Leopard on iMac G4 800 MHZ - dies on wake up!

Miukku Maukku

82 posts in this topic

This is a known issue with the GeForce2 and GeForce4 chipsets. The GeForce4 is found on the 1 Gigahertz and higher G4 iMacs, so it not due to the machine being unsupported. It is a driver issue with the nVidia chipsets.

So far the only way out is a reboot. They will probably fix it in a later update if they get enough complaints from users of supported machines.

:( Please someone help... I hate to powerup and powerdown via the power button on my imac g4 700, and I would hate even more downgrading to Tiger as otherwise everything is great... if there at least would be a SafeSleep Utility (Hibernation) which works, but I could not find anything yet....

Regards

I posted this at Apple Support Discussions, but it'll come in handy for readers here, too.

I've got a workaround, but it disables Quartz Extreme.

Back up all of the GeForce* and NVDA* files in /System/Library/Extensions. I stuck them in a folder called /System/Library/Extensions/geforce-10.5.1 to keep a backup. Then, remove them and replace them with their Tiger equivalents. Make sure that the ownership of the files is correct:

bash$ sudo chown -Rh root:wheel GeForce* NVDA*

bash$ sudo chmod -R a+rX,u+w,go-w GeForce* NVDA*

The 10.5.1 set of files includes:

GeForce.kext

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

10.4.10 doesn't include GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle or NVDANV50Hal.kext.

The only bundles relevant to the GeForce4 MX card are GeForce.kext, GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle, NVDANV10Hal.kext, and NVDAResman.kext. You need to take them as a group, or you'll wind up with a system that won't load any graphics drivers or won't boot at all. I take all of the rest of the files to keep things in sync.

If you've loaded the Tiger drivers, you should see something like this:

bash$ kextstat | grep -E 'GeForce|NVDA'

68 2 0x2f293000 0x23a000 0x239000 com.apple.NVDAResman (4.5.6) <67 66 17 12 6 5 4 2>

87 0 0x2616e000 0x5d000 0x5c000 com.apple.GeForce (4.5.6) <68 67 66 17 12 6 5 4 2>

This resolves the "display sleep blanks display but doesn't turn it off" problem for me. I never put the affected computer to sleep, but I tested that too, and am able to make it sleep fully, wake it up, and resume using it without any video artifacts.

Unfortunately, Quartz Extreme winds up disabled with this workaround. That may run interference for some applications.

Hi

I got a iMac G4 700 Mhz today and installed Leopard on it like you have done. And I'm having the same problem when the computer wakes up from sleep. I was thinking if it has something to do with the display itself.

I also have a PowerMac G4 dual 450 Mhz with a mac flashed Geforce 2 MX card (originally a PC card) and it is running Leopard as well. Quartz extreme works and I don't have any display problems and the computer goes to sleep and wakes up without any problem. Have anyone tried to connect a secondary monitor to the mini-vga port and then put the computer to sleep?(I don't have a mini-VGA to VGA, so I can't test it myself) If the secondary display doesn't get problem, then the problem should be the iMac display.

If anyone figures out how to get rid of the display problem and still have Quartz Extreme, please let me know. And if I can help in any way, please let me know.

To bad it didn't work. :( Thank you for testing it. It was worth a try even if it didn't work.

Something is weird because the Geforce 2 MX card on my PowerMac works perfectly. No display problems at all. Are there some "Legal Leopard running macs" with Geforce 2 Mx cards? If there are, how are they working?

But I don't think it's the drivers because the Geforce 2 MX card on my PowerMac is running fine.

I checked compared the two computers using the System Profiler

I went under Graphic/Display

Chipset Mode: Geforce2 MX

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total) 32 MB

Vendor NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0110

And now comes the things that is different from the PowerMac and the iMac

PowerMac:

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM-version: 1055

iMac

Revision ID: 0x00b2

ROM-version: 1057.008.2

The PowerMac har a lower ROM-version and it still works better then the iMac card. And with the 1055 ROM-version, Quartz Extreme worked perfectly under Tiger (Which it doesn't do on the iMac)

Can it be the ROM-version? Is there any update?

The G4 800 is below the minimum requirements of Leopard... did any of you think of that?

By 67MHz... :D I doubt it matters much!

And besides, many people with even slower machines have reported Leo works as well as, if not better than Tiger. It's an artificial limitation. This graphics driver issue isn't!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The developers have already received 10.5.2. Maybe a kind soul could tell where to get download or try it out?

Otherwise maybe one of these developers might report the problem back to Apple (if 10.5.2 doesn't solve the issue) given the fact, that not only that leopard unsupported G4 700/800 Imacs are concerned with these problems on wake up.

Keeping up the hope :P

Kind regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It worked for me too. But I have some nasty graphic things going on. I see them when I use expose or move the mouse pointer over the dock. Does you also have it, or is it just me? I recognize this behaviour when I was flashing the Geforce II PC card. But this is less irritating.

If you also have problem, please tell me so I know that I'm not alone :rolleyes: and that we'll hopefully get a Leopard Graphic update 1.1