Finder Hacked!

DAddYE

35 posts in this topic

I love you so much, that there are tears in my eyes. This totally eliminates PathFinder.

Someone give him a GURU Badge quick.

PS Hecker, no you dont need to rename anything. Just follow his guide.

Brilliant! It even works in icon mode, as well as Cover Flow view!

It doesn't rename folders, just changes the 'kind' string to make folders show up first. Not too invasive in my eyes.

Great find!

Edit: I did notice a slight problem with this method, however. By performing the above and using the 'Kind' arrangement, you lose file alphabetization. Instead of the sort order showing up as 'a.txt, b.doc, and c.rtf', your file list will show up as 'b.doc, c.rtf, a.txt'.

Technically, it was always 'available'. Kudos to whoever figured it out, though.

All it's doing is setting the system name for folder a higher alphabetical value. Theoretically, any allowed symbol or number should work.

Um... I don't get it... this is a less than ideal solution. Why would I want to view the contents of my folders ordered by kind? I want to see them in alphabetical order....otherwise it's useless.

Well, the contents are sorted alphabetically and by kind. The best of both worlds in my opinion.

I was hoping this would work with column view as well but it doesn't seem to do it. Works in list though, love it.

Edit: Never mind!

It works with column, I just had to change the view options sort.

Right click > Show View Options > Arrange By, Set Kind

Um... I don't get it... this is a less than ideal solution. Why would I want to view the contents of my folders ordered by kind? I want to see them in alphabetical order....otherwise it's useless.

Ditto here. It helps me find stuff much faster.

This 'hack' is a step in the right direction, though, and some people seem to like it that way (sorted by kind).