• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
i'm having problem booting into leopard after a successful installation. when i boot into leopard, the darwin boot load does not show up. it just show a blinking "_"

i patched the dvd using BrazilMAC's patch and also did a patch after the installation which was required.

theotheo

theotheo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
I had the same problem.
When you insert the OSXdvd and boot (do not press a key to install) does it find your leo and boot.
If so, check to see if your drive is formatted using the MBR partitioning scheme.

there are several thing you have to do to make it work. I'll get back to you on that

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

I had the same problem.
When you insert the OSXdvd and boot (do not press a key to install) does it find your leo and boot.
If so, check to see if your drive is formatted using the MBR partitioning scheme.

there are several thing you have to do to make it work. I'll get back to you on that

replies to your question, i did not press any key to boot into the installation, i just let it boot to the installer. as for the partition, it is correctly formatted using the MBR scheme.

the installation completed without any errors. when i boot into tiger and patch the hard disk(where leopard is installed on) every thing went smoothly. but when i try to boot into leopard after patching it, it just show me a blinking _. it does not load to darwin boot loader.

i've tried some ways; DD boot1h and blessing the hard disk. still no success. i'm trying to install leopard again, i repatched the dvd and i'm installing it now..

i'm looking forward to the solution you are going to give. i've tried googling but found very little people having this problem.

thanks in advance

theotheo

theotheo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
The following is copied from another forum and modified to match your situation

Load from the DVD and Open up terminal. This is what you do

sudo -s
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (replace X and x with the disk/partition you will restore the image to) (press tab after /dev/rdisk to see your options)
fdisk: 1> update
Machine code updated.
fdisk:*1> f 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> w
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> q

Your partition is now active!

MAKING IT BOOTABLE

In order to follow the next steps you'll need a usb drive with startuptool on it (can be found on this forum or google) Make sure the drive is inserted before booting the dvd

- First, Lets Unmount the disk: In terminal type: diskutil umount diskXsx
- Ok, now lets put the file “boot1h” in the beginning of the partition: In terminal, browse to the i386 folder inside the installation dvd

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1
- Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code: (change directory to your pendrive where startup tool is i.e. cd /Volumes/USBdisk/tools)
startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot
- And last, lets give the pope’s blessing to the partition:
bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Now, mount and bless the mount:
diskutil mount /diskXsx
bless -mount /Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_NAME -setBoot -verbose (Volume name is prob Leopard)

reboot, everthing should be fine now

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
i've followed this guide before. it didnt work the last time but now it works :) i must have missed out some point the other time. thanks a lot!!!

theotheo

theotheo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Made some minor modifications (usb disk, using boot files from dvd), those mods made it work for me since the original guide did not work for me either!

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
got a quick question. what;s the difference between /dev/rdiskXsx and /dev/diskXsx?

theotheo

theotheo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
People, feel free to correct me.

It points to your harddisk.
You know is as (for example) Leopard. Leopard is the mounted version of /dev/disk0s1 (0 stands for harddisk 0, 1 stands for partition 1). The Leopard disk refers to /Volumes/Leopard, Volumes/Leopard is the mounted version of disk 0 partition 1

hope it helps

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
bless -mount /Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_NAME -setBoot -verbose (Volume name is prob Leopard) should be bless -mount "/Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_NAME" -setBoot -verbose (Volume name is prob Leopard)

SquidCombo

SquidCombo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
To add, this thing has to be done on the DVD's terminal, i tried it on another drive with tiger to activate and set the boot with no go. Leopard DVD's terminal is the only way.

ho11ywood45

ho11ywood45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
ive been having the same problems! i cant wait to try this when i get home

thanks so much

twophive

twophive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
This is best to be done AFTER the format, before you install.

jdog1001

jdog1001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I think that I have the answer for all who have the issue with the blinking '_'

I was fumbling around this problem for HOURS... I ended up looking over the '9a581PostPatch.sh' file and I was looking at the following part in the file...

-------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------------------------
IFS=$'\n' # important!
PATCH="/Volumes/Patcher/files/leopatch/" # path to the patched extensions
LEO="/Volumes/Leopard" # path to Leopard installation
-------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------------------------

I noticed the PATCH line had 'Patcher' with a capitol P and the rest was lower case... I soon said to myself... My USB thumb drive is formated with the name 'PATCHER' (all CAPS). I then said WOW, unix based {censored} is all case sensitive, so I changed that line to as follows...

IFS=$'\n' # important!
PATCH="/Volumes/PATCHER/files/leopatch/" # path to the patched extensions
LEO="/Volumes/Leopard" # path to Leopard installation

and now everything is working perfectly... it took me long enough... shisdfldsjkfsd!

long story short... whatever you name your USB thumb drive when you format it you need to remember to change the PATCH line in the '9a581PostPatch.sh' to match the name and it is CASE sensitive!

if you have any other questions just let me know... i will try and help...

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
for the part where u set the partition active, it has to be done in terminal. as what SquidCombo has mentioned.

zambatron

zambatron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed after several hoops and what-not, now i get the grey apple screen forever. I started up with -v and it looks like the Natit component initializes, then says 'starting' and then it just sits there.. Help?

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
try removing natit and see what happens

BOBSONATOR

BOBSONATOR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
This is exactly my problem, and im using the iATKOS Leopard DVD, BUT!!!

-bash-3.2# sudo -s
-bash: sudo: command not found
su -s doesnt work either!!!!
!!!!

How can this be???!!!

Thanks in Advance!!

bptba93

bptba93

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
So would i go about doing the above guide if i wanted to keep the vista bootloader (i already have it set up and when clicking OS X i get the blinking cursor but no error)? Or add vista into the darwin booter? Thanks!

revolvrocelot

revolvrocelot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When i type a bless command i get the response "Bless should only be executed from the installation program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy