New ATI Drivers

438 posts in this topic

The drivers for 9700 are the same version as the ones for X1000...

And they work fine on X1000 cards. Maybe they only work on 10.4.4...

Too bad :) 60Hz on my X800 forever :(

1280x768 on my widescreen is even worse. X700 lappie here.

Are you using the new IOGraphicsFamily and IONDRVSupport.kext? (just to be sure)

sigxcpu, i think it is impossible to change the vesa resolution of X800 bios I guess. RadEdit does not support them.

I've just replaced IOGraphicsFamily and IONDRVSupport and booted with all other old exts. Works OK, no difference, still have artifacts

laptop:~ sigxcpu$ kextstat | grep IOG

67 2 0x32009000 0x1b000 0x1a000 com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (1.4.2) <16 6 5 4 3>

laptop:~ sigxcpu$ kextstat | grep IOND

68 1 0x32024000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport (1.4.2) <67 16 6 5 4 3>

Edited by sigxcpu

I was able to load ATINDRV during the boot. Reason it does not work for anyone is as I suspected the matching process. If you look in the Info.plist, more closely IOKitPersonality, here is what it says:

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IONDRVDevice</string>

Now, here is what the problem is. Our cards are not IONDRVDevices, but IOPCIDevices or if you got AppleI386PCI to work then IOAGPDevices. I suspect that EFI loads a ROM BIOS portion of the ATI card (what's usually on the Mac ATI card in the ROM) prior to the OS X init and thus the card becomes a NDRV device rather than a PCI/AGP device.

I could be wrong but this is my hunch, especially after reading that Sys.Profiler dump at http://appleintelfaq.com/imac/system_profiler.html, scroll down to ATI Radeon x1600 and you will see:

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.063

What that means to me is that the ATI ROM BIOS has been initialized through EFI and loaded and thus properly reported to the system.

If you do change your Info.plist and switch IONDRVDevice for IOPCIDevice, then the kext should most likely load (pending your file permissions are correct). If you also enable IOKitDebug on that kext and look at the /var/log/system.log (or do "dmesg") you will notice something like this:

ATICLASS::probe(display)
ATICLASS::start(display) <1>
ATICLASS::start(display) <1> failed

This isnt good because the driver service did not start. As of this writing I do not know why, but I plan to find out...

EDIT: Just to note, I did not replace any other kext from my generic 10.4.3 install, I've only added the ATINDRV.kext to my /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

Edited by omni

I suspect that EFI loads a ROM BIOS portion of the ATI card (what's usually on the Mac ATI card in the ROM) prior to the OS X init and thus the card becomes a NDRV device rather than a PCI/AGP device.

This actually makes sense, ATI developers stated in an interview they had to write special firmware for their cards to communicate with EFI. Is this just needed for loading the kext?

Edited by autoy

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a ATi X300 SE PCI-Express. I installed 10.4.3 using the DVD macosx_10.4.3_8f1111a_JaS_Patch_4.2b.

The video card never had CoreImage or Quartz Extreme working. It never loaded a kext. It always reported itself as a generic VGA card. The display is a WUXGA+ display (1920x1200) but the maximum resolution I could get was 1600x1200. That's not widescreen. I can't get any widescreen resolutions to work. I also installed the latest Maxxus patch that had the CoreImage patch. Didn't do anything.

I downloaded the 10.4.4 drivers, followed the instructions in the first post in this thread to the T, rebooted and the video information in the System Profiler is the same.

I don't think it's possible to get QE or CI to work with this video card, which is a major disappointment since the only ohter piece of hardware not working is the Intel 2915 wireless card.

Hope this helps other people.

This actually makes sense, ATI developers stated in an interview they had to write special firmware for their cards to communicate with EFI. Is this just needed for loading the kext?

I wouldnt say "just" because that firmware is what we are missing and right now I do not see how can we get it to work without EFI (pending we get ahold of its EFI module). But things can change so we'll see what happens in the coming days :(

Edited by omni

Please, post your card model.

Also, I can post NVIDIA drivers if someone want to test them,.

Thank you for good news, rjtd.^^

I would like to test your NVIDIA drivers.

When can you upload them ?

----------------

[edit] I didn`t see " New NVIDIA Drivers, the 10.4.4 ones (by rjtd) ".( ^^; )

omni, I appreciate your experience about the NVIDIA ones.

