Asus P5K-E and Leopard $$$ Now with iATkOS.. first post updated $$$

vikingboy

190 posts in this topic

Hi all

thanks to all the wonderful users of this community I was able to install Leopard on my Intel PC

my config is as follows

Asus P5K-E WiFi AP mobo

Core 2 duo Conroe E6750

Crucial 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 Mhz

EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB

Seagate 320GB SATA

Seagate 250GB IDE

Lite-On 20X DVDburner SATA

I used the following method.. might work for other Asus P5k's too

1) downloaded the "flat" image of leopard (2.5 GB)

2) erased all the partitions on IDE hard disk using windows disk management

3) made a new 20 GB partition on IDE hard disk using diskpart

create partition size=20480 id=af

4) copied the downloaded "leopard-x86-flat-img" on new partition using dd

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=5M --progress

5) when it finished, changed SATA config to AHCI in BIOS... and boot priority to IDE disk

6) Leopard booted without any issues

7) Installed G80 graphics drivers thanks to mac.nub's easy installer.. after which my 8800 GTS was detected perfectly

8) Ran the P5KeFix script which made the audio and LAN work fine.. thanks to asap18

- Unpack the script to the DESKTOP.

you should have a folder "p5ke" now on your desktop

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

cd desktop/p5ke
chmod +x p5kefix.sh
sudo ./p5kefix.sh

- Input your password, let the BASH do it's work.

- Type SUDO -S in Terminal

- Type REBOOT and press ENTER. Your Rig should reset.

9) Installed the WiFi drivers for 8187 chipset from Realtek site.. WiFi working

10) Repaired permissions on the leopard drive (very imp)

and so here I am... most of the stuff working fine...

I'm still in the process of configuring the system properly

Questions and comments welcome :)

Edit: Required files

Graphics card driver installer - for 8800 series cards only

http://rapidshare.com/files/66879843/G80Installer.zip

Realtek drivers for RTL8187 chipset

http://rapidshare.com/files/66879937/MacOS10.4_Universal_Driver_1.4.5_UI1.4.7.zip

UPDATE: looks like asap18's P5KE fix script has some issues with leopard...

the network connections will NOT work properly until AppleYukon2.kext is deleted manually

you can find it inside /system/library/extensions/IONetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins/

I have updated the script to reflect this change, now the wifi works without issues.. just install this script (modified version of asap18's one)

http://rapidshare.com/files/67089602/p5ke_leopard.zip

EDIT: iATkOS

the latest and greatest Leopard 10.5.1 release iATkOS by Uphuck works perfectly on P5K-E

Installation steps

• Download iATkOS v1.0i (2.08 GB size)
  • Extract the zip file using WinRAR 3.71
  • Burn the ISO file to a DVD using the slowest speed possible... usually 2x
  • Restart and make sure "SATA configuration" in BIOS is set as AHCI
  • boot from DVD by pressing F8.. it should boot fine into graphical mode and bring you to the installation screen
  • Now select disk Utility from the utilities menu and partition the disk on which you plan to install leopard.
  • I installed iATkOS on a separate SATA hard disk with just one partition... and chose MBR mode while partitioning... remember to format the partition as Mac journaled file system
  • Now start Darwin_boot under utilities menu... it'll ask for your disk and partition number which you can get from disk utility... remember if its like disk0s1 in disk utility then you have to give disk number 1 and partition number 1 (not 0 and 1.... speaking from experience here)
  • choose yes to install EFI
  • now the script will do its thing... make sure it doesnt throw up any errors and then exit terminal
  • now choose your partition on which to install iATkOS
  • click "customize" and select vanilla kernel, video card drivers, macfuse, etc
  • it should install without any hitch and reboot
  • when it restarts and shows the darwin loader press any key for advanced options and enter "rd=your leopard disk id"... e.g i had to enter "rd=disk0s1" without quotes... if you dont perform this step it'll loop the welcome animation many times
  • now it'll ask you to customize which you can as you like it... and boot to the desktop
  • now edit apple.com.boot.plist file and include the rd command in kernel flags so that you dont have to enter it everytime
  • run the p5kefix script as above.. and reboot.... after this your audio and LAN should be working
  • install the realtek wireless client... which will make your asus wifi work... (i havent been able to test the connection yet)
  • and thats it.... most of the things working right now.. with correct processor and graphics card detection all running on vanilla apple kernel with EFI... the sleep issue is still there.. amybe someone else can help with fixing it...

I'm gonna get me one of those bad boys for sure.

Does the JMicron controller work, or are you only able to use the 4 sata ports on the standard controller?

Have you fooled around with raid? Actually has anyone fooled around with raid...

Others report being able to use the JMicron as normal sata ports.

Also you got a link to the p5kefix script?

Cheers

Yeah this board really rocks..

yes I guess the Jmicron controller works coz leopard is on the IDE drive

and the SATA drives are working fine too

havent checked eSATA though

sorry no RAID for me too

i've included the links in first post for required files

Enjoy

if you mean DVD drive then yeah it works fine..

although I manually created fresh 20gb partition on the IDE drive still somehow the flat image resized it to 15 gb..

now leopard doesnt let me resize the partition or create a new partition in the empty 217gb

doesnt matter much to me but you can still resize the partition using a linux live CD

whenever i need the space i'll just create a 200gig FAT32 partition so that it can be accessed by both OSX and vista...

err... i mean installing through DVD. cos using the flat image is quite troublesome due the the partition size limitations... you cannot increase the size of a hfs+ easily using a linux live cd. although you can create another partition. its not the same as a single one, as you have to shift your home, applications etc to the other partition...

no i didnt try installing from dvd..

after installation works correctly, you can just clone your 15gb partition to a larger partition

UPDATE: looks like asap18's P5KE fix script has some issues with leopard...

the network connections will NOT work properly until AppleYukon2.kext is deleted manually

you can find it inside /system/library/extensions/IONetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins/

here is the fixed script

http://rapidshare.com/files/67089602/p5ke_leopard.zip

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

cd desktop/p5ke
chmod +x p5kefix.sh
sudo ./p5kefix.sh

after installation works correctly, you can just clone your 15gb partition to a larger partition

1st time install on proper hardware thanks to your guide.

how can i clone the the partition to a larger drive?

can this be done in windows/linux?

