What about a Leopard LiveDVD

Bjartskular

22 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You can`t just burn the image to disc. You`ll need a ram disk and some symlinks. And some other stuff like a modified rc.cdrom.

I`ll write down a how to soon and upload all the stuff you need to build your own live dvd.

Master Modbin, we are waiting for your instructions to build it, please! :-)

:(

-Install Mac OS X 10.5.0/1/2 (new installation recommened! Do not install photoshop or import your itunes Library;)

-enable the root user and make it autologin!

-delete some unused stuff:

everything inside:

/System/Library/Speech/Voices - 700MB, maybe leave the default voice.

/Library/Desktop Pictures - 86MB, leave the current. Do you need screensaver?

/System/Library/Fonts - 102MB, I have not deleted it but it could be an option. Of cource only delete unused fonts.

/Library/Dictionaries - 426MB, I don`t need them on a live dvd.

swap files and sleepimage

Right now frameworks are untouched. My dvd is now 3.84GB.

-change the plist of IOHDIXController from

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Network-Root</string>

to

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

I also did the same for all of the plugins.

-unzip the Mac OS X Live DVD ISO.rar onto a different partition. You`ll need at least 5GB free space!

-mount the dmg r/w "hdiutil attach -readwrite /path/to/dmg"

-use DiskUtility or asr and restore your leopard installation onto the mounted dmg.

-Delete some files

/S/L/LaunchAgents/

-com.apple.metadata.mdwrite.plist

-com.apple.Spotlight.plist (spotlight gave errors, the old trick with the hostconfig did not work for me but I included it anyways.)

-maybe com.apple.familycontrols.useragent.plist

/S/L/LaunchDaemons/

-com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist (disk swap)

-com.apple.fseventsd.plist (I got errors so I disabled it)

-com.apple.periodic-daily.plist (not really needed)

-com.apple.periodic-monthly.plist

-com.apple.periodic-weekly.plist

-com.apple.metadata.mds.plist (mds was using 100% cpu)

If you have an opinion on what else we can savely remove let me know. It speeds up booting!

-copy the RamDisk binary to

/usr/bin/RamDisk

-copy the Installation folder to

/System/Installation

-copy the rc.cdrom script to

/private/etc/rc.cdrom

Now let`s setup the ramdisks. All symlinks are included! But let me try to explain how it works. The RamDisk and the inkernel RamDisk.

________________________________________________________________________________

example:

-symlink: -points to: -real path:

/private/tmp -> /ramdisk/contents/private/tmp /private/etc/RamDisk/contents/private/tmp

I cut the complete folders and pasted them into the RamDisk.inkernel\Contents folder in /private/etc. You need to preplace the folder with a symlink that points to the new location. Let`s take the db folder from below as an example. Go to /private/var/ and cut the db folder and paste it into /private/var/RamDisk.inkernel/Contents/private/var/. You need to make 2 new folders: private and var.

-inkernel RamDisk:

/ramdisk.inkernel/contents/private/var/db

/ramdisk.inkernel/contents/private/var/log

/ramdisk.inkernel/contents/private/var/run

/ramdisk.inkernel/contents/private/var/tmp

-RamDisk

/ramdisk/contents/private/tmp - empty

/ramdisk/contents/private/var/root - contains Desktop/Downloads, both empty and the complete Library folder with keychains. Size of Library=1MB

/ramdisk/contents/System/Library/Caches - folder is empty

/ramdisk/contents/Library/Caches - I copied all the caches, not sure if it would be better to delete them

/ramdisk/contents/Library/Logs - same here

/ramdisk/contents/Users - only contains Shared because I log in as root. If the user wants to log into his user account we need to copy it.

To do:

preheat.sh needs to be optimized

We need to figure out what else can be deleted (LaunchDaemons/Frameworks)

boot time needs to be reduced.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dei41khzkjd

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Modbin,

thanks for your guide, I followed it and understood everything until we came to

Now let`s setup the ramdisks. All symlinks are included!

So I cut the complete folders and pasted them into the /private/etc/RamDisk.inkernel\Contents folder. Check.

but then it confuses me ;)

Go to /private/var/ and cut the db folder and paste it into /private/var/RamDisk.inkernel/Contents/private/var/. You need to make 2 new folders: private and var.

Well there is no ramdisk.inkernel in /private/var. Should I create one? And what folders go there exactly? db,tmp, run and log?

And for example the users symlink for the root. Do we have to delete the real folder and paste the symlink there?

