leopard post installation [solved]

mrbonkers

19 posts in this topic

i'm having problem booting into leopard after a successful installation. when i boot into leopard, the darwin boot load does not show up. it just show a blinking "_"

i patched the dvd using BrazilMAC's patch and also did a patch after the installation which was required.

I had the same problem.

When you insert the OSXdvd and boot (do not press a key to install) does it find your leo and boot.

If so, check to see if your drive is formatted using the MBR partitioning scheme.

there are several thing you have to do to make it work. I'll get back to you on that

I had the same problem.

When you insert the OSXdvd and boot (do not press a key to install) does it find your leo and boot.

If so, check to see if your drive is formatted using the MBR partitioning scheme.

there are several thing you have to do to make it work. I'll get back to you on that

replies to your question, i did not press any key to boot into the installation, i just let it boot to the installer. as for the partition, it is correctly formatted using the MBR scheme.

the installation completed without any errors. when i boot into tiger and patch the hard disk(where leopard is installed on) every thing went smoothly. but when i try to boot into leopard after patching it, it just show me a blinking _. it does not load to darwin boot loader.

i've tried some ways; DD boot1h and blessing the hard disk. still no success. i'm trying to install leopard again, i repatched the dvd and i'm installing it now..

i'm looking forward to the solution you are going to give. i've tried googling but found very little people having this problem.

thanks in advance

The following is copied from another forum and modified to match your situation

Load from the DVD and Open up terminal. This is what you do

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (replace X and x with the disk/partition you will restore the image to) (press tab after /dev/rdisk to see your options)

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

Your partition is now active!

MAKING IT BOOTABLE

In order to follow the next steps you'll need a usb drive with startuptool on it (can be found on this forum or google) Make sure the drive is inserted before booting the dvd

- First, Lets Unmount the disk: In terminal type: diskutil umount diskXsx

- Ok, now lets put the file “boot1h” in the beginning of the partition: In terminal, browse to the i386 folder inside the installation dvd

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1

- Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code: (change directory to your pendrive where startup tool is i.e. cd /Volumes/USBdisk/tools)

startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

- And last, lets give the pope’s blessing to the partition:

bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Now, mount and bless the mount:

· diskutil mount /diskXsx

· bless -mount /Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_NAME -setBoot -verbose (Volume name is prob Leopard)

reboot, everthing should be fine now

People, feel free to correct me.

It points to your harddisk.

You know is as (for example) Leopard. Leopard is the mounted version of /dev/disk0s1 (0 stands for harddisk 0, 1 stands for partition 1). The Leopard disk refers to /Volumes/Leopard, Volumes/Leopard is the mounted version of disk 0 partition 1

hope it helps

I think that I have the answer for all who have the issue with the blinking '_'

I was fumbling around this problem for HOURS... I ended up looking over the '9a581PostPatch.sh' file and I was looking at the following part in the file...

-------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------------------------

IFS=$'\n' # important!

PATCH="/Volumes/Patcher/files/leopatch/" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Leopard" # path to Leopard installation

-------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------------------------

I noticed the PATCH line had 'Patcher' with a capitol P and the rest was lower case... I soon said to myself... My USB thumb drive is formated with the name 'PATCHER' (all CAPS). I then said WOW, unix based {censored} is all case sensitive, so I changed that line to as follows...

IFS=$'\n' # important!

PATCH="/Volumes/PATCHER/files/leopatch/" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Leopard" # path to Leopard installation

and now everything is working perfectly... it took me long enough... shisdfldsjkfsd!

long story short... whatever you name your USB thumb drive when you format it you need to remember to change the PATCH line in the '9a581PostPatch.sh' to match the name and it is CASE sensitive!

if you have any other questions just let me know... i will try and help...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...