[Guide] ATI x1x00 Video Cards on Leopard; QE/CI Enabled

MacMan2007

152 posts in this topic

yep, got everything with DVI, however I am not able to get dual monitor setup. only one of my DVI is functioning under 10.5.1

I gave up on it. Can't use it with only one monitor working and the other one just sitting there dead right next to it and I keep trying to move windows over there :lol: . Back to Windows on my desktop at least.

I struggled with it for a while

That's a shame. Wish we had more support on these cards. Yeah, I'm stuck with one monitor too! Boring!

Hello to all,

My videocard works perfectly, however I cannot get QE nor CI to work using this method. I followed the steps but it tells me the kext was not installed correctly (I don't remember exactly the warning). I can't install some programs because of that (I need QE). I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB PCI-E. Everything works (as I said) except for QE/CI. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

argh... MacMan2007, i have still your package and works under ToH updated from JaS 10.4.8 perfectly but system hangs in Leo4All after reaching GUI start point (im getting shredded gray desktop view on 3/4 of screen)

kext editing doesnt work, or im doing it wrong :S (theres no "ORIGINAL ATIRadeonX1000.kext" in extensions, just ATIRadeonX1000GA.kext)

• 1 month later...

Ok guys! Here is my dilemma.I previously installed Kalyway's 10.5.1 and chose the the ATYinject or x1900 series option during the install process. This had my x1800XT 512mb PCIE card working out of the box. I had full resolution and the full 512mb of video mem recognized. The only the thing I did not get was QE/CI. This was no problem after hexing the ATIRadeonX1000.kext exactly as stated in this guide. I enjoyed this beautiful privilege for a good while until I upgraded to 10.5.2.First off, I did not do an upgrade over 10.5.1. I did a new installation with Kalyway's 10.5.2 DVD.Again, I chose the same ATYinject for x1900 series option during the customize installation process. And once again, upon first boot (after installation) I get full res (1680x1050) with the ability to change to all lower res and my full 512mb of video mem seen in profiler just no QE/CI. All seems well and very familiar to my 10.5.1 install. At this point I figure I just got to hex my ATIRadeonX1000.kext as I did before (using the exact same instructions by replacing c071 & 71c0 with my id 0071 & 7100 respectively. The number of replacements were 9 & 4 as opposed to 2 & 6. -- I hope you guys follow me so far --So I go "whoooa... that's different" but continue on.After I reboot then do -v -f at the Darwin prompt and the boot up just stops at a certain point during the verbose boot. I forget the text on the screen at the time. However, It does not go pass this point.I also tried using my modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext that I saved from my 10.5.1 install. In this case, the system boots all the way but I get the light blue screen with a seemingly functional desktop just that It's invisible.Anyone out there know what I can do? Apparently, the ATIRadeonX1000.kext used in 10.5.2 is different than in 10.5.1 and It doesn't seem to be able to hex it the same way to get QE/CI enabled.Any help will be greatly appreciated!Thanks!P.S. MacMan2007 - I initially sent you a msg regarding this. You can either PM me back or reply here. This post has the more accurate issue.Thanks!I forgot to mention that I CAN boot up in Safe Mode after any of the modifications I've tried. Profiler still does not show QE/CI enabled and I continue to get full resolution in Safe Mode. I guess that while I am in Safe Mode, I can continue to try at this with any of your suggestions.Thanks again!

Not sure about Radeon x550 but it works for my ATI FireGL 7200 PCIe!

I used ID 7109 to replace with FireGL ID 7104 in ATIRadeonX1000.kext Info.plist. System Profiler shows Hardware Accelerated for CI and Supported QE / Monitor Rotation now. I am amazed! (10.5.2 & Leopard Graphics Update installed)

You may want to search for the following bytes 74420F87A500 and replace them with EB420F87A500 to make it always jump to the good guy on x1600/x1650 cards.

No need to insert your decive id in AtiRadeonX1000 ;)

modbin, that finally did the trick for my QE/CI problem, but unfortunatly I still have no Resolution changes or Rotation.

What is kext/framework is allowing Resolution changes?

Hi.

I tryied to fix and solve my trouble but i can't.

I've a Xpress 1250.

I tried to follow the guide, but i have the same issue that when i install kalyway drivers ( screen with many color at the boot )

So is any solution is out ?

I'm limited to 1024*768, my screen ( lg 32lc45 32") can go to 1366*768

Thanks to help me

Hi,

I can´t do the last step of this guide: When I try to change the user/group to root:wheel it tells me

chown filename permisson denied. I also tried changeing owners of other files, it does not work.

When I enter "sudo -s" it asks for a password, I yust press enter, because I never setup any password. It does not tell me if it was successfull or not. the command "whoami" gives me my username, not root.

What do I have to do to change the owners?

The system is complaning about incorrectly installed kexts atiradeonx1000 and atiinject at startup.

