Realtek 8139 internet and ethernet connection too slow RTL8139 (solved)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

gramshi

gramshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
ToH RC2 installed without any problem but internet connection too slow.
connected internet via onboard ethernet.

adsl (4/1Mbit connection) speed test results :
Windows Side: 420 kb/sn
Leopard Side: 3 kb/sn

have any idea?
thx.

edit: stupid me. i say 'connected internet via onboard ethernet.' but its wrong. actually connected internet via Realtek RTL 8139. And onboard ethernet works like a charm. Sorry every one. (i will changed topic title). so ignore all replys and go to http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=498700

e-rick

e-rick

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Maybe the speedtest server was crappy....
There is absolutely no reason for it to be Leopard that slows you down...
THis is my result with a leopard install on a similar board:

Posted Image

(kinda different internet connection though....)

gramshi

gramshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
i have external rtl8139 second ethernet and its show "cable unplugged" but it works (cable plugged and data transmission normal)!!

my internet so slow because may be this problem. ??

marliwahoo

marliwahoo

Marliwahoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Try this:

Replace the plugins in IONetwokingFamily.kext (current loepard version 1.6.0) with the plugins from Tiger version 1.5.1. Repair permissions. This worked for me.

gramshi

gramshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

......plugins from Tiger version 1.5.1. Repair permissions. This worked for me.

dear marliwahoo,

thx for reply but i havent tiger version 1.5.1 of the this kext. can you upload it to rapidshare please? :blink:

thx again.

marliwahoo

marliwahoo

Marliwahoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I just sent you a message.

gramshi

gramshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
damn...
on board ethernet works out-of-box.
but rtl8139 completely down. cable plugged but leo say its cable unplugged. dhcp or manual ip nothing...

i guess i must find rtl8139 driver. if i will find tiger kext is it works for leo?

gramshi

gramshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Download this attachment,
Attached File  PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip   230.48KB   7073 downloads

open terminal and apply these codes.

sudo su
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

thats allright

theakseffect

theakseffect

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm having a simular problem with my config as well. Will try this and report success/failure.

dude233

dude233

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
this worked for me. thx :smoke:

theakseffect

theakseffect

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
This worked for me too, however when trying to run an app as super user (using sudo command in terminal), I get this error:

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

.max

.max

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
AAAwesome!!
I had slow connection too. And all the time I had the following in the Console:

RTL8139::receiverInterrupt
RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - not OK

I had download rate around 5KB/s and upload was fine.

I've been struggling with this since the end of October. Finally it's fixed. After an hour or so of experiments and research I did this:
get Tiger IONetworking.kext and put PCGenRTL8139Ethernet in plugins. And voila!!

Thank you for ideas.

erbasvizzera

erbasvizzera

Insanely GuitarMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
hi
Can anyone send me the tiger ionetworking.kext please?
thanks

Porkserver

Porkserver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Using the iATKOS 1.0 10.5.1 install I was shocked to have normal OS X issues that real mac users had. I discovered this solution myself, I had stepped back to using the Vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext with no effect I then used the PCGenRTL8139.kext v1.2.0 and removed All plugins from IONetworkingFamily.kext save for AppleUSBEthernet.kext and added the 1.2.0 version in

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo reboot

and I was back to my sooper fast speeds :)

openxs

openxs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I have an external (PCI) DLink DFE 520TX (RTL 8139?) Lan Card. I installed related patches but it still wont work.

I would appreicate any help.

Thanks!

Racer23

Racer23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Autoracing
Ok, Here seam to be where I thought I would have found the solution. I used MacDrive to copy the kext files over and now I can recognize the other PC's on my network However ny internet speed is very slow. 3k/s

Specs are below

levifig

levifig

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I registered specifically to thank for this solution!

The only thing I did different was that when I was about to copy the driver from my "old" Tiger install, I didn't have that filename you mentioned (PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext) but had the one with the same name as Leopard's install (AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext).

After copying the "same" file (Tiger version over Leopard version) I proceeded with the normal chmod'ing and everything worked perfectly after the reboot!

This was really something that was freaking me out after the upgrade! I'm pretty comfortable with the shell and the "nitty-gritty" of network configurations (linux background here) but I've never seen anything like this happen! Relating this problem with a driver problem was the last thing on my mind, and I never thought I'd encounter driver problems like this on OSX... :)

Oh well...
Again thank you so much for all you guys' help! Saved the day! :)

Cheers,
~Levi F.

mylonelyboy

mylonelyboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Works for me. Thank you very much.

brnoob

brnoob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i know the problem is solved but i was having a related problem and this topic helped me a lot.
i had iatkos instaled on my p4p800 and the ethernet was working fine (tnx to you guys) but when i installed kalyway i couldnt put it to work! then, ive grabbed my iatkos dvd and instaled just the network drivers. it worked like a charm :)

hope it may help someone.. :D

Hagen

Hagen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Download this attachment,
Attached File  PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip   230.48KB   7073 downloads

open terminal and apply these codes.

sudo su<BR>rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext<BR><BR>cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/<BR><BR>chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext<BR><BR>chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext<BR><BR>touch /System/Library/Extensions<BR><BR>shutdown -r now

thats allright

Tried this, but it still says "cable unplugged".

I read the readme in the kext file (btw coming from a Linux and Windows background I do not understand the humour of having files which are not files actually but folders (zipped or something?), but anyway)... I used kextload and it says the RTLGEN kext is already loaded. Still no luck. Any suggestions? Tried a RTL8169, different problems, but still no network. Why??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy