SATA Controller Cards.. Any recommendations?

chach

10 posts in this topic

Can somebody please recommend a SATA II controller card (PCI) that is compatible with OS X on a Hackintosh? My box has a built-in SATA card, but I'm in need of some additional SATA ports. I will be booting off of drives that are attached to this card. Thanks everybody.

Anything based on a Silicon Image 3112 are usually cheap. I bought my controller on newegg for $20.

It plugs into a x1 PCI bus and runs flawlessly once the driver is installer (driver work for tiger and leo)

the card comes with a RAID bios that need to be flashed for use as a standard SATA controller. Pieve of cake if you installed Osx86

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16816132008

Cheers,

Thanks for the quick reply. That looks like what I want, except that it is for a PCI-Express slot. Unfortunately my piece o' {censored} hackintosh only has PCI slots. I guess I'll try looking for some PCI controllers that use the Silicon Image chip you mentioned.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the quick reply. That looks like what I want, except that it is for a PCI-Express slot. Unfortunately my piece o' {censored} hackintosh only has PCI slots. I guess I'll try looking for some PCI controllers that use the Silicon Image chip you mentioned.

Hey buddy, I use the sil3112 on a standard PCI bus, Got it cheap as chips from maplin electronics. You could try dabs.com, they might have them, but they're real common so shouldn't be to hard if you haven't found one already :D

• 2 weeks later...

Little thread resurrection here but, I've just installed a Sil3112 based card and moved my OSx86 installed disc from the ICH9R SATA port to the Sil3112 port because I want to boot my RAID'd XP install off the Intel controller.

All well and good, card installed and BIOS flashed to the base ROM, OSx86 disc detected. Created chain0, edited my boot.ini and viola I can select OSx86 and the Darwin boot loader fires up and starts to boot Leopard. ;)

...until it tries to find a driver for the Sil3112, and hangs on the "Still waiting for root disk" prompt :D

Common Sense mentioned the AppleVIAATA.kext file and doing some device ID edits in there, but I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for - any ideas?

edit - Just put the OSx86 disk back onto the Intel controller to boot it, edited the PCI ID (added 0x31121095 to the end of the list of VIA SATA controllers) and rebooted with it back on the Sil3112 controller. Same thing sadly. :(

Cheers in advance!

Just managed to get things working with the Sil3112 and the AppleVIAATA.kext edit, but for some reason my ICHR9 controller has disappeared from OSX now. :(

Stumped, think I might just grab the Sil3132 PCI-E 1x card instead as that's got an official driver release...

• 1 year later...