Intel GMA X3100

qzl722

289 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1525 from Staples, and I'm trying to get the display to work correctly.

The onboard graphics is Intel X3100, which is the source of all my problems. I have both IATKOS 10.5.1r2 and KALAWAY, but am trying to get IATKOS to work with it, since it has a working battery meter, ect (Kalaway and its vanilla kernel do not) I can install either releases fine.

Ok!

When booting in IATKOS, I get the grey Apple screen, followed by the blue screen, and then the internal display turns off. I try and switch to an external display, and am successful, but the only thing displayed is the mouse cursor. When I move the move cursor I get a garbled display of text, etc. It then forces the display back to the laptop's display which in turn is all garbled lines and stuff.

I try to boot into Safe Mode, and even try "Graphics Mode"=1024x768x32" when booting, but the same things result.

I've also tried KALAWAY's release. When booting normally, I get stuck on the grey Apple screen. A mouse cursor appears, and soon the pinwheel, but nothing happens. I can however boot into safe mode.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

[uPDATE]

I installed MacDrive in Windows, and accessed the OS X folder and deleted all of the Intel x3100 kexts. Now Leopard boots on the Dell 1525 with no problems.. but it's only using VESA graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1525 from Staples, and I'm trying to get the display to work correctly.

The onboard graphics is Intel X3100, which is the source of all my problems. I have both IATKOS 10.5.1r2 and KALAWAY, but am trying to get IATKOS to work with it, since it has a working battery meter, ect (Kalaway and its vanilla kernel do not) I can install either releases fine.

Ok!

When booting in IATKOS, I get the grey Apple screen, followed by the blue screen, and then the internal display turns off. I try and switch to an external display, and am successful, but the only thing displayed is the mouse cursor. When I move the move cursor I get a garbled display of text, etc. It then forces the display back to the laptop's display which in turn is all garbled lines and stuff.

I try to boot into Safe Mode, and even try "Graphics Mode"=1024x768x32" when booting, but the same things result.

I've also tried KALAWAY's release. When booting normally, I get stuck on the grey Apple screen. A mouse cursor appears, and soon the pinwheel, but nothing happens. I can however boot into safe mode.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

[uPDATE]

I installed MacDrive in Windows, and accessed the OS X folder and deleted all of the Intel x3100 kexts. Now Leopard boots on the Dell 1525 with no problems.. but it's only using VESA graphics.

i recently got leopard to boot normally for me at 1200x800 resolution thanks to your tip.. im just wondering have you gotten the sound to work or the wifi???

Which wifi card do you have? There are several choices for the 1525.

As for sound, I did manage to get my sound working, but I tried various things listed in this thread; and it started working. I'll try and figure out what I did.

i have the same sound card but for some reason i dont know what im doing wrong.... im very good at solving my own problems but leopard is a whole new world for me lol... i think my wifi card is Dell wireless 1390 Broadcom BCM43XX even if the solution was here i wouldnt know how to do it i dont really understand leopard yet...

update: i got my sound card to work its actually a sigmatel 9228 i found that out thanks to someone suggesting to look at the manual so i used a codec dump for that model and my sound works!! correction wifi works too just make sure you have it on when you install leopard!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Intel X3100 Or "965 Graphics Card Help"

Today I installed Iatkos on my Sony Vaio, I used " Iatkos ir2 becasue it had a new driver for the x3100 Series.

It seams that the drivers work in all but the only problem is that I cannot get 1280x800, I can get 1280x768 fine.

The problem with 1280x768 is that it dispay's a dupliciate taskbar. So i have an apple bar at the top and another

one on the bottom :( Which Takes up some of the screen and is also very annyoing.

If Some one has a sulation of how to get the 1280x800 resulation please post me a reply or drop me a line :P:unsure:

Specs From system Profiler:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 768 @ 96 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

***UPDATE: Who Ever Helps Me Gets a virtual hug.***

i'm pretty new to apple - learned how to use the os while installing it on my vaio - so i don't know much about it or any accessories. while my install is now successful, i have a question about it. after i installed the leopard graphics update, my screen resolution was recognized, but the screen was just garbled nonsense. after a bit of fiddling, i reinstalled the x3100 kexts and then before rebooting i also installed switchresx. when i rebooted everything was fine.

does anyone know, on the technical level, why that fix worked? what is it about switchresx that helped my computer what its resolution should have been? i ask both because this success was surprising, and also because i'd like to make my own version of whatever specifically worked so other vaio users (though i doubt this problem is sony-specific) don't have to pay for their fun either.

lastly, thank you osx86 team - my hacbook/maio is pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, AFAIK, Apple had some macbooks delivered with Intel GMA X3100 (or GM965). Why is it that most hackintosh distro's have problems with that driver? What is it that the onboard video doesn't work out of the box? I'm sure that the must be something really technical about it, but I'm just curious. I tried kalyway, uphuck, leo4all. Kalyway didn't properly install on my HP 6720S Core2Duo notebook. Uphuck has some trouble with some of the x3100 video adapters, but works like a charm on others. Does anyone know why that happens? Also, doesn't the uncustomized version of the OSX contain an original driver specific for the X3100's? If it does, why isn't that one good?

I just finished installing Upchuck ir2 on my notebook and at the beginning, at the "flying welcomes" movie, I have a stunning framerate of 1 frame for every 5 seconds. I have legacy USB turned off in BIOS (as I understood that being the reason for that problem). Still, no effect. Any suggestions on this problem?

Hey guys after trying to get this damn Display working I was finally able to do it with out Natit. Do this at your own risk.

screenshot.png

Ok lets start the work

you will need these kexts http://onekoncctv.com/mac/gmax3100_kexts.zip

Doanload those, extract and save them.

You will also need kexthelper if you have Kalyway 10.5.1 you should already have this.

Remove the Natit kext if you had installed that also remove all the gma950 kexts from /System/Library/Extensions

Open Kexthelper and drag and drop those 5 extracted files you downloaded earlier in the top kexthelper window then put in your password and click "easy install"

Once kexthelper finishes it will tell you everything is ok and you can reboot, before you do this open terminal and type

diskutil repairpermissions /

wait for that to finish once that is done type

reboot

once the computer reboots and passes the gray apple screen your screen will remain blank (black screen)

press the power button on your laptop then press the button s and then press enter on your keyboard

woohoo your screen should be displaying now with your 1280x800 resolution

Note this will also fix your Chicony webcam as you can see from the screen shot

Let me know your results.

HooKed

post-6716-1206068289_thumb.png

OK. There is a problem. Why the graphics on GMAX3100 are so bad?

My GMA950 macbook is just fine, and my GMAX3100 macbook it's not doing the job on graphics!

What is going on? The dock is choppy, the colorful spinning wheel is not spinning

like in GMA950. Reinstalled Leopard, updated to 10.5.2, applied graphics update...

What is going on Apple, it looks like the MacBook air is the same... Choppy graphics.

Is there a way to fix this? GMAX3100 was supposed to be better than GMA950...

What about using natit, or something... Please!

Thanks!!!!

Have a GMAX3100 on my laptop and have had none of the problems you are reporting. I don't really do any gaming on that machine, but I can tell you as far as just general usage it runs perfectly. The only problem I have is that I have to do the sleep/wake trick on boot.