How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

danskimanuk

danskimanuk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
sorry guys..

I knew the answer. looked in vista and of course the partition was not activated..

do a diskutil list

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New diskXsY diskXsZ if the partitions are called Y and Z !
Remember you are merging PARTITIONS not DISKS!

If it doesn't show another partition if you did a flat image then you need to make it in windows!

Sticman

dDub

dDub

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Finally got around to getting Leopard osx86 and after all sorts of struggle, thank you zuza -- that worked without a hitch!

JollyRogers

JollyRogers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
thank you zuza!!!!!

I just did a Leopard install from ToH and went from PATA 20G drive to a SATA 320G drive using dd in linux. I tried to use "parted" to resize my hfs+ partition, but learned it will only shrink! So I was stuck with a 20G partition on that drive for Leopard. Orginally I just formated the remainder partition for Leopard, but was learning real quick that everything for MAC likes to go into the "applications" folder and in the users folder (ie iTunes, Docs etc)... I was making alias to get through most of this, but it didn;t work like I wanted so I looked into growing my Leopard hfs+ partition and FINALLY found this thread! This worked seemlessly for me and I figured I would have to go back and make the partition bottable, but I didn't. It just worked!

Thanks a LOT! This should defintely be a thread in the genius bar!

JSn1

JSn1

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
I partitioned my Hard Drive with Disk Utility in 10.5.1, I had no troubles and no volume was erased. You can also merge partitions without a trouble.

theSlug

theSlug

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
your opinion: ;)
diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*74.5 Gi	disk0
   1:			   Windows_NTFS -n					  20.0 Gi	disk0s1
   2:				  Apple_HFS LEO					 14.6 Gi	disk0s2
   3:				  Apple_HFS temp					15.4 Gi	disk0s3
   4:			   Windows_NTFS -n STORE				24.5 Gi	disk0s5
/dev/disk2
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*1.9 Gi	 disk2
   1:				 DOS_FAT_32 STICK				   1.9 Gi	 disk2s1

diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" LEO disk0s2 disk0s3
Merging partitions into a new partition
	 Start partition: disk0s2 LEO
	 Finish partition: disk0s3 temp
error writing partition map: MediaKit reports partition (map) too small (-5341)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports partition (map) too small (-5341) on disk disk0s2 LEO.  The erase will not occur.

IRONSLAVE

IRONSLAVE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
The question left un answered here (i am not ready to find out just yet) is where can this partition be? can i merge with a partition that is before the mac partition using the simple steps?

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New disk0s4 disk0s3

EvolutionsPeak

EvolutionsPeak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Zuza's method worked perfectly for me. Thanks! :D

finetuned

finetuned

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Music
I also get this error saying "Mediakit reported the partition (map) is too small". I've tried anything, with and without sudo, all kinds of types for the partition I want to merge to my Leopard partition, nothing seems to work. Does this method only apply to GUID partitioned disks? Mine is MBR partitioned.

FIY: my disk is partitioned as follows:

disk0s1: NTFS (Windows)
disk0s2: Journaled HFS+ (Leopard)
disk0s3: MS DOS FAT (Partition to be merged to leopard)
disk0s5: NTFS (Windows DATA partition)

So I typed: diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s2 disk0s3
I've also tried this by booting from the install DVD and trying it from the terminal there, but no luck.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!

cVaD

cVaD

InsanelyMac Geek

• Coders
  • 225 posts
finetuned

I think, disk0s3: MS DOS FAT must be unformatted. Delete it, create again, but did not format it.

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I'm having trouble with increasing my Leopard partition. Just to make sure I'm not missing anything stupid:
-Created unformatted partition after my leopard partition
-Used DiskUtility to format partition as Extended(Journaled)
-In terminal:
[codebox]bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *111.8 Gi disk0
1: Windows_NTFS 24.3 Gi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS X 14.7 Gi disk0s5
3: Apple_HFS X2 57.8 Gi disk0s6
4: Windows_NTFS Data 15.0 Gi disk0s7

[/codebox]
then
[codebox]bash-3.2# diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s5 disk0s6
Merging partitions into a new partition
Start partition: disk0s5 X
Finish partition: disk0s6 X2
error writing partition map: MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323) on disk disk0s5 X. The erase will not occur.

