OSX86 10.5 Leo [ToH]-RC2 SSE3/SSE2 Intel Only

theSlug

379 posts in this topic

Initial testing quite good. Has accelerated graphics with NVinject, Tharuga's patch for sound. Need to install software to see. Xbench score 147. Booting is a problem even after patching as instructed, has to leave the ToH dvd in the drive. Good work thanks guys.

The FIXBOOT patch is not working either for me. I have to leave the Leo DVD in the drive to boot.

Have you manual installed bootloader . I use uphuck DVD 1.4i to install bootloader & it works great . Try manual install & post error messages . Maybe someone can help you .

Have you manual installed bootloader . I use uphuck DVD 1.4i to install bootloader & it works great . Try manual install & post error messages . Maybe someone can help you .

I also have this version of uphuck. What package on the dvd is that? Is it called boot.plist.pkg. And if so can this package be installed on the installed Leopard system. With other words how did you install your system succussfully?

Great news that someone got a DVD out the door, shame it appears to have so many problems..

I'd like to take this opportunity to beg the developers to find *ANY OTHER* way of patching/updating rather than ppf, as it has caused untold amounts of problems in the past, culminating in the plethora of 10.4.8 disks being distributed "with patches applied". ppf is not a good way to do this.

I'd also like to throw my 5c into the ring and say that with the retail dvd out & available everywhere (as opposed to tiger) would it not be better to abandon the "patched DVD" model altogether, and concentrate on making patchkits that can be applied to the retail image? This could save a massive amount of bandwidth, make for faster development, and people would learn something on the way.

At the moment one 'space' is for windows xp VM running full screen, Browser in a another. Time machine backing up, to my 60gb drive. Also finder(s), system config window in another space. Last one running photo editing. CPU usage below 25%. Marvelous.

If I can fix the booting issue :) Software update is also not working, comes up with a network error, Safari has no problems accessing internet!

Going to try sleep/wake in a moment.

Just installed this on my Dell inspiron 1520 and all went very smooth. Just create partition in vista using command with id=af and stuff. The put the DVD in, booted with platform=X86PC -v -x, installed it, restarted with dvd and used the command to load bootloader. On startup darwin bootloader loads and i used the command platform=X86PC -v and it worked.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 and was wondering if my GeForce 7900GS Go will work out of the box.

Does my Dell 1490 WLAN card work out of the box as with 10.4? Same for my wired part, a Broadcom 440x card.

I've read that the AppleHDA patcher works on Leo? Gonna try that then.

Do you still need to boot with 1 core disabled or can i use both cores in Leo?

Any answers would be nice ;).

Downloading the image now via newsgroups with 2300 KB/sec :).

Great news that someone got a DVD out the door, shame it appears to have so many problems..

I'd like to take this opportunity to beg the developers to find *ANY OTHER* way of patching/updating rather than ppf, as it has caused untold amounts of problems in the past, culminating in the plethora of 10.4.8 disks being distributed "with patches applied". ppf is not a good way to do this.

I'd also like to throw my 5c into the ring and say that with the retail dvd out & available everywhere (as opposed to tiger) would it not be better to abandon the "patched DVD" model altogether, and concentrate on making patchkits that can be applied to the retail image? This could save a massive amount of bandwidth, make for faster development, and people would learn something on the way.

Can't agree no more for your 5c!

My 2c(cheaper) I just noticed Leopard's disk utility is quite different from Tiger, shell script is not a good way to do the post installation patch. I can recall Kalyway (9A527) did repacked everything with tiger's package format and booted with tiger kernel, used tiger installer to perform all the installation and scripting and so on. This could be a temporary better way for Leopard.

@Langerak My dell inspiron 1520 has a 1390 WLAN card and this one works out of the box! I also have a broadcom 440x card but I didn't test it yet.

Ok, thanks, sounds promising :). Too bad for the wired part, mayb a fix will come soon as a lot of users are using this chipset. Stupid Dell, still putting 100MBit LAN's in their notebooks :(.

Any info on the GF7900 and the dualcore? :)

So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was downloading the ToH RC2 of Leopard from The Green D. I was able to get it up and running with minimal hacks. The only thing I had to do was run the fixboot script located at /usr/misc/script.sh on the DVD. The ONLY problem I have now, is getting my Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 working in Leo. This card worked flawlessly in Tiger, so I assume there is (or will be soon) a way to get this working in Leo.