Salve a tutti ho effettuato per l'ennesima volta l'installazione di Leopard versione patchata TOH rc2 sul mio pc con questa configurazione:

Asus P5K-E

Intel Q6600 Quad core

2 gb ram 800mh

hard disk seagate barracuda 7200.10 da 320 gb

scheda video XFX 7600Gt

Wireless card Atheros

Ho installato con successo i driver Natit e ho patchato il Kext per la scheda wireless

Ho provato ad eseguire lo script p5ke.zip modificato , ma al riavvio il pc non fa il boot, appare la mela con molte scritte ...debug error... etc etc

ho reinstallato facendo il solito procedimento e riparando i permessi con utility disk , ma il problema rimane!

Come devo fare?!??!? :)

HELPPPP

My PCI Netgear Wireless ar5212 is not working. I even tried replacing the IO82211Family.kext from 10.4.9 uphucks install that was working.

Someone suggested the orangeware OWD .

It this what JAS and Uphuck used on their releases?

Ho installato con successo i driver Natit e ho patchato il Kext per la scheda wireless

Ho provato ad eseguire lo script p5ke.zip modificato , ma al riavvio il pc non fa il boot, appare la mela con molte scritte ...debug error... etc etc

ho reinstallato facendo il solito procedimento e riparando i permessi con utility disk , ma il problema rimane!

Come devo fare?!??!? :P

English please.. then maybe somebody can help you

Anybody get Time Machine working with the Asus P5K-E mobo? Everything else is working great.

In my install, I managed to switched time machine on and it was showing that fancy interface too.. but it wanted to have a separate disk for backups which I didnt had so couldnt test it properly..

My PCI Netgear Wireless ar5212 is not working. I even tried replacing the IO82211Family.kext from 10.4.9 uphucks install that was working.

Someone suggested the orangeware OWD .

It this what JAS and Uphuck used on their releases?

Is your adapter showing up in the network settings?

what method did you use for install?

P.S Can everybody reading this thread please list what release did they use to get leopard working?

tnx vikingboy i got everything working now... except my processor Q6600..

when i go to "About This Mac" on processor field there are "2.41 Ghz Unknown" not the "Core 2 Duo Q6600"... what do i need to recognize my processor....

Hello all I have done for the umpteenth time installing Leopard version patched TOH rc2 on my PC with this configuration:

Asus P5K-E

Intel Q6600 Quad core

2 gb ram 800mh

Seagate hard disk barracuda 7200.10 from 320 gb

Video card XFX 7600Gt

Wireless card Atheros

I successfully installed the drivers Natit and I patched the Kext for the wireless card

I tried to run the script p5ke.zip fixed for leopard, but when I restart the computer does not boot, it is the apple with many written debugging error ... ... Etc etc

I reinstalled by the usual procedure and repairing permissions with utility disk, but the problem remains!

How can I do ?!??!?

HELPPPP

blunotte69 you need install p5ke script this way... and everything will be ok..

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

cd desktop/p5ke
chmod +x p5kefix.sh
sudo ./p5kefix.sh

@blunotte69

can you explain i detail what you did step by step?

try reinstalling from scratch but WITH rebooting after EACH driver installation or patch

this will help to isolate the problem

also i tried my method only with flat image so cant guarantee if it works with ToH rc2

@Prox

you're welcome man...

can you confirm whats working and whats not on your rig? and which method you chose to install?

as for the proccy prob, it doesnt matter much but you can try setting the fsb correctly while booting and see if that solves it...

find out your fsb by PC wizard and divide it by 4

e.g if it shows fsb as 1,333 then your fsb is 333

now press F8 while booting and input fsb=333 on boot prompt..

if it solves your problem you can apply it on every boot automatically too.

@CJS

resizing OSX partition using Ubuntu live CD is in fact very simple

here is the info if you need it

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89960

UPDATE: ToH RC2 DVD will NOT boot on P5K-E mobo if you have an IDE DVD drive.... you MUST have SATA or USB DVD drive

Same problem, i made step by step the istruction of PROX:

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

CODEcd desktop/p5ke

chmod +x p5kefix.sh

sudo ./p5kefix.sh

But when i reboot system freeze immediately and i see some errors :

DEBUG PANIC and many numbers, the image of on-off button with the message in three language that say to reboot by pressing start button.

In detail i made this:

i install Leopard TOH RC2 in a new disk formatting it from tiger with mbr partition,

after install i reboot with dvd inside and i mad the script:

cd /usr/misc

./script.sh leopard

after this leopard normally boot, after i patch wireless card for atheros chipset, i install natit for my xfx 7600 gt.

i reboot and all, except sound card seems to go!

when i try to made the script with pk5-e.zip modified for leopard and when i reboot i have the problem .

my system:

mobo Asus p5k-e

core 2 q6600 quad core

graphic card: xfx 7600 gt

wi-fi atheros chipset

1 wd 500 gb (with tiger 10.4.10)

1 seagate 320 gb barracuda (for leopard)

1 wd 250 gb (with vista)

asus dvd sata

P.s:

Sorry for my english, I'm Italian