[Guide] ATI x1x00 Video Cards on Leopard; QE/CI Enabled

MacMan2007

152 posts in this topic

NEWS FLASH FOR ANYONE WITH AN ATI X1600...

Diabolik's X1600 installer package works in Leopard. No need to editor kexts or do anything other than install the package. It can be found here:

http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/index.html

What I did was this... I didn't choose any video card drivers during the install process. Then, I downloaded and installed Diabolik's amazing package, choosing ONLY the x1600 kext itself. Bingo... My card is recognized and everything works.

Cheers!

I have MSI x1600 pro graphic card. after installing iatkos dvd with atiinject patch which is already included in the dvd, QE/CI is not enabled. Then I follow instructions that are below and I get QE/CI enabled. The only difference is I changed ATIinject.kext which is installed by iatkos dvd. My id was 71c2.

everything is fine now. thanks for the instructions

No luck so far with this method. Using X1650 ID 71c2 512MB PCIe card. After following the instructions to the letter on a fresh install, reboot and during verbose mode it still says "Display: Family Specific Matching Fails" about 6 times, then ATIInject goes to work and when it goes to the GUI all I get is a Red screen and the system freezes...

Edit: Diabolik's X1600 package doesn't work either... the installer fails near the end saying the 10.4.9 kext failed to perform cleanup operation or something and then the system is left with such a mess even after fixing permissions and verifying the disk I have to wipe it. (Sound works FYI.. standard Realtek HD Audio using basic drivers, and the Realtek 8129 based card doesn't work either after alot of fiddling.)

No luck so far with this method. Using X1650 ID 71c2 512MB PCIe card. After following the instructions to the letter on a fresh install, reboot and during verbose mode it still says "Display: Family Specific Matching Fails" about 6 times, then ATIInject goes to work and when it goes to the GUI all I get is a Red screen and the system freezes...

Edit: Diabolik's X1600 package doesn't work either... the installer fails near the end saying the 10.4.9 kext failed to perform cleanup operation or something and then the system is left with such a mess even after fixing permissions and verifying the disk I have to wipe it. (Sound works FYI.. standard Realtek HD Audio using basic drivers, and the Realtek 8129 based card doesn't work either after alot of fiddling.)

That's strange. I have the same EXACT card (71c2) and it worked for me. There's no reason it shouldn't work for you. Here's what I would suggest. Start over. Complete fresh. Reformat the drive. Install Kalyway, and DON'T choose any graphics support. Then, once you're in Leopard. Use the Diabolik installer. You should have luck.

That's strange. I have the same EXACT card (71c2) and it worked for me. There's no reason it shouldn't work for you. Here's what I would suggest. Start over. Complete fresh. Reformat the drive. Install Kalyway, and DON'T choose any graphics support. Then, once you're in Leopard. Use the Diabolik installer. You should have luck.

hmm, your signature says ATI Radeon X1600Pro 512MB, his is a X1650. Can they have the same Hex 71C2? maybe using the wrong hex code?

btw. everything working here on a saphire X1650 256mb except I do not have dual monitor capability. my second monitor on the second DVI is dead, says it's powered off. Funny thing is when I plug in my second monitor via VGA, it switches my main monitor to a different display (on same monitor).

any idea how I can get dual DVI output with dual monitor setup?

thanks

Diabolik's X1600 installer package works in Leopard. No need to editor kexts or do anything other than install the package. It can be found here:

What I did was this... I didn't choose any video card drivers during the install process. Then, I downloaded and installed Diabolik's amazing package, choosing ONLY the x1600 kext itself. Bingo... My card is recognized and everything works.

Cheers!

1000 X thanx i have been trying o install Leopard for 5 days straight now. I tried Basil-mac, iAtkos and KalyWay.

System was working perfectly only with KalyWay but without x1600 support. Thanx Again.

My PC is now much faster than my bacbook :P

I was looking for this solution for several hours!!!!

I have the same device ID as you... and yes, if you install my package, you should have no problems with QE/CI in leopard. But you have to use VGA, DVI does not work with this release.

If you ever get dvi or hdmi to work, let us know :)

Okay guys. After a long, hard fought three week battle (yeah...three weeks) of getting this to work, I can finally report success. I have an ATI X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe. First off, I installed ATIInject.kext and changed the Device ID to 0x71C1. Then, I modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext with 0XED the way MacMan2007 says too. What kept getting me was I would get the full resolution (1440x900) but no QE/CI. When I added my Device ID to info.plist under "IOPCIMatch", I kept getting kernel panics. So, then I started over and instead of adding my Device ID, I modified "0x71C01002" to "0x71C11002" and bingo...works perfect. Wish I had DVI though...but, hey, analog still looks super...better than XP does with the proper drivers and DVI! Any questions just reply or send a PM. Just thought I'd give back a little bit since you guys are freakin' awesome...I've been doing all kinds of crazy stuff with computers for years and I have to say, hands down, this is the best support forum I've ever experienced. I love being apart of this community! Thank you so much!

Okay guys. After a long, hard fought three week battle (yeah...three weeks) of getting this to work, I can finally report success.

