Network Extremely Slow on Leopard

SufferingAnt

27 posts in this topic

[EDIT] Thanks to the help of Kykc, the problem is all fixed. Read his post for instructions.

So my Leopard install is finally working on my desktop (only took all weekend :( ) and my sound and video work flawlessly, but the network department is lacking.

Websites load slower than on my PIII 450mhz NEC laptop with *gasp* Windows XP Pro, and they are next to each other and on the same router. My download rates are down to about 2kB/sec compared to the 450+ I expect on the Hackintosh. Even transferring files between the Hackintosh and any other computer on my network is horribly slow. The internet functions perfectly in Windows, so could it be a driver issue?

My specs are as follows:

ECS 865PE-A Motherboard

Pentium 4 2.8ghz Processor

1gb RAM

Radeon x1300 AGP 256mb Video

80gb Hard Drive

I'm thinking its going to be a Leopard driver conflict, but it'd be nice to not have to put another network card in if I don't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check Network Utility and see how many errors are generated. I will assume a lot.

My ZD8000 also has the 8139 and I needed to change out the driver from the AppleRTL8139 to the PCGENRTL8139.kext. This resolved my network issues.

Should be able to search for the driver name.

Ed

Thank you for your response, Kykc and enchntr. I tried Kykc's method, but the instructions are unclear to me and I get permissions errors when trying to delete my AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext files. Any help?

I get the same kin dof issues on my RTL8139... starting a network intensive app will just stall the network.

I will give the above link a try. I believe it will need a boot from the Leo install CD to get access to the Terminal.

Then replacing the ext making sure the permissions and ownership are correct..

Same problem with RTL8139. I fixed it with this driver (see attach) Some instructions are included in zip. Hope this helps :)
Thanks a lot. 2 minutes of stress, reboot and... it works! :)
I tried to do it from the booting to the DVD method as well, but I can only boot to the DVD with "-x". Sudo is not a valid command in that terminal. Is there another command I have to use instead?
Try from system level, as I did.Greetz.

I figured it out, and my download speeds are back up to normal :) . Thanks to all who helped. If any of you are having trouble, heres a quick guide on how I got mine to work.

First, I typed

sudo su

Then, I typed

passwd

And made a new password for my root account. I then restarted Terminal and typed

sudo su

once again and typed in my password. Then I followed the included instructions, which meant:

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext 	/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

and when my computer restarted it worked!

One other thing to try is this:

Go to System Prefs - Network

Choose Show: Network Port Configurations

Uncheck everything except the one you need (most likely something Ethernet)

This worked for me. I had a Serial listed, and also something Firewire, and neither of those are actually any kind of network device. I'm guessing the system was trying to poll those other devices every time I typed in a webpage or any other network access.

Little help over here, my ethernet is very slow too, but the fixes don't work for me:

I'm using Asrock P4i65G

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4i65G&s=478

It has an onboard Realtek 8101L LAN

this is the device ID I get from Windows XP: 813910ec

It has the same ID as Realtek 8139

I have tried many many many combination of different realtek drivers and IONetworkingfamily:

Picture 1: Stock Leopard IONetworkingfamily + stock realtek 8139 driver

- very slow connection, a lot of Tx error appearing in dmesg

Picture 2: IONetworkingfamily from 10.4.8 + PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0

- Doesn't work, says cable disconnected

Picture 3: IONetworkingfamily from 10.4.8 + RTL r1000 driver

Picture 4: IONetworkingfamily from 10.4.7 with PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0

Picture 6: Stock Leopard IONetworkingfamily + PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_1.2.0

The drivers are installed properly with correct permissions, and I have restarted the computer for each install. I'm going crazy just testing these drivers...

Does anyone have any clue how to fix this?

post-49088-1195474655_thumb.png

post-49088-1195474682_thumb.png

post-49088-1195474734_thumb.png

post-49088-1195474759_thumb.png

post-49088-1195474801_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
I have tried many many many combination of different realtek drivers and IONetworkingfamily:

The drivers are installed properly with correct permissions, and I have restarted the computer for each install. I'm going crazy just testing these drivers...

I'm in the same boat over here... Using Leopard 10.5.1, and I can't get the former (Tiger) drivers to work. If I try, I get "cable disconnected" as well. Perhaps this workaround stopped working once 10.5.1 came out?

Let's all be sure to report this to Apple. Maybe they'll get around to fixing it in 10.5.2 (crossing my fingers... I'm getting horrible throughput and excessive errors).

I have this problem too with a Realtek 8111B chip (Gigabyte GA-P35-D3P motherboard). I'll try your fix, or maybe the "R1000" driver that has also been mentioned.

I'm in the same boat over here... Using Leopard 10.5.1, and I can't get the former (Tiger) drivers to work. If I try, I get "cable disconnected" as well. Perhaps this workaround stopped working once 10.5.1 came out?Let's all be sure to report this to Apple. Maybe they'll get around to fixing it in 10.5.2 (crossing my fingers... I'm getting horrible throughput and excessive errors).
For the "cable disconnected" problem, try booting into XP, going to your network card's advanted tab, and under the option "wake on lan after shutdown" set it to "enabled". That was the first problem I had and fixed.

Have you tried forcing MMIO access? Sometimes it's needed for the Onboard cards...

How would you force MMIO access?

'Show Package Contents' of the PCGen kext...then open contents->info.plist

In the info.plist file scroll down to the part that says 'ForceMMIOAccess'

Below it you will see 'false'...change it to 'true'...

Then follow the instructions to get it back into the IONetworking.kext...fix permissions, delete cache and extensions.mkext and reboot with -v

It should say during the booting process that it is using MMIO...

Good Luck...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I have this problem too with a Realtek 8111B chip (Gigabyte GA-P35-D3P motherboard). I'll try your fix, or maybe the "R1000" driver that has also been mentioned.For the "cable disconnected" problem, try booting into XP, going to your network card's advanted tab, and under the option "wake on lan after shutdown" set it to "enabled". That was the first problem I had and fixed.

I'm also having issues with networking on 10.5.2 with my Gigabyte GA-G33-DS2C and realtek 8111b chip. I'm experiencing file sharing and bonjour dropouts along with anemic speed and general network drops. I've seen some other posts regarding network/bonjour issues, and I'm beginning to whether its a driver problem or a leopard bug? BTW, does the 'r1000' driver work through sleep, or does it still require the kext be reloaded or system restarted?

Has anyone had any success fixing their 8111b networking issue with any of these drivers? If so, which one? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Also got an Inspiron 1720 with a Broadcom 4401 card. Sluggish network, and anything network intensive kills the connection. I guess it's the driver too =)

As for "network intensive", don't read emule or whatnot. A download manager with 2 concurrent downloads is enough. Browsing is a pain.

I wonder, can I contribute to anything to solve this kind of issue? I have not much mac/osx experience, but I speak fluent linux, and enough windows to make it hear me.

Cheers