Edited by chival4ry

Thank you for good news, rjtd.^^

I would like to test your NVIDIA drivers.

When can you upload them ?

Dont bother, they are not working, the missing function calls are still...missing. It's a real bummer.

An interesting conundrum, I loaded up the new 10.4.4 extension folder, ran the ownership commands, but now on boot I get a kernel panic, in regards to my "platform=x86pc" boot flag, which i wrote into the boot configuration file.

Is there a way to remove/disable the 'platform=x86pc' tag from startup options, or reset the startup config file from the boot options prompt? Thanks.

Does the kext load?

It does for me but the driver service does not start, as evident from what I also pasted in that post.

And the second one, EFI modules are files somewhere on the disk presumably in a hidden folder/partition. But, they are EFI modules and require EFI. Unless someone figures out a way to emulate the EFI during Darwin boot sequence and load that and any other modules. I believe there's an EFI emulation environment on TianoCore, but I did not look further into it, since EFI EDK seems to be running only on Winblows, and that works against us.

If there is a source code available to the EFI emulator, then theoretically it would be possible to write some sort of a loader derived from that emulator that will only load EFI modules into proper memory locations, and bundle all that together into Darwin boot process. Another crazy idea, but I'm full of them so dont mind sharing... :(

Oh just to add one more thing. I believe that EFI modules have to be included with new iMacs Core Duo that ship with the system restore disc(s) - the firmwares (EFI modules) obviously need to be available as well, in case of a catastrophic system failure (fried hdd).

Edited by omni

I also tried these new ATI drivers from 10.4.4.

After the grey apple screen, the screen goes black, with just a mouse pointer. OSX still loads up, as I can hear Launch login to Bigpond and MSN load, but cannot do anything since the screen is just black with a mouse pointer.

Copied previous drivers from my backup in Single User mode and back to old drivers. eheh :(

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 8X - OSX 10.4.3 8F1111G

Cheers

PanterA

Edited by PanterA

An interesting conundrum, I loaded up the new 10.4.4 extension folder, ran the ownership commands, but now on boot I get a kernel panic, in regards to my "platform=x86pc" boot flag, which i wrote into the boot configuration file.

Is there a way to remove/disable the 'platform=x86pc' tag from startup options, or reset the startup config file from the boot options prompt? Thanks.

Yes...

You'll have to boot into single user mode (-s at the boot prompt) and then edit the file with that command in it.

I get the two-line dependency error described before when loading the kext manually...

Otherwise I get the black screen.

I tried just the 9700 extensions, w/o the atindrv.kext and the same...

Is the applendrv.kext installed by default, cause I don't got it, it's not in the bz and everytime I try and extract it with pacifist of of the install dvd, I get an error.

My system has SSE3 and an X300. I copied over all of the ATI kexts and the IONDRV kext. System boots fine but my screen is full of black boxes making it unusable. I logged in via ssh and ran system_profiler here's the graphics sections output:

Graphics/Displays:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5b60

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Edit: One more thing. I ran dmesg and at the end it has this message:

display: family specific matching fails

display: match category IOFramebuffer exists

display: family specific matching fails

display: match category IOFramebuffer exists

display: vram [d0000000:08000000]

display: Not usable

I've never seen the display: Not usable before using the old drivers.

Edited by netgodsrdn2

Here is a screeny i took with the boot error. I actually logged in root gui and did what i needed to do there.

PS. I forgot to mention that I replaced everything in the extensions forlder. Seams that everyone else was just replacing the ATI files. So, in case you are wondering what would happen, there it is :). everything is backed up though. now i'm gonna fool with it in vmware.

post-6112-1137463373_thumb.jpg

Edited by domino

Here is a screeny i took with the boot error. I actually logged in root gui and did what i needed to do there.

I saw that AppleEFIRuntime.kext was part of the new package. It probably won't load unless there's a physical EFI there.

PS. I forgot to mention that I replaced everything in the extensions forlder. Seams that everyone else was just replacing the ATI files. So, in case you are wondering what would happen, there it is :). everything is backed up though. now i'm gonna fool with it in vmware.

failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime

0.o deffo something to do with EFI

hope Maxxuss can create EFI emulator lol

Here is the profile of a new iMac

http://www.macintouch.com/imacintel/profileinfo.html

You can see under Graphics/Displays: section there is

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.063

for the ATI Radeon X1600