Realtek 8139 internet and ethernet connection too slow RTL8139 (solved)

gramshi

37 posts in this topic

ToH RC2 installed without any problem but internet connection too slow.

connected internet via onboard ethernet.

adsl (4/1Mbit connection) speed test results :

Windows Side: 420 kb/sn

Leopard Side: 3 kb/sn

have any idea?

thx.

edit: stupid me. i say 'connected internet via onboard ethernet.' but its wrong. actually connected internet via Realtek RTL 8139. And onboard ethernet works like a charm. Sorry every one. (i will changed topic title). so ignore all replys and go to http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=498700

Maybe the speedtest server was crappy....

There is absolutely no reason for it to be Leopard that slows you down...

THis is my result with a leopard install on a similar board:

199579178.png

(kinda different internet connection though....)

damn...

on board ethernet works out-of-box.

but rtl8139 completely down. cable plugged but leo say its cable unplugged. dhcp or manual ip nothing...

i guess i must find rtl8139 driver. if i will find tiger kext is it works for leo?

Download this attachment,

PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip

open terminal and apply these codes.

sudo su
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

thats allright

AAAwesome!!

I had slow connection too. And all the time I had the following in the Console:

RTL8139::receiverInterrupt

RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - not OK

I had download rate around 5KB/s and upload was fine.

I've been struggling with this since the end of October. Finally it's fixed. After an hour or so of experiments and research I did this:

get Tiger IONetworking.kext and put PCGenRTL8139Ethernet in plugins. And voila!!

Thank you for ideas.

• 1 month later...

Using the iATKOS 1.0 10.5.1 install I was shocked to have normal OS X issues that real mac users had. I discovered this solution myself, I had stepped back to using the Vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext with no effect I then used the PCGenRTL8139.kext v1.2.0 and removed All plugins from IONetworkingFamily.kext save for AppleUSBEthernet.kext and added the 1.2.0 version in

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo reboot

and I was back to my sooper fast speeds :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Here seam to be where I thought I would have found the solution. I used MacDrive to copy the kext files over and now I can recognize the other PC's on my network However ny internet speed is very slow. 3k/s

Specs are below

I registered specifically to thank for this solution!

The only thing I did different was that when I was about to copy the driver from my "old" Tiger install, I didn't have that filename you mentioned (PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext) but had the one with the same name as Leopard's install (AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext).

After copying the "same" file (Tiger version over Leopard version) I proceeded with the normal chmod'ing and everything worked perfectly after the reboot!

This was really something that was freaking me out after the upgrade! I'm pretty comfortable with the shell and the "nitty-gritty" of network configurations (linux background here) but I've never seen anything like this happen! Relating this problem with a driver problem was the last thing on my mind, and I never thought I'd encounter driver problems like this on OSX... :)

Oh well...

Again thank you so much for all you guys' help! Saved the day! :)

Cheers,

~Levi F.

i know the problem is solved but i was having a related problem and this topic helped me a lot.

i had iatkos instaled on my p4p800 and the ethernet was working fine (tnx to you guys) but when i installed kalyway i couldn´t put it to work! then, i´ve grabbed my iatkos dvd and instaled just the network drivers. it worked like a charm :)

hope it may help someone.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Download this attachment,

PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0.zip

sudo su<BR>rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext<BR><BR>cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/<BR><BR>chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext<BR><BR>chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext<BR><BR>touch /System/Library/Extensions<BR><BR>shutdown -r now

thats allright

Tried this, but it still says "cable unplugged".

I read the readme in the kext file (btw coming from a Linux and Windows background I do not understand the humour of having files which are not files actually but folders (zipped or something?), but anyway)... I used kextload and it says the RTLGEN kext is already loaded. Still no luck. Any suggestions? Tried a RTL8169, different problems, but still no network. Why??

Hi guys,

I was having the same

RTL8139::receiverInterrupt

RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - not OK

issue in the console.

So I applied the

"Download this attachment,

Click to view attachment

CODE

sudo su

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now"

patch and now all i get is cable unplugged for the card. (No connectivity) Is there something i'm missing =s

10.5 Server

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Philly Boy

I installed this as a fix to the same Leopard issue but you have to be so so careful with the typing here. I downloaded the attachment to my desktop and then copied the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext onto my desktop out of the zip file. Then you have to fill in /Users/YOURSHORTUSERNAMEGOESHERE/Desktop/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext everywhere and the first time i missed the / at the end of

"cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/"

Check every line twice on this but it does work - I guess you have deleted your AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext and not copied in the new kext which has to replace it.

Good luck - it does work

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a brilliant solution!

Just in my case i found IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Backup folder, and if system loaded with "onboard Ethernet" BIOS options enabled it hangs up

so PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext only was copied to /System/Library/Extension

It works with no issues

P.S.

mobo Abit AS8+Pentium4(530) + onBoard ethernet -RTL8139

Kalyway 10.5.1

all works out of box, except RTL

RTL works only at 1st boot, all next time it stucks while enabled - after patch works perfect!

• 1 month later...

Hi im new on this of hackintossh and i want i know something.i want install leopard on my pc based in this tutorialhttp://www.freewebs.com/bass-2k7/installingiatkosv10i.htmbut there make a tutorial based in win vista and i have a win xp.somebody can help me because i need a guide of how insatll leopard on xp.i have iatkos now.now i try to find solutions for possibles problems how ethernet card, soun and video cards how install de driver for make run the internet?i have the rtl8139 and i download the on this forum but i dont know how installand about the same way are drvers for nvidia geforce 6200cmedia cmi 9739a/9761thanks!!! and please help me with thisHi im new on this of hackintossh and i want i know something.i want install leopard on my pc based in this tutorialhttp://www.freewebs.com/bass-2k7/installingiatkosv10i.htmbut there make a tutorial based in win vista and i have a win xp.somebody can help me because i need a guide of how insatll leopard on xp.i have iatkos now.now i try to find solutions for possibles problems how ethernet card, soun and video cards how install de driver for make run the internet?i have the rtl8139 and i download the on this forum but i dont know how installand about the same way are drvers for nvidia geforce 6200cmedia cmi 9739a/9761thanks!!! and please help me with this