[/codebox]

Can anyone help figure out what's wrong?
Thanks

markw63

markw63

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Looks like you formatted one in HFS Journalled and the other in HFS or else some other mismatch - eg Case sensitive and not case sensitive. Use Disk Utility to get the exact match for the new partition you are erasing. Can't merge apples and oranges
:unsure:

chrpun

chrpun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi.

i had the following config:
disk0s1: vista recover
disk0s2: vista
disk0s3: hfs+ (leo)

so now i resized the vista partition in order to increase the leo partition:
disk0s1: vista recover
disk0s2: vista
disk0s3: FREE
disk0s4: hfs+ (leo)

now my question is: can i join the free space to the leo partition, even if it is BEFORE leo?? (ironslave has similar problem - still unanswered)

cosgrove

cosgrove

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Followed instructions to a T; however, the new partition it created was an extended partition...I didn't think much of it, my setup was like this, all primary partitions:

begin | windows(45GB) | leopard(25GB) | free space(60GB) | ntfs partition(100GB) | end

Made a new, unformatted partition in vista that occupied the free space, booted to os x, erased it with Journaled HFS+, ran the mergePartition with the 60GB partition as the second argument (was disk0s5) and it somehow erased part of the ntfs partition, leaving 40GB of free space, with the new leopard as 140GB instead of 80GB. Now the setup is this:

begin | windows(45GB) | leopard(140GB) | freespace(40GB) | end

The weird thing is, the 100GB ntfs partition was primary, not extended, so when I made the new partition, why did it have any connection to the ntfs partition? And you can't say that I picked the wrong partition, otherwise I would have 60GB of free space left, or none at all.

I would avoid using vista's disk management to create the new partition from empty space and just use fdisk from the OS X CD if I did this again.

=-Devin-=

=-Devin-=

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Last login: Tue Mar 11 10:48:50 on console
devins-mac-pro:~ Devin$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0
1: Windows_NTFS Windows XP 20.0 Gi disk0s1
2: 79.0 Gi disk0s3
3: Apple_HFS Leopard 50.0 Gi disk0s2
devins-mac-pro:~ Devin$ sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s1 disk0s2
Password:
The chosen disk does not support resizing, do you wish to format instead? (y/N) n
Merge canceled
devins-mac-pro:~ Devin$

"The chosen disk does not support resizing, do you wish to format instead? (y/N)"

Is that normal?

Sorry, my bad. I was looking at the left numbers and not the right side ones.

Sorry.

vectorcell

vectorcell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Can someone please post more specific steps to Zuza's method. i didn't quite understand what he means. Thank a bunch. :)

mad.mac

mad.mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

The question left un answered here (i am not ready to find out just yet) is where can this partition be? can i merge with a partition that is before the mac partition using the simple steps?

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New disk0s4 disk0s3

I tried this but failed. At least, the merged partition is not bootable any more even it is set to be active.

tzurs

tzurs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry to clutter,
can anyone explain in zuza's method, what type of partition to create on the unallocated space following the
15GB partition (shown as Layout: Partition Type:Basic FileSystem: [empty] in the windows XP Disk Management console),
The options when right clicking the unallocated space is to create a "primary" or "extended" partition,
which one should I select?
thanx a million,
--tzurs

unohoo

unohoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
primary

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts
Just for your info. From man diskutil.

mergePartitions [force] format name fromDevice toDevice

Merge two or more partitions on a disk. All data on merged partitions other than the
first will be lost. The first will be erased if it doesn't have a resizable type (e.g.
JHFS+) or if the force argument is given. Format and name apply only when the first par-
tition is being erased. Merged partitions are required to be ordered sequentially on disk
(see diskutil list for the actual on-disk ordering). Ownership of the affected disk is
required.

profl

profl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
this is my problem:

/dev/disk1
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk1
1: Windows_NTFS Music 105.0 Gi disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Leopard 15.0 Gi disk1s2

I installed Leopard on partition2 [~195GB], but here it shows up only 15GB and there's no clue where "disk1s3" or the rest of the partition (~180GB) went
please help me to bring them back.
(without erase my music part, thanks)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy