Leopard & Boot Time

43 posts in this topic

On my MacBook C2D 2.0GHz with 2GB of RAM Leopard loading definitely takes much longer than Tiger. The Desktop appears in seconds, but the hard drive is constantly reading for at least 30 sec. more witch actually makes the system unusable. The "real" problem is shutting the Leo down. Compared to Tiger it just takes eternity :rolleyes: No idea what the problem might be....

On the other hand a good friend of mine with an old iBook Pro 12" is more that pleased after upgrading to Leopard.

Shall wait few more days until 10.5.2 is released and if doesn't bring the promised Intel based Mac's speed improvement will definitely switch back to Tiger.

• 5 weeks later...

it takes over 5 minutes to boot...

in system.log i found

Feb 13 14:10:44 Danielas-Hackintosh configd[44]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID
Feb 13 14:14:46 Danielas-Hackintosh /usr/libexec/hidd[36]: Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet 
Feb 13 14:14:46 Danielas-Hackintosh /usr/libexec/hidd[36]: IOHIDEventQueueCreate: Unable to allocate queue memory from IOHIDSystem. (0x10000003)

there is something wrong with the IOKit, but i dont know what it is...

Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet

it takes over 5 minutes to boot...

in system.log i found

Feb 13 14:10:44 Danielas-Hackintosh configd[44]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID
Feb 13 14:14:46 Danielas-Hackintosh /usr/libexec/hidd[36]: Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet 
Feb 13 14:14:46 Danielas-Hackintosh /usr/libexec/hidd[36]: IOHIDEventQueueCreate: Unable to allocate queue memory from IOHIDSystem. (0x10000003)

there is something wrong with the IOKit, but i dont know what it is...

Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet

I used to get an IOKitWaitQuitet() timeout, but after disabling SATA Port 0-1 Native Mode in my BIOS and removing the AppleHWSensor.kext, I don't get it anymore.

I used to get an IOKitWaitQuitet() timeout, but after disabling SATA Port 0-1 Native Mode in my BIOS and removing the AppleHWSensor.kext, I don't get it anymore.

AppleHWSensor.kext is already removed and i set sata/ide from enhanced to legacy and disabled every sata port.

nothing changed...

AppleHWSensor.kext is already removed and i set sata/ide from enhanced to legacy and disabled every sata port.

nothing changed...

Hmmm... Well, I don't know what else you can do about it.

Sorry. :P

My Dell is ready in OSX after 40 secs from when I press power button, including 3 secs waiting at darwin boot prompt. But there are many factors which decide boot time. If you have IOKit errors in your log is hardly because of bugs in IOKit but in one of your other kexts.

• 3 months later...
How would you go about lowering the boot timeout? Mine's currently 5 seconds which I feel is unnecessary...

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

change Timeout to 1, or 0?(haven't tested, sounds crazy!).