How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

A Hamster

118 posts in this topic

The question left un answered here (i am not ready to find out just yet) is where can this partition be? can i merge with a partition that is before the mac partition using the simple steps?

diskutil mergePartitions "Journarled HFS+" New disk0s4 disk0s3

I tried this but failed. At least, the merged partition is not bootable any more even it is set to be active.

Sorry to clutter,

can anyone explain in zuza's method, what type of partition to create on the unallocated space following the

15GB partition (shown as Layout: Partition Type:Basic FileSystem: [empty] in the windows XP Disk Management console),

The options when right clicking the unallocated space is to create a "primary" or "extended" partition,

which one should I select?

thanx a million,

--tzurs

Just for your info. From man diskutil.

mergePartitions
[force]
format
name
fromDevice
t
oDevice

Merge two or more partitions on a disk. All data on merged partitions other than the

first will be lost. The first will be erased if it doesn't have a resizable type (e.g.

JHFS+) or if the
force
argument is given.
Format
and
name
apply only when the first par-

tition is being erased. Merged partitions are required to be ordered sequentially on disk

(see
diskutil list
for the actual on-disk ordering). Ownership of the affected disk is

required.

this is my problem:

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk1

1: Windows_NTFS Music 105.0 Gi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Leopard 15.0 Gi disk1s2

I installed Leopard on partition2 [~195GB], but here it shows up only 15GB and there's no clue where "disk1s3" or the rest of the partition (~180GB) went

please help me to bring them back.

(without erase my music part, thanks)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried and I got this:

diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s2 disk0s3
Merging partitions into a new partition
    Start partition: disk0s2 Leopard
    Finish partition: disk0s3 disk0s3
error writing partition map: MediaKit reports partition (map) too small (-5341)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports partition (map) too small (-5341) on disk disk0s2 Leopard.  The erase will not occur.

My partition is realy small only 7GB :censored2:

PLS help.

10x

Is the disk partitioned using "Master Boot Record" or using GUID? I suspect the reason half of use are saying "wow I worked great I am a genius" and the other half are saying "dang it didn't work at all" is that the first half formatted with Master Boot Record and the second half including me used GUID.

I have GUID. One benefit of GUID is its supposed to let you automagically merge partitions. However, in this case with extra space, I try to do it in Disk Utility GUI and it fails.

I took the disk over to an XP box and tweaked the extra space into and unformatted partition. When I brought it back the mac was very unhappy about it and chewed on it for a while before un-doing what I did to it in XP.

Another approach that hasn't been discussed much, if you happen to have enough space disk laying around, is to use Disk Utility to turn the old small disk into a Disk Image, then use Disk Image to restore it to the new bigger disk. Read the instructions in the Restore tab, it all happens there. Or click the New Image button and read this article http://www.macworld.com/article/50355/2006/04/dndimage.html I guess this is happy with the EFI partition, not 110% certain.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...this is my situation

I've installed off of a Samsung IDE drive 200GB....

Disk utility insists the drive's capacity is 128GB..

Gparted recognizes 60GB of unallocated space that I can format...

Should I format it (and to what spec fat32,hfs?) and then try the terminal merge method...????

Don't wanna mess up my current leopard installation.

;) ????

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, it worked on a MBR disk.

I mounted the disk of a Delll GX620 on a Mac Pro, then from Terminal I ran the diskutil command and it concatenated the two partitions.

I installed OSx86 on a 120 GB partition. Windows and GParted shows that the partition is 120 GB. Mac shows that it's about 10 GB. ???????. I can't do the "create a new partition and merge it" thing because it's already taking up all the room and it won't resize. So what do I do?

• 2 weeks later...

I have, well had, two partitions on a GUID formatted drive. One was for OSX (Leopard) and the other for Vista. I also run Vista in Fusion.I was testing Fusion til I felt comfortable enough to erase my Windows drive. For me, using GUID, it was a snap to use Disk Utility. First, I just deleted the Vista partition. That was a snap. Then I just dragged the corner of the OSX partition to the bottom and hit "apply". This resized my OSX partition to cover the entire drive. Bye bye winblows. And no problems since.

anyone know how to make a leopard partition smaller?
If you are using GUID, just do what I mentioned but in reverse

• 4 weeks later...

ZuZu's instructions worked perfectly - great job ! If you search for instructions to increase an NFS+ partition

just about all posts say this cannot be done. So ZuZu showed some cool "out of the box" thinking !

However, since I do not have Vista I used the following steps to accomplish the same results and I added a few other steps (5 below) that you might want to consider.

1) I started with the following partitons on my laptop - 160 gb:

a. Bootit NG (my partition Boot Manager) on the first partition

b. Windows XP Pro (SP3) on the second partition - 40gb

c. Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Kaylway) on the third partition - 22gb

d. The rest was blank.

