[Guide] ATI x1x00 Video Cards on Leopard; QE/CI Enabled

MacMan2007

152 posts in this topic

This worked fine for X1300 Readon Pro!! Thanks for your help. All i did was edit the info.plist to match my deviceID, amd changed Wormy to Caretta.

Hi C. Em, would you be so kind to send me the files changed for making to work the X1300 Pro card (mine is a PCI-e Sapphire) under Leopard. I have tried the Diabolik package but unsuccesfully (it was for 10.4.9 Tiger so ...). Or. could you tell me exactly the changes you made. Thank you in advance.

I tried the install for 0x71c2, with AGP x1600 pro 512mb on an intel P4, ToH.

It just stays on a blue screen.

But. When I hit shift + ctrl+ eject... wow!

I tried to do an upgrade with Toh DVD from Uphuck 10.4.9 with the same video card (0x71c2 AGP x1600 pro 512 mb) on p4 3.0G, I get a blue screen too. On Uphuck 10.4.9, it was working near perfect ( no DVI out).

Did you find a solution for the blue screen?

Pls elaborate on ' But. When I hit shift + ctrl + eject.... wow!'

I have no eject key on my keyboard. How did you do it?

Thanks

Hey THANKS MacMan2007... it was a bit troublesome -your package install did not work for my x1600 AGP 256MB - BUT THEN using your "manual install" I was finally able to get QE/CI to work. I am using TOH's great LEO install disk on a ASUS P4P800 -SE board.

Just trashed the ATIINJECT.kext and added the data as you described to the other kext.

I haven't been able to change resolutions though... I guess I have to edit some other playlist if I remember correctly. Or give NATIT a try? For Ati AGP cards usually NATIT is not recommended, is this right?

OK cheers and happy experimenting to all...

ninetto

MacMan2007, after applying PC_EFI patch and installing latest 10.5.1 update, ive loose QE and resolution changing again (theres just software CI).

Hope that you release new and better package... :(

10.5.1 Installs a new ATIRadeonX1000.kext so you can either do the hex editing manually or try deleting the updated kext (ATIRadeonX1000.kext) out of your System/Library/Extensions folder and install my old package again to see if it works. But I will be coming out with a better package soon.

Aww... too late, ive overinstall package - without any results :< Im really sick of editing kext, so ill be waiting for next package.. hope soon :<

Im so stupid... package works after deleting ATIRadeonX1000.kext, sorry for bothering you MacMan2007 :\.

hi there,

thanks, it worked. :D

using both atiinject.kext and edited atiradeonx1000.kext (and hexedit bits as well)...

(sapphire pci-e x1650 pro, 256 ram ddr2, device id 0x71c1, leopard 10.5 brazilmac)

post-141100-1195516148_thumb.png

UPDATE: As of 11/17/07 I removed the install packages from this guide. Too many people where having difficulties with them. I would advise doing it manually until I have time to make better install packages. I would also suggest that you use ATIinject.kext first then if that doesn't work, refer to update 2.

• 2 weeks later...
hi there,

thanks, it worked. :blink:

using both atiinject.kext and edited atiradeonx1000.kext (and hexedit bits as well)...

(sapphire pci-e x1650 pro, 256 ram ddr2, device id 0x71c1, leopard 10.5 brazilmac)

I have the identical card on Leo 10.5.1, followed the instructions to the dot but I always get stuck at the blue screen right before login with mouse cursor. No AGP here, it's pci-e. Any help what I can do?

Hi all,

after a lot of test I succeded to use QE with my x1600 (device id 7181). I don't need to change the resolution and so I left the option "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32". The kernel panic you see modifing the device id in ATIRadeonX1000.kext come from a wrong chipset used. For example if you see http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/ my device id 7181 corresponds to the chipset RV516 while the 71c0 as in this thread corresponds to RV530. Even if my card is a x1600 I searched a deviced id with chipset RV516 and I found 7187 (x1300). I changed in original ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Content/Info.plist 71871002 with 71811002. I edited the original ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Content/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 (I don't remember well the path :rolleyes: ) changing only 8771 with 8171 and it worked :(

The solution is not perfect (some weird problem with mouse pointer) but it works and now I can use timemachine.

Ciao Angelo

my ATI RADEON x1600 pro pci-e Work!

Thanks to Angelo...Now i post my version of "patch" trying to explain my problems and how i've solved they.

