To install Leopard updates on hackintosh or not?

raggedjagged

24 posts in this topic

So after I installed the BrazilMac's method of Leopard installation, i got into leopard and it notified me that there were 2 software updates (one was for Apple Remote Desktop and the other was an update for LoginWindow), my question is should I update them? Or would that mess up Hackintosh's Leopard?

theyre [not] safe

edit: What the hell. Ok, they arent safe, Im guessing the log in window one. That was weird. I restarted TWICE and it still worked (I was even using the new itunes), the 3rd time I restarted to install a program it asked me to install the updates... which I did and now after the grey apple screen it goes to a light blue screen and stays there (not the regular blue screen, a lighter shade). I dont know what is up with that since I restarted already, it caught me by surprise since in tiger it installed them right away.

It depends.

Normally most application updates are fine. Security updates and system updates are sometimes a problem. Never do either unless someone with a similar system posts they have had success. (unless you really know what you are doing)

One of the current updates messed up airport. Go figure.

Hi, i've applied 2 updates: "Remote Desktop Client" (3.2.1) and "Mise à jour du trousseau et de l’ouverture de session" (1.0) (my system is in French and I don't know what that matches in English but i supposed it's LoginWindow (ouverture de session)).

I've noticed No problem with Leo and all work wonderfully.

I've used the BrazilMac's method too with his last package (31th oct).

When you restarted did it ask you to install the updates after it logged you off to the blue screen? I restarted first to boot into windows and I didnt get that message even though I already downloaded the updates, then I restarted again to install nvinject 1.3, no message, then I restarted a 3rd time to install Steermouse and thats when it finally asked me. After that I get stuck at a really light pale blue screen after the grey apple screen which makes me think its the login window update. I thought the updates installed silently like they do in Tiger, so I figured they were already installed. Hell, maybe it was steermouse that broke it and not the updates but I doubt it.

Marliwahoo: I know it depends, that's why I made this thread ;) To ask people who've gone through with the updates whether it worked for them or caused their systems to crash.

Kartman: Thanks for the reply.

But I'd like someone else who has Leopard on a hackintosh and HAS applied these updates to let me know how the result was, I just want to make sure before I really mess anything up there, the 2 updates indeed were Remote Desktop application (which i assume would be fine to update) and the LoginWindow update (this is the scary one).

Appreciate your input :P

I will try to update it. External HD anyhow so I won't destroy anything. If I don't post within 15 minutes after this post then it has failed ;)

I will try to update it. External HD anyhow so I won't destroy anything. If I don't post within 15 minutes after this post then it has failed :)
raggedjaggedInstall them! Works fine!

i did that and it did not work for me i had kernel panic

gray screen with shut down message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SYSTEM INFO

MOBO : GIGABYTE GA-8I865GME-775-RH

CPU : INTEL P D 3.4GHZ 800MHZ FSB

MEM : 1 GB 2x512

GPU : NVIDIA GF FX5700LE 256MB

CD/DVD DRIVE : SAMSUNG BURNER

PCI : VIA IEEE 1394

HDD : 1 300GB SEAGATE SATA (TIGER XxX 10.4.10 install)

HDD : 1 500GB SEAGATE SATA (LEO INSTALL)

I've applied them both. I started to get keychain problems forgetting passwords for the Mail program. The Login fix cured that. No problems. The install process has changed. It installs the update during the shutdown for a restart, rather than applying them then asking you to restart.

I've applied them both. I started to get keychain problems forgetting passwords for the Mail program. The Login fix cured that. No problems. The install process has changed. It installs the update during the shutdown for a restart, rather than applying them then asking you to restart.

I had only three updates (HP Printers, Remote Desktop and Keychains, and one other one I can't recall offhand; all installed fine, and I have SSE2). The one for HP Printers was actually useful, since I *have* a HP DeskJet 940C (connected via USB). What's more, I've also shared the printer.

Okay I updated the 2 updates and Leopard was working alright.. but only for a few times! I shut down and restarted the computer multiple times and everything went fine..but suddenly one time my Leopard won't not boot properly anymore!! It would get stuck at the bluescreen you see when Leopard is about to startup, and then just crash, giving an error in the textmode interface regarding something related to loginwindow!! However, please keep in mind that this happened after i left my computer and it went to sleep, and when i tried to resume, this happened (and as far as I know my motherboard (GA-P35-DS3R) does not really have a patch for sleep yet, but i didn't think it would cause (the updated) loginwindow to fail!

And I couldn't use Leopard any longer, was forced to do a reinstall. So be careful with this guys!! Seems not very stable.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

i installed remote desktop client auto update 3.2.1 and since then, my darwin bootloader doesnt show.

i can boot in via DVD, but does ANYONE know how to uninstall an update?

i'm googling like mad and can't find anything,,

cant even manually find the files to remove them myself.

is there a method, like xps add remove programs??

please please help,,,i had a perfect iATKOS install until now :(

Hi all,

i installed remote desktop client auto update 3.2.1 and since then, my darwin bootloader doesnt show.

i can boot in via DVD, but does ANYONE know how to uninstall an update?

i'm googling like mad and can't find anything,,

cant even manually find the files to remove them myself.

is there a method, like xps add remove programs??

please please help,,,i had a perfect iATKOS install until now :)

Boot into leopard installer with the iATKOS DVD and restore your computer using the Time Machine backup

Fully up to date, too and awaiting 10.5.2 ^^ : with EFIv8 and GUID partition table

[...] well, since i plugged in my Canon ip 1600 SoftwareUpdate want´s me to get an updated driver package for this printer, counting 263 MB(!!!) which is ridiculous and which i recently ignore :)

• 4 weeks later...

I installed all the available updates. And it still seems to work fine. Never came across the Login Window update, but Remote Desktop Client 3.2.1, Printer drier update and some apps updates and even more a Security Update works fine. (so far)

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the 10.5.2 update on Kalyway's 10.5.1 and it killed my installation to the point where it wouldn't even let me boot from the DVD to repair it (very weird I know). The system would boot to the "You need to restart your computer" message with the powerbutton background.

I ended up having to boot from my Backtrack disk, mkfs the partition and then reformat and reinstall 10.5.1 again.

I installed the 10.5.2 update on Kalyway's 10.5.1 and it killed my installation to the point where it wouldn't even let me boot from the DVD to repair it (very weird I know). The system would boot to the "You need to restart your computer" message with the powerbutton background.

I ended up having to boot from my Backtrack disk, mkfs the partition and then reformat and reinstall 10.5.1 again.

Not very weird as this was a serious issue that was discussed last week. I would do a search on the forum for instructions on how to update to 10.5.2 (which involves manually installing the update).

Even though by installing efi on your machine you are able to perform Software Update, it doesn't mean it's always safe to do so.