Leopard Server on PowerMac G4

mow

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Leopard Server on a G4 400 Mhz. Booting off on my Macbook, I can't install on the G4 (via FW Target mode) coz it complains on installing on an Apple Partition Map disk, asking for a GUID disk. But, if I switch the G4 disk to GUID, it won't be 'able to boot! What's the trick here? I'll try to boot off a FW disk with Leo Server installed on it and then clone it, but does it mean that Leo Server can't be installed on a APT disk? I also need to try to boot hte G4 with a patched DVD, but I'm still working on it.

Not at all, my g4 runs tiger server just fine, FTP/Web/ARD/Mail everything 24/7 100%. Now, I want leopard, and since everybody is reporting speed increases, why it should be different?

Anyway, let's imagine I go out and buy a 1Ghz G4 for my PM, will I be able to run Leo on that? I meet the reqs, but there's something wrong with the APT disks apparently.

btw, what you mean with firmware revisions? can you please elaborate?

Solved.

What I did:

1) Using my macbook, installed OS X Server on a partition of an external USB/FW disk, using either a burned DVD-DL or a image restored to another partition

2) Took out the HD from my g4, put it into a FW/USB disk (the disk contains an Apple Partition Map

3) Boot off the install DVD, using the Disk utility to restore the installed server on the G4's HD WITHOUT CHANGING the partition scheme

4) Put the back the HD and voila'

Well..it's painfully slow. Really. So slow it makes me feel guilty to ever tried to do such a foolish thing. But hey - I got the coolest home mac server ever!

Plus I think I just can be the only guy on earth who can show this:

1.jpg

DOHA!!

• 1 year later...
Well..it's painfully slow. Really. So slow it makes me feel guilty to ever tried to do such a foolish thing. But hey - I got the coolest home mac server ever!

It's slow because of (lack of more) memory. Give it the maximum memory and it will be better...