Thanks,

Stefan

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys,

my first post so thank you for your awesome support.

i'm using leo4mac 10.5.2 right now

i have ati radeon x1600xt

Device ID: 0x71c0

i have moded the kexts for driver and it's working with QE/CL but i have a resolution problem.

no way for my native res. 1680*1050.

i have hundreds of resolutions in my display settings list but i guess there is no widescreen resolutions.

i would appreciate if you could help. thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(dashaund @ Jan 4 2008, 11:11 PM) post_snapback.gifOkay guys. After a long, hard fought three week battle (yeah...three weeks) of getting this to work, I can finally report success. I have an ATI X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe. First off, I installed ATIInject.kext and changed the Device ID to 0x71C1. Then, I modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext with 0XED the way MacMan2007 says too. What kept getting me was I would get the full resolution (1440x900) but no QE/CI. When I added my Device ID to info.plist under "IOPCIMatch", I kept getting kernel panics. So, then I started over and instead of adding my Device ID, I modified "0x71C01002" to "0x71C11002" and bingo...works perfect. Wish I had DVI though...but, hey, analog still looks super...better than XP does with the proper drivers and DVI! Any questions just reply or send a PM. Just thought I'd give back a little bit since you guys are freakin' awesome...I've been doing all kinds of crazy stuff with computers for years and I have to say, hands down, this is the best support forum I've ever experienced. I love being apart of this community! Thank you so much!

Hi!

Can you be more especific with this guide, because I have the same video card as you, and I have like a month to try to works but I cant do it.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Guys i have an ATI x2300, I did what MacMan2007 suggested but in the last passage when i write in the terminal i get this answer:

Last login: Tue Jan 6 13:36:01 on console

federico-s-mac-pro:~ Fede$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# chmod -R 755 //After 755 hit the spacebar, drag and drop ATIinject.kext from Extensions folder into terminal

chmod: //After: No such file or directory

chmod: 755: No such file or directory

chmod: hit: No such file or directory

chmod: the: No such file or directory

chmod: spacebar,: No such file or directory

chmod: drag: No such file or directory

chmod: and: No such file or directory

chmod: drop: No such file or directory

chmod: ATIinject.kext: No such file or directory

chmod: from: No such file or directory

chmod: Extensions: No such file or directory

chmod: folder: No such file or directory

chmod: into: No such file or directory

chmod: terminal: No such file or directory

bash-3.2#

someone can help me please?

• 2 weeks later...
Guys i have an ATI x2300, I did what MacMan2007 suggested but in the last passage when i write in the terminal i get this answer:

Last login: Tue Jan 6 13:36:01 on console

federico-s-mac-pro:~ Fede$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# chmod -R 755 //After 755 hit the spacebar, drag and drop ATIinject.kext from Extensions folder into terminal

chmod: //After: No such file or directory

chmod: 755: No such file or directory

chmod: hit: No such file or directory

chmod: the: No such file or directory

chmod: spacebar,: No such file or directory

chmod: drag: No such file or directory

chmod: and: No such file or directory

chmod: drop: No such file or directory

chmod: ATIinject.kext: No such file or directory

chmod: from: No such file or directory

chmod: Extensions: No such file or directory

chmod: folder: No such file or directory

chmod: into: No such file or directory

chmod: terminal: No such file or directory

bash-3.2#

someone can help me please?

those r the instruction...dont type them with ur command...u have to give a space,and then have to drag file into terminal and press enter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This method WORKS for me. QE/CI enabled with changeable resolutions, THX a lot

My card:

Ati x1300 Pro 256MB (Recognized as just x1300 series)

device id 0x7183

vender id 1002

My specs:

Dell XPS 410 Build

Intel ICH8 P965 Express Chipset

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz E6400

3GB 800 Mhz DDR2

320GB 7200 RPM SATA HD (65GB Allocated to Leopard)

iPC 10.5.6 release updated to 10.5.7 via software update (netkas method)

ATI Radeon X1300 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1300 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7183

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

DELL SE198WFP:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This method WORKS for me. QE/CI enabled with changeable resolutions, THX a lot

My card:

Ati x1300 Pro 256MB (Recognized as just x1300 series)

device id 0x7183

vender id 1002

My specs:

Dell XPS 410 Build

Intel ICH8 P965 Express Chipset

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz E6400

3GB 800 Mhz DDR2

320GB 7200 RPM SATA HD (65GB Allocated to Leopard)

iPC 10.5.6 release updated to 10.5.7 via software update (netkas method)

ATI Radeon X1300 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1300 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7183

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

DELL SE198WFP:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

hello there do u have this working off of dvi or vga?

i have it working but with a dvi to vga adapter.

screen just flickers blue then blacks out with no signal w/ dvi connected directly.

thanks for the help in advanced.

• 2 months later...

hi ppl, first post.. well after many tries and blue/black screens , i found this method, i followed step by step carefully, then reboot and voila, i got a pretty good resolution but seconds later i am having kernel panic! :) , i dont know what im doing wrong but i think it is that when i edit the kext in hex-editor, the replaced values are 2 first (method says should? be 3???) and then hex-editor makes 5 instead of 6 mentioned, i have a doubt in this part, my id is 0xF1ce, but when i replace the value, which one do i have to replace?, in the example the second one value is the replaced one 0x71c31002, in my case i just replace the second value of all founded, and then i use that value for search and replace in hex editor, is this right??? how do i know what is the ID value that leopard system is using, which i guess is the one that i have to replace in my own kexts? i read somewhere that you need to replace in the code wormy string for caretta i tried this too but i get blue screen... tnx for the support these is my old box.. tnx so much

Mobo: GA EX58 UDR3

Ram: 4 GB DDR3

HDD: 80 GB IDE 7200

DVDRW: SATA Sony

Processor: Intel i7 950

SO: iATKOS V7 bootloader cham 2, Voodoo 9.0.7,

Graphics: X1300XT PCIe 512 MB DDR2 (0xF1ce)

CODE</P> <P><key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x71871002 [b]0x71c31002[/b] 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71461002 0x71421002 0x71091002 0x71C51002 0x72401002 0x72491002 0x72911002</string></P> <DIV class=codemain>