Thanks for your work. So far it boots but obviously it hangs at ramdisk, saying codepage invalid.

The ramdisk folder are all included in the zip file. They are inside the dvd_root folder and are all at their default locations.

Should look like this:

2 ramdisk folder at root /

picture5yp0.th.png

2 RamDisk folder inside /private/etc

picture7qz7.th.png

• 1 month later...

Forgive my ignorance people.... But does this have to be done with KALYWAY or Leo4all, or can this be done with a normal Leopard install DVD?

Thinking about doing this, but don't know whether or not to do it on my laptop that is running KALYWAY, or to do it on my iMac.

:angel:

-Install Mac OS X 10.5.0/1/2 (new installation recommened! Do not install photoshop or import your itunes Library;)

-enable the root user and make it autologin!

-delete some unused stuff:

everything inside:

/System/Library/Speech/Voices - 700MB, maybe leave the default voice.

/Library/Desktop Pictures - 86MB, leave the current. Do you need screensaver?

/System/Library/Fonts - 102MB, I have not deleted it but it could be an option. Of cource only delete unused fonts.

/Library/Dictionaries - 426MB, I don`t need them on a live dvd.

swap files and sleepimage

Where can I find this files?

• 1 month later...

@modbin

great work, I love that ... thx a lot ... just made a launchpad verson with clone x and your DVD Image, no Desktop, but my system(kexts) running with assorted (rescue-) apps in a launchpad from clone x ... great to have an image with efi bootloader ... thx again ;-) ... this will keep me on an OSX86 Live DVD Image and what all will be possible with it for the next weeks ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Clone X didn't work for me so now I am trying this method. I'm burning the DVD right now, will report back on how it goes :D

Ok, great. The DVD boots fine, but the entire volume is corrupted in permissions, so I have to repair them. The problem is, how do I repair that volume?

• 2 weeks later...

How are you all getting the Leo Install so small to restore it to the dmg? I've been working for hours and mine went from 7.XGB to 4.4GB at the moment, still too big, with almost no apps and everything that you said to delete plus ALL languages from the apps (Get Info>Languages>Delete all but english). How can yours possibly be 3.8GB without deleting tons of stuff that isn't listed here? Am I missing something? Yes, I went into Private/var/vm/ and got the swap and checked for the sleepimage but I don't have that enabled so it wasn't there. (Yes i had view hidden files on.) Also I deleted many fonts and all screensavers except for current. I deleted all voices including current and all else in the speech folder as well.

Once I get it down to size (if I do) I'll report back on my permissions and such.

EDIT: 4.38GB soooo close.

EDIT2: Got it down to size, but it hangs unless I use -v -f -legacy at CSVALID ramdisk. Also after it boots, it goes to a black screen instead of a desktop. could someone post a screen of the entire contents of the important directories because I am semi confused on what goes where but considering it booted just no video I think I got most of it.

EDIT3: Edit 2 was on a different computer than it was made on, which had an ATI card I just remembered, but it DID boot on the system it was made on, I had to execute the RamDisk binary manually which gave me the top menu bar where the Apple logo is. Also I have attached a screenshot of what the system looked like and the root dir of the ramdisk that it mounted.

ScreenShot Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
How are you all getting the Leo Install so small to restore it to the dmg? I've been working for hours and mine went from 7.XGB to 4.4GB at the moment, still too big, with almost no apps and everything that you said to delete plus ALL languages from the apps (Get Info>Languages>Delete all but english). How can yours possibly be 3.8GB without deleting tons of stuff that isn't listed here? Am I missing something? Yes, I went into Private/var/vm/ and got the swap and checked for the sleepimage but I don't have that enabled so it wasn't there. (Yes i had view hidden files on.) Also I deleted many fonts and all screensavers except for current. I deleted all voices including current and all else in the speech folder as well.

Download monolingual and wipe all the ppc {censored} out of your apps and system files.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Ok, great. The DVD boots fine, but the entire volume is corrupted in permissions, so I have to repair them. The problem is, how do I repair that volume?

I would do it that way:

dd the imagefile to an empty hd. Once it is there, just repair permissions from your actual Leopard installation and after that use the diskutility to save it back as an image.

just hdiutil attach the image with the option -readwrite -owners on

• 1 month later...
Clone X didn't work for me so now I am trying this method. I'm burning the DVD right now, will report back on how it goes :D

clone X work, i mean clone X can build the DVD achitecture, but you will have to change the boot loader of the LiveDVD

with for exemple, the Chameleon boot loader, see the chameleon website