Leo freezes at "Do You Already Own a Mac" screen *FIX*

Ashok0

19 posts in this topic

If you have this problem, install Tiger first, make sure you BOOT INTO IT ONE TIME and create a User Profile. Then reboot and install Leopard on top of Tiger without performing and Erase. When Leo boots it will use the Tiger profile.

• 2 weeks later...

For myself I've found alernate way. My serial\paralel ports are always disabled in BIOS, because I've never used them. And then I've enabled them Leo goes to create user and so on. Also I've seen somewhere on this forum that same problem may be if you have bluetooth, IrDA disabled. So try o enable all of your built-in hardware.. Also I think that maybe you can try to create user in single user mode (but I don't know how) or try to boot in safe mode.

I had the same issue installing on a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop. For me, the problem must have been rooted in an issue with my GeForce 7300LE or onboard Intel 10/100 VE LAN, because after removing the GeForce from the box (using onboard Intel GMA X3100 for install), disabling on-board ethernet and throwing in a generic 3com NIC, was able to get past 'Do You Already Own a Mac' screen without issue. Put the GeForce back in after initial setup and runs fine now with NVinject for Leopard. If I end up having to re-install, I'll try narrowing it down to one or the other and post my findings here.

For myself I've found alernate way. My serial\paralel ports are always disabled in BIOS, because I've never used them. And then I've enabled them Leo goes to create user and so on.

same here, enabling my serial and parallel ports fixed the freeze for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i used macdrive and vmware to create a user profile and put it in my fresh leopard install but it hasnt affected anything. same loop... what exactly am i supposed to copy over to have it boot right into leopard? i copied all tat was in the users folder..

• 2 weeks later...

Problem is totally related to the network card drivers. Don't believe me? Go read the logs in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter.

You'll see a log there, scan thru it looking for the thread that crashed. Now look at the text in the square brackets at the end (read from the bottom up). It'll all be talking about wanting network access.

While you can get passed the problem doing a lot of tricks, you will still not having a working network card. Fix the root cause of the problem and then you will get passed this stage.

This is a very common problem with systems using a Marvell Yukon network card.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't solve this problem!

I have disable all onboard card, like eth and 1394, but I ever see "Do You Already Own a Mac" screen!!!

I have PCI Ethernet with 8139d RealTek chipset, i must remove this?

I don't have any idea to solve this problem...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dell Inspiron 530 user here, and simply unplugging my network cable did the trick. I have on-board LAN, but did not bother turning it off from BIOS.

edit: after several attempts to get my on-board LAN working, i went for a fresh installation. using the exact same options during installation, i'm back at the loop, but this time, leaving the ethernet cable unplugged and/or disabiling the on-board LAN from the BIOS hasn't done the trick. seems as though there are special circumstances or timing that allow the tricks to work... (?)