1) I use Bootit NG to create a 4th partition of 20gb. As a note, Bootit NG cannot create a HFS+ partition but

it can change an NTFS partition to an NFS+ partition.

2) From Leopard I erased the newly created partition and then i did the following in Terminal:

a. sudu -s

b. diskutil list

c. That listed back 4 partitions with the identifiers: disk0s1 through disk0s4. disks03 was my Mac OS X partition and disks04 was the blank HFS+ partion that I created with Bootit NG

3) diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s3 disk0s4

4) The above command took only 10 seconds to complete with no error messages.

5) I did perform a "Verify disk" and then "Repair Permissions" just to ensure that "all was well". The Repair

Permission found many changes.

6) Bingo ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey having some troubles,

I created the partition in vista and accidently formatted it. So i went back and deleted the partition then created a new simple partition without format.

Since then I have been getting this error whenever i tried to verify or repair the disc in Disk Util GUI on leopard

Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000

Also when i try to erase the partition it comes up with failed mediakit is illogic or some such

ty for help to anyone,

Jak

Partitions merged but filesystem messed-up

Hi. My initial setup SATA 149.1GB:

disk0s1 - WINDOWS (NTFS)- 30GB

disk0s2 - FILES(NTFS) - 90GB

disk0s3 - OSX(HFS+) - 20GB

What I did:

• Booted Sabayon Linux(LiveCD). Deleted disk0s2 using Gparted
  • Created 2 unformated Partitions (in Gparted) 71GB and 27GB.
  • After restarting, it failed to boot on my hdd. booted again on linux livecd then set the flag of my osx disk to 'boot' (using gparted)
  • Leopard boots. Run diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s3 disk0s4. no errors were reported. Checked the partition, the changes we'rent reflected so I rebooted
  • This time, HDD boot failed again "Error Loading Operating System"
  • Boot again on Linux Live CD, check partition on gparted, the OSX disk was already set to 'boot', but it recognizes the merged partition as Linux Filesystem
  • Tried booting the Leopard Installer, run Disk Utility. It can see the merged partition but it cannot recognize filesystem. Running verify volume failed. Repair Disk disable.

Can this be fixed? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guess, i successfully repartitioned my windows drive (though it got rid of my hp recovery partition without asking me), and now osx has 80 GB of free space

except i can't get into it, i use easyBCD in vista and when i try and access OSX at boot it simply says "H" and won't load

any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

OSx86:~ marty$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*298.1 Gi   disk0
  1:			   Windows_NTFS Win XP				 100.0 Gi   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS osx					 50.0 Gi	disk0s5
  3:				  Apple_HFS HFS					 120.0 Gi   disk0s6
  4:				 DOS_FAT_32 FAT32				   28.1 Gi	disk0s7
OSx86:~ marty$ sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s5 disk0s6
Password:
Merging partitions into a new partition
 Start partition: disk0s5 osx
 Finish partition: disk0s6 HFS
error writing partition map: MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323) on disk disk0s5 osx.  The erase will not occur.

Both disk0s5 and disk0s6 are erased with HFS+ Journaled. Any ideas on why this error is still coming up for me?

My Disk is MBR.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

my Leo disk0s2 has Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+.

Should I format the disk0s3 to Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+ or just create it with linux livecd and leave unformatted

before merging?

Can I use

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" New disk0s2 disk0s3?

Thanks and regards,

bozon42

PS: What about using resize from linux livecd if the abovementioned does not work?

• 3 weeks later...

i did exactly the same like what zuza posted before, it actually worked but it also merge my other hfs+ partition.

i have 4 partition :

1. disk0s1 of my system

2. disk0s2 is my data

3. disk0s3 is my other stuff

4. disk0s5 is my other partition that i want to merge with disk0s1

when i try to merge disk0s1 and disk0s5, it only took about 10 second. and boom, it succeed to merge my partitions but i lost my other partitions too. now i only have one partition that is disk0s1 using my entire disk. lost all of my data... so sad... :'(

i did exactly the same like what zuza posted before, it actually worked but it also merge my other hfs+ partition.

i have 4 partition :

1. disk0s1 of my system

2. disk0s2 is my data

3. disk0s3 is my other stuff

4. disk0s5 is my other partition that i want to merge with disk0s1

when i try to merge disk0s1 and disk0s5, it only took about 10 second. and boom, it succeed to merge my partitions but i lost my other partitions too. now i only have one partition that is disk0s1 using my entire disk. lost all of my data... so sad... :'(

Actually if you check the diskutil man page the partitions to be merged have to be sequential. In your case the diskutil merged (sequentially) from disk0s1 till disk0s5. The man page states that all partitions, except the first will be formated. So, that's what went wrong.