Anyone try Leopard on VMWare?

VoeN

66 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I have successfully made Leopard work natively and in VMWare (workstation 6.0.2 x64 on ubuntu hardy 8.04 beta with kernel 2.6.24 and the vmware-any-any-115a patch).

Procedure:

- Started from leopard-flat-image (which is patched with brazilmac's patches I believe) on a spare harddrive

At this point the OSX startup screen would flash and the pc would reboot over and over

- Patched it with the AMD patches ("Shrinker" found on this board) by manually copying the files over from windows (running in VMWare, but that's irrelevant) using macdrive

At this point OSX would start somewhat, then crash (the powermanagement lockup)

- Removed the powermanagement kext using macdrive

At this point OSX would boot but get stuck because the decrypts weren't there yet

- Added the amd decrypts using macdrive the patching the cpuids by booting into single user mode (-s) and running the patcher. I had to remount the root drive read/write for this to work.

At this point OSX would boot successfully natively

- For better performance I added some kexts after this (SATA/PATA for SB600 found on this board, ...)

- To get it to run under VMWare, I built a new custom VM, set it to FreeBSD 64bit or so, added the spare haddrive as the VM's disk, configured it with ram etc.

Notice that I changed the VM type to "Darwin" in the VM's .vmx file for better performance. Also notice that I can safely use the paravirtualization features (set them to true in my host's BIOS, the gues BIOS and the VM's properties).

Networking in VMWare does *not* work, but the rest of the system does (well, no QE/CI of course).

I have not tried VMWare's virtual SMP yet, but as OSX runs natively on my dual core AMD64, I suspect it will work.

Now if I could only find a way to resize the hfs+ partition. The recommended method using ubuntu didn't work.

Screenshot:

osx86-Leopard-VMWare.png

I have successfully made Leopard work natively and in VMWare (workstation 6.0.2 x64 on ubuntu hardy 8.04 beta with kernel 2.6.24 and the vmware-any-any-115a patch).

Procedure:

- Started from leopard-flat-image (which is patched with brazilmac's patches I believe) on a spare harddrive

At this point the OSX startup screen would flash and the pc would reboot over and over

- Patched it with the AMD patches ("Shrinker" found on this board) by manually copying the files over from windows (running in VMWare, but that's irrelevant) using macdrive

At this point OSX would start somewhat, then crash (the powermanagement lockup)

- Removed the powermanagement kext using macdrive

At this point OSX would boot but get stuck because the decrypts weren't there yet

- Added the amd decrypts using macdrive the patching the cpuids by booting into single user mode (-s) and running the patcher. I had to remount the root drive read/write for this to work.

At this point OSX would boot successfully natively

- For better performance I added some kexts after this (SATA/PATA for SB600 found on this board, ...)

- To get it to run under VMWare, I built a new custom VM, set it to FreeBSD 64bit or so, added the spare haddrive as the VM's disk, configured it with ram etc.

Notice that I changed the VM type to "Darwin" in the VM's .vmx file for better performance. Also notice that I can safely use the paravirtualization features (set them to true in my host's BIOS, the gues BIOS and the VM's properties).

Networking in VMWare does *not* work, but the rest of the system does (well, no QE/CI of course).

I have not tried VMWare's virtual SMP yet, but as OSX runs natively on my dual core AMD64, I suspect it will work.

Now if I could only find a way to resize the hfs+ partition. The recommended method using ubuntu didn't work.

Screenshot:

osx86-Leopard-VMWare.png

Can you help me step by step to install Leopard on Vmware?

It's the first time that I instal OSX...

cesco-viso: just read up on installing leo on this board and follow the steps in my post.

El Maco Taco: yes, I used the flat image method that creates a hfs+ partition on a physical drive. then I added this drive to the vm by selecting "use a physical disk" or alike in vmware.

macgirl: thanks for the hint!

I do not understand how you copied files over from windows into OSX using macdrive because for me VMware makes the vmdk file readonly, thus when I map it to a drive letter it will not write to it?!?

Secondly if you would like to enlarge the HFS+ partition I have found a fairly easy way to do so after much failure.

1) Create a new Virtual Machine in VMware and specify the new size you wish it to be

2) If you have the room you can allocate it, but it is not necessary.

3) Personally I specified that it was another FreeBSD machine and I placed it in a different folder

4) Open your VMX configuration file and add a new line it and make it look just like your original hard drive line ide0.0 except this one will be ide0.1 and there will be 3 lines you will have to copy and paste then modify.

-update-

I forgot to mention to use Disk Utility first and partition the new drive into 1 partition if you want but make sure you do so in GUID or MBR, depending on your current partition. Since mine was MBR I had to set it as such for the new one.

5) Boot back into OSX and somehow get the program SuperDuper! installed in it, or you might be able to use Carbon Copy Cloner, but I use SuperDuper! it is fast and easy. It took my OSX Tiger roughly 15-20 minutes to copy over. Just tell it to do a complete backup, the free version allows this. I think you can set it to boot off of it on reboot, but I do not know that for sure, if it can I forgot to set it.

6) If it cannot be set to boot the new drive on reboot, then the drive has to be set to active which can be done with Gparted by setting a flag on it or Acronis Disk Director.

7) Once the new drive has been set to active you are home free and you can set your new drive as ide0.0 instead of ide0.1.

At least that is how I did it and I went from 10gb to 60gb easily.

Same for me using BrazilMac iso. The VM resets when apple logo appears. I'm using a Intel SSE3 processor (Xeon 3040).

i had that problem. i solved it changing the vmx file guestOs parameter to "winNT" instead of "freeBSD".

hope it helps. tell us your progress :unsure:

glitchbit: just set the vmdk read-write then ;)

does anyone still have the sourcecode of the maxxuss vmware drivers. the links on his site are broken, and the tiger kexts don't seem to work on leopard. I want to try and compile them on leopard.

afaik, the leopard flat image has the brazilmac patches and should work on intel (also in vmware) out of the box. this tutorial adds the support for amd.

Have you tried the Maxxuss AMDpcnet kext yet to fix the networking yet? How is performance in leopard in general? Sluggish, acceptable or even zippy? ;)

Have you tried the Maxxuss AMDpcnet kext yet to fix the networking yet? How is performance in leopard in general? Sluggish, acceptable or even zippy? :P

performance is good overall, but I do have 4GB of ram of which 2GB for the Leopard VM. when I set it to use 1GB or less, it slows down incredibly.

the maxxuss kexts don't work AFAIK, at least not the binary one. I'm still looking for the source to recompile them for leopard.

OK, iATKOS ir2 is currently installing within VMware 6.0.2 (still waiting for it to finish).

FreeBSD x64, removed SCSI VMDK HD replaced with IDE VMDK HD, used GParted to set it up as GUID/GPT.

Only HW in the vmx file currently is Memory (1024 MB), IDE HD, CDROM (using a burned copy, mounted ISO didn't work so well), Display, 1 Processor. So for now I have removed USB, Sound, Ethernet, Floppy. I'll try adding some of those back in if the install actually finishes...

:)

• 5 weeks later...