Does anybody else think Leopard is buggy?

Pentad

24 posts in this topic

I'm sure this will not make me insanely popular (sorry for the pun) but does anybody else think Leopard is buggy? The more I use it, the more I can't wait for 10.5.1.

Some issues I've found:

-Leopard, Spaces, and Finder don't always play nicely together. Finder seems to get lost sometimes in the plethora that is Spaces. I've had to relaunch Finder a few times to get newly placed files on the desktop to show up.

-Sometimes Spaces gets confused when you move stuff around. Office 2008 is a great example of a program that doesn't quite know what to do with Spaces.

-Spaces has some issues with dialog boxes. I've had a site in Safari put up a dialog box and it put the dialog box on another Space. Strange...

-Firefox crashes a lot for me since I moved to Leopard.

-Adobe CS3....jeez, way to drop the ball Adobe! I sincerely think they woke up on Leopard's release day and said "Huh, Apple released a new OS. Guess we better have a look at it."

Don't get me wrong. Leopard has a slew of other features that I love and its a great OS. No KPs or anything but just a tad rough around some of the edges that should have been solved during beta testing. <COUGH> a public beta might have helped<COUGH>.

FYI: I did a fresh format and install of Leopard on my MBP.

-P

-Sometimes Spaces gets confused when you move stuff around. Office 2008 is a great example of a program that doesn't quite know what to do with Spaces.

I noticed a few weird things when using Word, although I think the problems might be more of Office's fault than Leopard's. It is beta after all...

Haven't had any problems with FF yet, although I can't find a theme I like in Leopard. The default one looks like {censored} with the darker title bar at the top.

Yeah as Rollcage said office 08 is in beta so I can see why things might be buggy there, so far I think Leopard is pretty stable for being a point zero release, I will agree firefox is a little buggy, it seems to start slower in leopard compared to tiger and seems to not be as responsive, as a result of this I switched to the 1.0 flock beta, if I'm not using safari, which is built upon firefox but none the less it starts up hella quicker and is alot snapier than firefox plus the smooth scrolling seems to be better as well. As far as office apps go I currently use the iWork 08 suite and it suits my needs just fine with no problems so far. All in all I think it was a good release atleast being run on my core duo macbook.

I like it so far, however it seems to have issues with the latest versions of Macfuse/NTFS3g driver

My NTFS drive didn't appear on finder at first, then i found an option in folder view to enable "network" drives, so thats problem one solved, but another main problem that really gets to me is how my Macintosh HD is now read only from ntfs :>

I can only read (not copy to Macintosh HD, it shows that No sign, indicating a no no *_* ), write (sometimes it shows long filename errors....a first ), and delete data from the NTFS, just can't copy anything to the Mac Hd

Otherwise yeah leopard is great, i love their new folder view preview pane and mail

I also heard about some issues with darwine... but its expected, its a new os after all

But if this keeps up for a while, i might have to switch back to tiger *_*

There seem to be plenty of bugs in Safari. It hangs a lot, especially if I have a number of pages open. It is odd that Safari is still an unstable beta, even though it is now at version 3.04. Other than that, Leopard itself hasn't been that bad. At least it is surprisingly fast: the last build I used was 9A466, which was slow as sh*t at just about any task. I wish they hadn't made the right-side dock icons (I used to have my Applications folder, etc...) so unusable, though. Who thought that taking all the icons in a folder and combining them into one continuously changing, unreadable clusterf*ck of an image would be a good idea?

definitely its buggy

I'm having some issues with connecting to wifi network...

used to work really well with 10.4.9 but on leopard it keeps disconnecting..

also fails to find networks even with great signal strength..

so i went to official apple discussions and guess what the forum was filled with angry ppl complaining about airport and wifi issues..

apparently they released a keychain update for this issue too but that doesnt work for most ppl

Spaces is my favorite new feature. I don't actually consider it a 'feature' because, 1) i've used it for 1.5 years and 2) I wouldn't know how to use a comp without it.

But apps like Flash and other complex 3rd party apps haven't figured out how to play with it yet. And that's okay. I can live with a few weird "jumping arounds" for a few months until the devs fix the issues. It's nice that they actually care.

I'm sure this will not make me insanely popular (sorry for the pun) but does anybody else think Leopard is buggy? The more I use it, the more I can't wait for 10.5.1.

Bugs in 10.5.0 should be expected and most them should be flushed out by 10.5.1. This is typical of Apple OS X release cycles, 10.4.0 had lots of bugs especially with print drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

Tiger > Windows > Leopard

Tiger was very impressive, bug-less :P , stable, performances...

Since I'm on Leopard, i spend more time on my pc than on my mac ...

1st : Photoshop bugs ( and need a restart ) often !! ( typo size ... )

2 : the UI is HEAVY ... i don't understand why Apple chose to make a Vista-like UI ... too heavy ... too slow ...

3 : JAVA 1.6 DOES NOT EXISTS ON LEOPARD !!!!!!!! ( and i'm a java developper .... )

4 : Ableton Live works better on my 1200 euro PC than on my new 1899 euro MACBOOK PRO!

(instruments are sometimes 4x faster to load !!! )

5 : Native Instruments MASSIVE is a very Powerfull Synth ( to work with ableton live), on my MBP , i can load only 3 Massive instruments without CPU overload ... on my pc , i can up to 10...

... So ... i'm back on windows !

:thumbsup_anim:

-VLC has a redraw problem, the actual image of the movie replaces the UI

-CS3 runs fine, except:

-indesign no longer runs at all, it crashes during startup

-photoshop does some crazy mouse response {censored} when using a logitech mx510 and logitech control centre with modified buttons to reflect PS shortcut keys, the cursor key flies around at random for a split second.

-a new finder window sometimes is capable of being dragged below the menu bar up top, and when it does, the transparency in the bar doesnt reflect the fact that theres a window underneath

-stacks; the whole experience is one massive error

-icon views in finder windows are not always remembered, ie; movie files dont retain their preview icon when you reboot (windows XP did this, and leopard is supposedly ahead of windows?.....uh, no, not entirely)

-the docks blue glow underneath running icons isnt easy to notice (not a bug, but a flaw)