VMWare Fusion on Leopard

xxDriveNxx

44 posts in this topic

Running a Pentium D SSE3 with ATI Radeon x1300 (QE/CI enabled). And using ToH RC2 of Leopard.

Trying to get VMWare Fusion working, but I keep getting the same error when I try and launch a virtual machine.

"VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vmx)

NOT_REACHED bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1216

A log file is available in "/Volumes/Documents/Windows Vista.vmwarevm/vmware.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.

To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement."

Has anyone ever encountered this? Seems to be some sort of issue with Quartz, looking at the filepath.

Solutions?

What may be related is a similar problem in Parallels Desktop for Leopard: neither Windows XP or Vista will start directly from CD, DVD, or an ISO; however, Windows 2000 does. I may have to do a *chain upgrade* to test out XP (or Vista) via PD on my Leopard-based Hackintosh.

I wish I could even get as far as you folks have. Every time I try to install Fusion I get a kernel panic at the end of the install. :(

I have isolated the problem to the post-install script that loads a vm monitor but have no idea how to correct the problem.

Oh well. For me at least Parallels appears to run ok.

Are you trying the latest version of Fusion i.e. 1.01? I'm running exactly that on ToH's RC2 build and it works flawlessly.

You might want to snag the new version if you haven't already.

Cheers.

I went to the VMware site and the latest release I can locate is

Download VMware Fusion 1.0 (for Mac OS X)

Latest Released Version: 1.0 | 08/05/07 | 51348 | 159 MB

Is this the one you mean or do you have a link to a different release?

I found the Fusion 1.1 Rc! and downloaded it. When I tried to install it I got 1 of 2 reactions. When it started running the final install script the system hung - no cursor, no spaces shift - no reaction. Or, I got the kernel panic - reboot message. Either way I had to power off and reboot. :)

Just to add a note about a configuration that works.

I've got leopard on a p5k-vm, Core 2 Duo. I've done nothing special, intall was using the BrazilMac method from osx86scene, Vmware Fusion 1.1 RC works perfectly for me with XP installed in a VM.

So odd, I also have this problem. I downgraded to 1.0, tried the 1.1 beta and release candidate and even the final 1.1 release and all throw the same error:

[msg.log.error.unrecoverable] VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vmx)

This worked fine in Tiger. phnix, maybe you can do an ls -la on your/Applications/VMWare Fusion.app or something? I'm on a laptop, I wonder if it has something to do with my display driver (X1600).

I did the same, the most weird thing is that my AMD with Leo is working fine with Fusion 1.0 (and I dont want to try 1.1 yet).

On my Intel Laptop I try booting with -legacy as my AMD boots (because there is no other way right now) but does not work either.

I installed my old Parallels setup meanwhile :)

]EDIT:

Hey guys, did you Install LEOPARD or did you Upgrade your TIGER ?

I did an Install on my Laptop where Fusion is not working, but I did an upgrade to Leo on my Destop where Fusion is working right.

Maybe some library or file from Tiger is nessary.

EDIT2:

Never mind, I tested a new INSTALL Leo on my AMD and Fusion works, damn, I'm out of Ideas.

EDIT3:

Today I started my AMD Rig without the NVDAResman.kext and ran Fusion, then I got the same error as my Mac Dell, so I guess that on Leopard Fusion needs Quartz Extreme to work, thas a sad thing since on Tiger I could run Fusion without QE/CI :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm.. Everything written here also happens to me.

I've tried version 1.0, but i cant even get past the installation (kernel panic while installing and also after reboot). Had to uninstall it in safe boot.

Also tried v1.1 but my system hangs while installer is running the last script in the installation. No mouse, keyboard input, hd activity..

So i try installing them using Pacifist, got them both to install and open but i cant enter any kind of serial key. always tells me its invalid. therefore i still cant start any guest os. darn.

Jas 10.4.8 updated to 10.4.11 and using ToH 8.9.1 kernel from kalyway dvd.

P4 2.3ghz. ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. QE/CI Enabled.

Guess im stuck in Parallels..

MacGirl:

According to my System Profiler I should be good:

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c4

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

What gives?

And it crashes with the same error?

Yup, exact same error, with or without 3D acceleration. When I had Tiger this worked fine. I have a T60p with a Radeon X1600, and I'm using the ATIRadeonX1000.kext that came with Leopard - I added my device id to it (version 1.5.18.7, 5045).

Blargh.