Leopard Flat-Image Install guide on any partition size

royco

72 posts in this topic

Thats good to hear Ianz, So far this is the best Leopard install for me right now. Easy and Quick. I also successfully installed it by just using any OSX dvd with access to the .img file via disk utility. No need for windows or even a running OSX install.

Will you be trying the pc_EFI patch and upgrade to 10.5.1? If you do could you report if the GMA950 worked on that board? Sleep should work after the EFI patch. I am building a Micro ATX hack and the one I have is working pretty good( Sleep and all) but I am having quality issues with the ECS board and was eyeing the ASrock board. Report back if you have updates.

Hey, i'm just trying it again... i installed the patched ToH kexts to get Time Machine working, which it did btw! however that caused me to lose PS2 support :censored2: so back to the drawing board!!

I would like to try the EFI patch at siome point as i believe it means PC users can finally use the original kernal. I will let u know anything i find out. I am still *very* new at this OSX86 thing!

Regards.

I also successfully installed it by just using any OSX dvd with access to the .img file via disk utility. No need for windows or even a running OSX install.

just done this myself too. copied the img file to a external usb drive, booted with mac.nubs dvd and all was plain sailing. I'd previously also copied over a working XP install to Parallels 3 VM which also worked. so this time its a clean install of Leopard, followed by a clean install of XP in Parallels!

Only reason for running XP is Newsleecher,as i can't find a suitable mac replacement and VSO convertx2dvd.

cheers dude.

I'm having problems with the hatch.

I'm hatching to an external HDD, but I keep getting this error: "Hackintosh Mode requires a Master Boot Record. The target disk you selected has: apple_partition_scheme.

WTF?

Try to re-partition the target drive with the Master boot record option in Diskutility

Royco

I have two hard drives each I put 3 partitions on it. disk1=leopard1, leopard2 and leopard3.

2nd disk is leopard4,5 and 6.

I did this because I am putting multiple installs of Leopard. I tried your method but all I see is the blank leopard desktop and a Spinning colored wheel.

Both hard drives are EFI 8.0 and dd boot1h and boot0.

I don't want to change that.

DO I need one drive MBR for this to work?

My FLat image is a DMG file not IMG. From the Green Demon 10.5.0 by Pinarello so I know I have a good Retail copy.

SO how do you do it with my setup?

SOmeone in IRC told me to go to /volumes/"Mac OSX Leopard DVD"/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mkpg and start the install that way but how do you start it that way?

I have the DMG file on DIsk one partition 3 which is a currently running Leopard OS and want to start the installer that way and choose Leopard 4 to install onto.

How can I do this?

THanks

EDITED FEW HOURS LATER:

I figured another way and I think its a better way. The problem I was having is I could not see the hidden files so I used a program called DISK ORDER and went to the /system/Installation/Packages/ folder and launched OSInstall.mpkg which started the installer and chose Leopard 4 and it installed 100%.

Kexts added to the extension folder were NVInject.kext for my NV 7300GT and DSMOS.kext and used the AppleSMBIOS.kext that came with the EFI 8.0 package.

I have A MAc Pro now that would have cost me about $6000 to buy that Real Mac Pro and mine came to about $2000. Thats because I bought an Intel Extreme Quad core.

Only limitation so far is No Firewire 800 just 400 and the Processor on a True Mac Pro is Zeon with two Quad cores I think but I am still happier with my setup.

EDITED FEW HOURS LATER:

I figured another way and I think its a better way. The problem I was having is I could not see the hidden files so I used a program called DISK ORDER and went to the /system/Installation/Packages/ folder and launched OSInstall.mpkg which started the installer and chose Leopard 4 and it installed 100%.

Kexts added to the extension folder were NVInject.kext for my NV 7300GT and DSMOS.kext and used the AppleSMBIOS.kext that came with the EFI 8.0 package.

I have A MAc Pro now that would have cost me about $6000 to buy that Real Mac Pro and mine came to about $2000. Thats because I bought an Intel Extreme Quad core.

Only limitation so far is No Firewire 800 just 400 and the Processor on a True Mac Pro is Zeon with two Quad cores I think but I am still happier with my setup.

Good to hear you got it working, what benchmark scores (geekbench, xbench) are you getting with your setup?

I used this guide.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

Worked well with the Flat-image+10.5.1 update install and Brazilmac.

I've installed your method and must give you kudos :P works great!

Now, questions, questions....

I can only get your method to work if the drive is MBR. In Hatchery I select Hackintosh for Arch and it works.

Now I see your sig - GUID and EFI...

When I try the EFI trick in the EFI thread, format GUID and select Intel from Arch in Hatchery, it doesn't work.

Your EFI in your sig...is it GUID or MBR? When did you apply the EFI patch, after you installed flat image? I tried this also, and after I apply the EFI patch I only get blinking cursor.

