Overheating in OSx86?

Baal

44 posts in this topic

I'm running Leopard, everything is working perfectly but my cpu fan goes into turbo mode and stays there as long as OSX is running. The system also feels much warmer. I installed temperature monitor for OSX and it reads 74C on all four of my cores! Activity monitor shows cpu idle at near 100% yet it continues to run hot. In XP the same system runs much cooler, cpu at around 45C. Anyone else notice this with their systems?

hello Baal,<br /> i have the same problem as you, what i noticed is with TIGER , only uphuck v1.3 updated with 10.4.10 from pascal w prevent me from this trouble, yesterday i tried the XxX 10.4.10 and it was the same, fans ran crazy and when i copied the /library/extensions from uphuck to XxX the problem was away ( but it's TIGER) and with LEO flat image i didn't found the solution yet...still searching...in the noise of the fans !!

PS : it was the same with kalyway 9A527

Your mention of it going away when you copied the extensions gave me an idea. I took a look at the list of extensions loaded and noticed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Delete it followed by extensions.mkext, reboot and enjoy a cool and quiet system!! No more overheating and noise. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Your mention of it going away when you copied the extensions gave me an idea. I took a look at the list of extensions loaded and noticed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Delete it followed by extensions.mkext, reboot and enjoy a cool and quiet system!! No more overheating and noise. :thumbsup_anim:

Hello. I Couldnt find AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in my extension. How about AppleCPUThermo.kext ? Should i delete this one?

• 1 month later...

I'm having this issue as well. CPU temp at 77 degrees when idling. Runs under 40 in Vista. Can someone walk me thru removing whatever kexts I need to fix this. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext doesn't show up anywhere. Can it be found and deleted from within Leopard or do I have to do it from a terminal prompt after booting from the install DVD.

Remove AppleCPUthermo.kext, and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and remove extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache.

How do I go about removing them. Can I do it within Leopard or do I have to do it from Terminal? If Terminal what are the commands?

You dont have to delete the mkext in leopard, it recreates a new mkext every time you modify something in the extensions folder, it happens practically instantly. You'll notice that the mkext has a timestamp thats newer than when you deleted/edited the kext, plus if you watch it youll see it create a backup then delete/recreate itself.

Alright removing those kexts (not all were there) I've got my idle temps down to 58 degrees. That's still 18 degrees than idle speed in Vista. Anybody got any ideas? I'm running a E6600 on a Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard. My video card is a 8800 GTS. When my screensaver comes up, my temps jump almost instantly to 71 degrees if it's a 3D screensaver.

My computer shut down because of overheating and I have a Celeron 420 well I checked and it was under constant 100% load before I deleted the two aforementioned kexts and now is at 10% and cool. It was a lot cooler under Tiger though.

Can anyone report back on how these suggestions worked for you?

I'm interested in reducing the noise level of my case fans (not necessarily the CPU fan).

Does removing the AppleCPUthermo kext achieve this?

Thanks

Can anyone report back on how these suggestions worked for you?

I'm interested in reducing the noise level of my case fans (not necessarily the CPU fan).

Does removing the AppleCPUthermo kext achieve this?

Thanks

yup, I just did it and work fantastic, my temperature is now in 38 C from 54 C

yup, I just did it and work fantastic, my temperature is now in 38 C from 54 C

Interesting. I removed the kext last night and noticed no real difference in fan activity or case temperature (which is all I can read from within OSX).

So, not wanting to screw up an otherwise perfect install, I put the kext back where I found it...

My question: Is this kext supposed to control case fans via the motherboard--or does it handle just the CPU fan?

Nice! Fixed my fan speed problems right away! They were going like crazy even when I wasn't doing anything & both cores were consistently <5%, so I knew there wasn't any legit heat issue. I even ran some of the programs I know got the fans moving on my MacBook and with Tiger on my Hackintosh & these did show an increase in fan speed, so removing the kext doesn't shut down fan response, it just changes it

FYI, Intel 945 GNTR(?) board, Pentium D CPU(2.67 GHz), 300GB SATA w/10.5.1 (iAtkos).

I had this problem on mylaptop. It would be lik 60-70C and then I remove the AppleCPUthermo.kext; and the temps went back down to about 43C (same as in Windows). I noticed last night that the temps where back up at 60-70C and I haven't changed anything. Anyone have any ideas as to how this could happen?

I am again having some heat issues and was wondering if anyone else was seeing them.

When I installed KALYWAY I deleted 2 kexts by running the commands below. It wasn't until deleting the AppleCPUthermo.kext did I see the temps go down. The temps are back up and I haven't changed a thing. Anyone have any ideas as to why? 77 Degrees Celcius at idel is a little hot when Vista is at 40C.

What I did

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUthermo.kext

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then I ran the Disk Permission Repair utility followed by a reboot. I have also done the commands above then rebooted without the repair; the problem persists.

• 5 weeks later...