 4 heatsink on my X800GTO, but there are lots of retail coolers designed to cool an X1950XTX quietly.

definitly gpu fan. i stopped cpu & chassis fans all together. same noise level.

My old laptop used to do that and found out that it was a bios error. Try re-flashing/updating your bios but MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT ONE or you'll brick your computer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So far so good with deleting the AppleCPUThermo.kext. My system seems to keep the fan on and never turn it off, but it is low. Not sure how good or bad that is yet. I think an edited AppleCPUThermo.kext would probably be better solution for everyone.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals, im new to this mac os x86 so please be patient with me.

i have installed os leo 10.5.1 on my hp pavilion dv1680eA. The install went fine and the partition is MBR. everything is working perfectly apart from im overheating quickly. my core temps are at around 69 degress c. after a hour or so my computer shuts down due to over heating. i really want to get this problem fixed its doing my head in. i deleted the applecputhermo and appleintelpowermanagement kext but its still cooking.

can anybody help me?

p.s speedit does not work

thanks in advance

Question for this topic...

I haven't had any forced shutdowns from overheating...at least nothing that I KNEW was from overheating, but I use a program called Temperature Monitor to check my core tems and they seems to hang around the mid to high 50s....

I'm running an HP Pavilion DV8000t with dual T2600 Cores 2.16 GHZ with Leopard 10.5.2 iAtkos v2. After my computer has been running awhile, I notice a good bit of warmth in my trackpad and throughout the rest of the computer....the fan will speed up a little, sometimes, but never as loud as it would on Windows. I don't have either of the thermal kexts in my extensions folder, so I'm not sure if I should be worried or what I would change or try to change.

So should I be worried?

Sorry for a bit of OT. But how did you guys measures your CPU temperature? I have a C2Q Q9450 on X35 mobo, Hardware Monitor (licensed version) and Temperature Monitor never work for me. They just don't see any CPU temperature sensors.

Thanks

Kenneth

• 2 months later...
Sorry for a bit of OT. But how did you guys measures your CPU temperature? I have a C2Q Q9450 on X35 mobo, Hardware Monitor (licensed version) and Temperature Monitor never work for me. They just don't see any CPU temperature sensors.

Thanks

Kenneth

Same problem here. The only temp I see is the HD.

• 1 year later...

I have a hp 6820s (core2duo 2GHz) with iPC 10.5.6 vanilla kernel install, upgraded to 10.5.8

I started to monitor my cpu temperatures, and it turned out, that the system is overheated a little bit.

I had 70-72 C temperatures for both core in idle state. The fan was working at low speed, but it seemed that it's not enough to cool down the system.

So i installed voodoopower.kext, and the temperatures were better, but still high a little bit.

I decided to try one other pack from the install dvd called PowerManagement package.

This time the cpu fan started to work at lower temperatures. With this configuration i managed to lower the system idle state temperature to 56-60 C which is a great achievement compared to the previous results. The fan is still working at low speed, it's not noisy at all, so i can live with it easily.

But on the other hand this package caused problems with my USB controller and i could not use the USB mouse and keyboard. The error messages were:

Class "AppleACPIPS2Nub" is duplicate

Duplicate class

kmod_control/start failed for com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub; destroying kmod

^[[33mFailed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub.

^[[0mStarting AppleACPIPS2Nub

USBF: 0.851 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3880000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource

USBF: 0.853 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3880000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 0.868 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

USBF: 5.864 AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIMUSBF: 5.865 AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIM

I definitely wanted to stick with the new cpu fan behavior and i wanted to use the usb devices also, so i started to think about a solution.

I had the option to turn off one of the cores, but i wanted to keep the extra power, it comes handy :D

So i compared the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the 10.5.8 update with the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the "PowerManagement" package.

It turned out that the PowerManagement package contains a few more kexts in the Contents/Plugins than the 10.5.8 native version. So i tried to guess which kexts needed for the correct fan control and power management, and which kexts are unnecessary, and causing troubles for me.

The kexts in the 10.5.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext (Contents/Plugins):

AppleACPIButtons.kext

AppleACPIEC.kext

AppleACPIPCI.kext

The kexts in the PowerManagement package's AppleACPIPlatform.kext (Contents/Plugins):

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIButtons.kext

AppleACPIEC.kext

AppleACPILPC.kext

AppleACPIPCI.kext

AppleACPIPowerSource.kext

AppleACPIThermal.kext

ApplePCIConfigurator.kext

so i modified the PowerManagement package's AppleACPIPlatform.kext to look like this:

AppleACPIButtons.kext

AppleACPIEC.kext

AppleACPILPC.kext

AppleACPIPCI.kext

AppleACPIPowerSource.kext

AppleACPIThermal.kext

I installed the modified kext, and there was no more error message on the console, the usb was working, and the fan is also.

The idle temperatures: 56-60 C

The high load temperatures: 72-76 C

It could be better, but i was satisfied with the results, i stick with this config :(

Tools i used for monitoring: MSR Tools, Temperature Monitor and GenericCPUPMControl

I thought i could share the experience, since i tried all the methods described in this post, and i was not succeeded with neither of them (the kext deleting methods).

The modified kext is attached.

AppleACPIPlatform_FanWorkingMod.zip

• 5 months later...

This kext worked great for me on a Compaq 770US running ideneb 1.4 upgraded to 10.5.8 via software update. Temperatures were running high until I installed this kext, and now it's running at 40 degrees (with CPU throttling). It no longer feels hot to the touch on the bottom.

Thanks!