Can you update your guide to specifically and chronologically articulate how you get GUID, EFI and your method to result in an install that one could upgrade to 10.5.1 and can do future "Software Updates"?

Thanks a million in advance!!!

/mdg.

Any ideas why when i plug my usbhdd (which has had the flat image cloned onto it) into my macbook pro to delete the Extensions.mkext, the extensions.mkext on the usbhdd seems to regenerate itself after a few seconds?!?!?

I've installed your method and must give you kudos ;) works great!Now, questions, questions....I can only get your method to work if the drive is MBR. In Hatchery I select Hackintosh for Arch and it works.Now I see your sig - GUID and EFI...When I try the EFI trick in the EFI thread, format GUID and select Intel from Arch in Hatchery, it doesn't work.Your EFI in your sig...is it GUID or MBR? When did you apply the EFI patch, after you installed flat image? I tried this also, and after I apply the EFI patch I only get blinking cursor.Can you update your guide to specifically and chronologically articulate how you get GUID, EFI and your method to result in an install that one could upgrade to 10.5.1 and can do future "Software Updates"?Thanks a million in advance!!!/mdg.
I used disk utility's restore function to install the flat image using GUID. I should update the how-to probably later tonite, the Leopard server install is taking much of my time these past few days :-0
Any ideas why when i plug my usbhdd (which has had the flat image cloned onto it) into my macbook pro to delete the Extensions.mkext, the extensions.mkext on the usbhdd seems to regenerate itself after a few seconds?!?!?
Its because you are deleting them from a Leopard install which rebuilds them right away. You should delete them from single user mode -s.

Success after getting "Package 0 didn't get an HPETP" over and over again and rebooting/repeating.

Yes only one HD. After extracting .bat it booted to Leopard desktop. (Don't manually reboot yet!)

Go to your Leopard drive on your desktop>System>Library>Extensions> and delete "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" also delete System>Library>and delete "Extensions.mkext."

I then rebooted and to Leopard desktop with sound. I haven't hooked up my wireless yet for internet connection.

(This is on my older PC)

Vista Business/XP PRO

P4/3.4

WD 80GB 7200 HDD

Asus P5GD2 Deluxe MB

1GB-DDR2 SDRAM

GeForce 6600/256

SB Audigy 2 6.1

time to change your name :P tripleboot (wireless leo - not)

I think USB wireless devices are pure luck if you get them to work.

You got that right. Name doesn't fit these days. Always hackn' and experimenting. Working on the flat image on a pc in another room which has the Linksys wireless USB. I've tried several drivers so far. No luck. Does't pick up on any of the 6 1.0 USB or 4 2.0 highspeed USB ports. When I pop my 1gb flash drive in shows the icon right on the desktop.

Hi all,

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P 2.0 board and the ethernet doesn't work with the flat image. OS X says the ethernet cable is not plugged in, and none of the lights are on. Any suggestions?

The chipset is RTL8111B (Realtek Gigabit)

Thanks!

Hi Royco,

Thanks a lot, for he guide. It's fantastic. Great work, really.

I would've really appreciated it, if you would help me a little on this, I'm running Tiger for more than six months now on my LG S1 Pro Laptop with no problems. I use Acronis OS selector to dual boot with vista, everything works fine.

Now, i tried your method of getting Leopard installed. The thing is, I only have one internal 160 Gb HDD partitioned as Follows; Vista (40Gb), Hackintosh 10.4.10 (80 Gb), and an Exchange Fat32 40 Gb partition on it. I'm using an extra 320 Gb USB drive as a storage. I didi everything as you explained. I tried to clone the flat image on a 20 Gb partition I created on that USB drive, used H1, cloned perfectly, fixed permissions, fixed boot, deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, but when I boot, Acronis OS selector hangs when I double click the new OS. It sees that there's is a new bootable partition, but it fails to launch it. Not just that, but It also hangs when I try to launch Tiger as well!! when I turn the power off on my USB drive, I works perfectly again..

Please tell me what to do!! I so much want to see leopard running on my system. Thanks in advance.

mythandoryx

------------------

LG S1 Pro

Intel Centrino Duo 2.0 T7200Ghz

1.5 Gb DDR RAM

160 Gb SATA Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 512 Mb

IM not that familiar with Acronis oS selector but I think Ive read that the acronis needs an upgrade for it to see the leopard partition( not sure about this). You could try using different boot managers like BCDedit for vista( The genius bar section has a tutorial for it). You could also try to make the Tiger install active and boot manage from there.

hi there, i tried to follow your guide but can't seem to get past the part where clonetool is used. when i press the hatch button, it asks me if i want to erase, i erase, then it complains that "Intel Mac Mode requires a GUID partition table. The target disk you selected has: FDisk_partition_scheme" i partitioned my external drive using diskutil and selected master boot record from the options. i set the arch to "intel mac". by the way, im using a macbook pro to do all of these instructions, will there be a difference if i used a hackintosh or real mac?

• 2 months later...