Realtek 8139 internet and ethernet connection too slow RTL8139 (solved)

gramshi

37 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

i have a Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 mainboard with VIA Rhine network card. the connection was dropping randomly so i bought a network card with Realtek 8139 chipset. and i am still experiencing connection drop. no clues yet about what is going on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've eventually got my DLINK DFE-690TXD (RTL8139) up to speed on Leopard (10.5.6) - as others have reported, it was OK on Tiger.

Installed the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext file downloaded from this topic but couldn't get that working - one of the errors was something to do with incompatible architecture (?). Also, tried the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from Tiger but that was actually the same as installed with Leopard (or at least it wasn't changed when I upgraded).

So, went back to the original and did the following:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

**edit AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext -> Contents/Info.plist IOKitPersonalities->RTL8139 PCI Adapter->IOPCIMatch 0x813910ec 0x13401186 0x12111113 (was 0x813910ec 0x13001186 0x12111113 but deviceID=0x1340 and VendorID=0x1186 for particular card)

**note that when editing using the default Property List Editor it wouldn't save due to not having permission so I dragged the file to the desktop, edited in TextEdit and dragged back again. (If you want to edit in the terminal window then I suggest using pico - e.g. pico Info.plist - commands are listed at the bottom of the screen ... easy!). You should check that the permissions are as follows using ls -l Info.plist

drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel etc. **if not then sudo chmod 755 Info.plist (make sure you are in correct directory)

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

sudo kextload -v -t /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

**note that the kextunload appears to be an important step otherwise the device is not changed.

Hope this is of some help. Might save someone a day of hunting around the web. I was certainly glad when I came across this topic!

Geoff

• 2 months later...
Download this attachment,

PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip

open terminal and apply these codes.

gramshi, I  did what you adviced, but the connection just disappeared - thenetwork status shows that  cable is unplugged, though I checked - it is :blink:. I also was stupid enough to not to backup the original file, so the question now is - how to return it back, and what other ways may be not to make connection just work, but to work at full speed.

PS I use Hackintost release by xXx XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2.iso

PPS Sorry for my pour English

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Download this attachment,

PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip

open terminal and apply these codes.

sudo su
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

thats allright

Aew cara, valeu mesmo hein, to usando o Leo4All v2 (Leopard 10.5.2) num CCE NCV-H5C6 e so faltava fazer funcionar a internet adsl e gracas a este post consegui, tinha tentado de tudo e nada.

Muitissimo obrigado.

Att.

Diego Uchoa

thanks a lot dude.

this work very well for me with this hackintosh that I`m using.

Bye.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

it works for me too!!

I have installed iatkos s3 v2, with default 153 version of AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext I got the version 141 of my lepo 10.6.5 and works!!

Internet go faster again!!

Thanks

Try this:

Replace the plugins in IONetwokingFamily.kext (current loepard version 1.6.0) with the plugins from Tiger version 1.5.1. Repair permissions. This worked for me.