Wish I had DVI though...but, hey, analog still looks super...

cool, congrats. I have the same device id that you have and a Saphire ATI X1650 Pro 256MB PCIe, dual DVI. I get DVI with one monitor, no VGA necessary. However, I only get one DVI output, my second monitor is black. Not sure why your DVI is not working. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=40#

Hello I have ATI Sapphire Radeon x1650 pro 512 MB Card (Device ID 71C1, Vendor ID 1002). I have installed it successfully with QE/CI enabled. But yesterday I update my Leopard to 10.5.1. After that strangely QE is gone. Please Help me.

Thanks in Advance.

Marc

Hello I have ATI Sapphire Radeon x1650 pro 512 MB Card (Device ID 71C1, Vendor ID 1002). I have installed it successfully with QE/CI enabled. But yesterday I update my Leopard to 10.5.1. After that strangely QE is gone. Please Help me.Thanks in Advance.Marc
You have to rehex the ATIRadeonX1000 file because the 10.5.1 update replaces this file with a newer ATIRadeonX1000. After rehexing, you should be fine.
Okay guys. After a long, hard fought three week battle (yeah...three weeks) of getting this to work, I can finally report success. I have an ATI X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe. First off, I installed ATIInject.kext and changed the Device ID to 0x71C1. Then, I modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext with 0XED the way MacMan2007 says too. What kept getting me was I would get the full resolution (1440x900) but no QE/CI. When I added my Device ID to info.plist under "IOPCIMatch", I kept getting kernel panics. So, then I started over and instead of adding my Device ID, I modified "0x71C01002" to "0x71C11002" and bingo...works perfect. Wish I had DVI though...but, hey, analog still looks super...better than XP does with the proper drivers and DVI! Any questions just reply or send a PM. Just thought I'd give back a little bit since you guys are freakin' awesome...I've been doing all kinds of crazy stuff with computers for years and I have to say, hands down, this is the best support forum I've ever experienced. I love being apart of this community! Thank you so much!
You know what, I didn't realize that it made a big difference from replacing the existing 0x71c01002 then just adding your own device id it to the list. When I did mine, I replaced it with mine and didn't add it so I didn't have this problem. So when I wrote up the guide I didn't know it made a difference so I just wrote to add it. Now I think this is the reason why people are having some troubles with this method.I updated the guide to say to replace the original device id and vendor id instead of adding it to the list, hopefully now it'll increase the success rate of this method.Thanks dashaund!

cool, congrats. I have the same device id that you have and a Saphire ATI X1650 Pro 256MB PCIe, dual DVI. I get DVI with one monitor, no VGA necessary. However, I only get one DVI output, my second monitor is black. Not sure why your DVI is not working. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=40#

I don't either. If I plug both DVI and VGA in, DVI overrides VGA and basically it's like my monitor goes to sleep when the Login Application Window starts. It gets no signal whatsoever. But if I plug up just VGA it boots up just fine. So, I'm really not going to tinker with it unless someone says "here...this is what makes DVI work." It looks great like it is. I was without OSX86 for over a month while getting the kinks worked out with my new Core 2 Duo supported motherboard and video card...I missed it! ::sniff sniff::

Thanks a lot! ;)

Did not work first, but when I replaced the device id instead of adding it I got QE/CI enabled!

But then my system always froze after some minutes... So I replaced the ATINDrv.kext with the one from 10.4.5 and everything works perfectly! :)

Got it from my old tiger installation. Uploaded it. I send you a pm with the link...

Thanks mate. Got it. Haven't experienced any problems, but have only had it running properly for a day or so, so worth keeping hold of ;)

Cheers!

the link does not fuction ...please send me the file...

You have to rehex the ATIRadeonX1000 file because the 10.5.1 update replaces this file with a newer ATIRadeonX1000. After rehexing, you should be fine.You know what, I didn't realize that it made a big difference from replacing the existing 0x71c01002 then just adding your own device id it to the list. When I did mine, I replaced it with mine and didn't add it so I didn't have this problem. So when I wrote up the guide I didn't know it made a difference so I just wrote to add it. Now I think this is the reason why people are having some troubles with this method.I updated the guide to say to replace the original device id and vendor id instead of adding it to the list, hopefully now it'll increase the success rate of this method.Thanks dashaund!

Hello !

I have Leopard 10.5.1 and a Saphire x1650 with 512MB and I followed all the instructions in the first post, after which my resolution got limited to 1024x768 and now it says that I have 256MB. My devidce ID is 0x71cd. Can you please help me out on this ? I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance

Hello Group!

I've been trying to work out my graphics card too from the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 install. I have the ATI X1650, 512Mb, with a device ID of 0x71c6. I'm also booting in DVI mode. Installing Kalyway without selecting a video setup in the install worked fine with only one option of a 1024 x 768 resolution. Following some steps found on the uphuck forum, I was able to get my card to go to a higher resolution. I could see a desktop with smaller icons after rebooting, but the computer was locked up at that point. Rebooting only brought it back to the same locked up state.

Being as new to OSX and Apple as I am, does this OS have anything similar to WinXP's boot to safe mode and a driver roll-back to revert to my previous KEXT? That sure would help. The only thing I could figure to do was re-install Leopard and try again.

Thanks for all your advice! If anyone would like to send me KEXT files which are known to work, I sure would appreciate it.

LampShade