First of all: the version of my device id. I've found it in:

Click on the top bar, on the apple and do: about this mac, after "more info"

here, on the left, select info about "graphics". Here u can see device id. Mine is 71c2

Now go in System/Library/Extensions and copi ATIRadeonX1000.kext on your desktop (copy, not move!)

Now right mouse click and "show package content"

Now click on "Contents" foldere, inside there is a file called Info.plist

In this file you can find a string called

<string>0x71871002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71461002 0x71421002 0x71091002 0x71C51002 0x71C01002 0x72401002 0x72491002 0x72911002</string>

In this string, wherever u want, copy one of piece like "0x71C01002" and paste between the other renamed in base of your device id (in my chase is "0x71C21002")

Now close and save

Another simple step and we have finished:

Download 0xed from internet.

Like the other explain, you must open the file ATIRadeonX100.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 with Oxed.

Now, always with Oxed select: edit->find->find...

for search cryterius you must write the "bad" device id of your videocard(71c0), taking care to write before c0 and after 71.

WARNING: in the find dialogue there is a selector that allow you to decide how to search: you must selec HEX instead TEXT...text desn't return any correct value.

HOW TO SET FIND:

Where u must write what to find you must write "c071" and where it says "replace" u must write the id of your card. (c271 in my chase) and press "replace all"

I don't know if is the same for all, but my soft. has found two strings and replaced this two. Anyway, now we can save and close all.

LAST STEP:replace this file "ATIRadeonX1000.kext" in the original folder:

/System/Library/Extensions/

and replace, confirm or allow all action that our Leopard asks we...

VERY LAST STEP:

Open disk utility and repair permission. reboot...

If all is done perfectly in "about this mac->more info->graphic" we can see that quartz express is activated.

POST SCRITTUM: for the resolution, i haven't found another solution out of force it on the boot like most people have written in this forum.

Thanks to all for the support, great job to all in the world.

Greetings from Naples, the city of Pizza.

Toto

I have the identical card on Leo 10.5.1, followed the instructions to the dot but I always get stuck at the blue screen right before login with mouse cursor. No AGP here, it's pci-e. Any help what I can do?

thought I got it but I either have Qe/Ci with mouse tearing or no Qi/Ci without mouse tearing.

here is what I did. I used the flatimage to install Leo. Booted up fine with 1024x768 res on my Dell XPS400 with Saphire X1650 pci-e 256mb, id# 71c1, dual monitor setup with dual dvi.

then I did this to find when I get my resolution correct (1280x1024) and get rid of mouse tearing:

1) I used koslowski's 71C1 files (ATIRadeonX1000.kext; ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin; ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle).

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52826

that alone didn't do anything. I got my res by forcing it in boot.Apple.plist

2) I then installed the other files that I did not change in 1) from the modbin package

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35733

I replaced these files: ATINDRV.kext; ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle; IONDRVSupport.kext

always fixed permissions, rebooted and voila, no mouse tearing and I have a number of resolutions to pick under display props. but now there is no qe/ci!

I tried this the other way around, first installed modbin's package and then 71c1 files, but the same happens.

When I put the original ATINDRV.kext back in I have QE/CI back but now with mouse tearing, no resolutions to pick

I would like to get dual monitor also, but it only mirrors at the moment and doesn't detect two monitors (un/replug doesn't help, no options in display props)

am I missing sth here?

thank you

edit1:

ok, redid everything, this time modbin first then kazlowski's method, but edited original leo files . I end up with the same as above. I have Qe/Ic but mouse tearing and mirrored dvi monitors.

edit2:

I upgraded to 10.5.1 and reinstalled the kexts. Now I have everything, I can even rotate the screen and have multiple resolutions to pick from. The only thing that is still missing is the second monitor on DVI 2. it just shows black. Under sys profiler in the graphic section it shows Mirror as off. any hints? Is there a software solution for multiple monitors for macs like ultramon for win?

hi all,

editing the radeonx1000 info.plist i found

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71C01002&0xFFF0FFFF</string>

instead of this

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71871002 0x71c31002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71461002 0x71421002 0x71091002 0x71C51002 0x72401002 0x72491002 0x72911002</string>

i tried replacing my device id anyway, but it didnt work

any suggestions?

thanks

sorry, i was away but i see you managed! congrats!