Anyone tried making a 16 GB iPhone yet?

flyingsuperpetis

19 posts in this topic

So while impatiently waiting for the iPhone II to come out with it's glistening 16GB HD, I begin to formulate backup plans. What if December comes and goes, and there's still no higher-capacity iphone?

Perhaps I could pick up a 16GB iPod Touch, an iPhone, and swap their harddrives. Maybe even machine a thin little frame to provide additional clearance if need be.

Then I think, surely someone has done this already. Anyone?

...I guess if I'm going to be machining parts, the 160gb ipod classic drive might as well go on there. Wonder if the OS would handle it...

$$$$

why wouldn't you just buy a 16gb or 32gb chip instead of a whole ipod touch to do the swap? surely the chip + iphone would be cheaper than iphone + itouch

Hm. It would be cheaper off the bat. But then I'd have one expensive iphone and one little scrap heap, instead of a 16GB iphone and an 8GB iPod touch. Still, it sounds like the complexity involved, with the wee chips being hard-wired in, probably makes this project not worth attempting. Maybe I'll get a smashed one and play.

i've seen the insides of an 8gh iphone and a 16gb touch, the memory chips are totaly different shapes, i dont think it would be fesible to convert the 16gb to fit in the iphone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not posting stupid, misleading info. And please do not call me a scammer. You have no reason to do anything of the sort!

At the time when I posted my previous post there was a seller on eBay offering a 16GB iPhone which he had made from a 8GB iPhone and then modified with more flash memory. He had 5k+ positive feedback, so unless his account had been hacked I reckon it was for real. (Starting bid was US $5.000,-if I remember right...)

So please leave me out of it. I am neither a scammer or someone trying to sell anything. I just saw an auction on eBay and said so in here.

-KJ

Somebody did a swap of the TSOP flash to double the capacity of an iPod Nano when they first came out, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with the iPhone too. That said, would any software changes be required to make the iPhone recognise the increased capacity?

I'm not posting stupid, misleading info. And please do not call me a scammer. You have no reason to do anything of the sort!

At the time when I posted my previous post there was a seller on eBay offering a 16GB iPhone which he had made from a 8GB iPhone and then modified with more flash memory. He had 5k+ positive feedback, so unless his account had been hacked I reckon it was for real. (Starting bid was US $5.000,-if I remember right...)

So please leave me out of it. I am neither a scammer or someone trying to sell anything. I just saw an auction on eBay and said so in here.

-KJ

in that case i eat my {censored}, sorry mate... :wacko: but many people claims things and forwards u to some joke or some scam... my mistake...

Those old upgrades for the iPods were done to the Minis if I remember correctly, not the Nanos.

The minis actually used a compact flash card, of which you can get very easily and cheaply in any size you desire.

The nanos use a flash memory chip just as the iPhones and Touches.

Those will be extraordinarily difficult to "swap".

However, if one were to find similarly sized chips with the same pin-outs, why would you assume that Apple's firmware would care about the amount of memory available?

I am certain that Apple simply checks the model of the phone by Model Number. You could very well need to format the flash yourself prior to making it visible by iTunes.

No, upgrading the Mini's CF card was easy. I'm talking about desoldering the existing TSOP flash in a nano and replacing it with higher capacity chips. It is possible, it has been done, but I wouldn't bother. Maybe if somebody's got access to an industrial soldering rig/chip oven it would be doable though.

• 3 weeks later...

check this out!

http://www.iphoneclub.nl/wp-content/upload...e-ad-europe.jpg

the website:

http://www.iphoneclub.nl/1669/t-mobile-dui...vember-te-koop/

it's in dutch, i will do a little translation:

this iphone should have 3G functionality, a 2 MP camera, the price would be 499 € if you take the XL monthly plan

conclusion: all to germany! :(

• 2 weeks later...
However, if one were to find similarly sized chips with the same pin-outs, why would you assume that Apple's firmware would care about the amount of memory available?

I'm by no means an expert on these matters, and I have no interest in defending something I saw in eBay, but the answer to this question seems pretty obvious to me.

The iPod Touch and the iPhone shares pretty much of it's code, and the iPod Touch handles 16GB just fine. If someone used the flash off of an iPod Touch with the software to handle it, it should be doable.

Easy? Nope. But definately doable.

-KJ