Has anyone have any ideas? This is what the Device Manager from Vista reports on the card:

Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_811A1043&REV_13

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_811A1043

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&CC_0200

Compatible IDs:

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&REV_13

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320

PCI\VEN_11AB&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_11AB&CC_0200

PCI\VEN_11AB

PCI\CC_020000

PCI\CC_0200

Device Instance Path:

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_811A1043&REV_13\4&2E98101C&0&28F0

Here is my experience with this release.

1. Attempted to upgrade by installing to a partition with a working Tiger on it. Kernel Panic!

2. Erased partition and did clean install of Leopard. (No QE/CI, locked at 1024x768, no sound, and shows as Core 2 Solo) other than that it worked.

3. Erased partition, did fresh install using uphuck 1.4i with usual patches for my system, installed Leopard over top. boots to apple logo then white screen and fan goes crazy.

Any advice on getting sound and video working would be greatly appreciated.

My specs:

HP DV9000t

Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz

7600GS

2GB RAM

Not sure of audio, but previously I used Azalia Audio patch in uphuck I believe

The ToH release works better for me than the Brazilmac. The only flaw is that it was not bootable. That was solved by following these useful instructions:

"First, Lets Unmount the disk: In terminal type: diskutil umount diskXsx

- Ok, now lets put the file "boot1h" in the beginning of the partition: In terminal, browse to the i386 folder inside the 9a581-patch folder. Then type this:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1

- Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code: (Place startuptool in your usr/sbin folder, on your Tiger Disk)

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

- And last, lets give the pope's blessing to the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot -verbose

Now, mount and bless the mount:

- diskutil mount diskXsx

- bless -mount /Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_NAME -setBoot -verbose (Volume name is prob Leopard)

The partition is now bootable. The bless command wont give you any confirmation. It will just give you a "args:" line followed by your command."

I did this from terminal on my Tiger disk. To fill in the X and x in diskXsx you need to give the command diskutil list in terminal. That will show device id of all the hard disks including the volume you need to make bootable

Okay it took some effort to figure out but it is worth it. Now I have a running and bootable Leopard :thumbsup_anim:

Works great for GA-965P-DS3. See the writeup in my sig. Also, keep in mind that this installation method is devoid of all the install packages for various kinds of hardware. You will have to install your own kexts until a new DVD release supports automatic installation of things like natit, ALC sound, etc.

I just get a kernel panic on my P5W Dh Deluxe when I try to boot Leo. Even after axecuting that script.sh I'll get that damn grey screen.

Have to wait for the uphuck release then.

. . Hit F8 after the post screen, & boot with: -legacy -f

If this works; go into BIOS/Advanced/CPU . . disable everything except: 'Max CPUID Value Limt' & 'Execute Disable Function'

. . make sure that ACPIv2 is enabled, esp if you've got 4GB of RAM & remapping enabled.

. . you *should* be able to boot normally from then on in.

(edit) . . worked for me after a page-fault kernel panic . . .

The ToH release works better for me than the Brazilmac. The only flaw is that it was not bootable. That was solved by following these useful instructions:

"First, Lets Unmount the disk: In terminal type: diskutil umount diskXsx

- Ok, now lets put the file "boot1h" in the beginning of the partition: In terminal, browse to the i386 folder inside the 9a581-patch folder. Then type this:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1

- Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code: (Place startuptool in your usr/sbin folder, on your Tiger Disk)

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

- And last, lets give the pope's blessing to the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot -verbose

Now, mount and bless the mount:

- diskutil mount /diskXsx

- bless -mount /Volumes/YOUR_VOLUME_NAME -setBoot -verbose (Volume name is prob Leopard)

The partition is now bootable. The bless command wont give you any confirmation. It will just give you a "args:" line followed by your command."

I did this from terminal on my Tiger disk. To fill in the X and x in diskXsx you need to give the command diskutil list in terminal. That will show device id of all the hard disks including the volume you need to make bootable

Okay it took some effort to figure out but it is worth it. Now I have a running and bootable Leopard :P

Great, well done :) , However for a novice like me the instructions are not complete. My questions are;

1. Do you boot in to ToH DVD?

2. Which Tiger disk? Is it an install DVD or hard disk installation.

Thanks in advance.