Bought Mac Pro Case from Uk ebay..

goodl

88 posts in this topic

Thanks Powermac,

I made the shapes from mounting cardboard (from art shops) first and kept adjusting the fit until they were right, then flattened them back flat and cut the stainless steel. The internal fan outlet made use of one of the fan grills left over from the back of my G5 Hackintosh The Apple logo was cut out by drilling lots of small holes that virtually joined up on a pillar drill then using files of finer grades. That took a few lunch times! It would certainly be easier to use aluminium than ss, but I always do it the hard way. I would love it if the mac pro was made of stainless steel, it is so hard. But there might be the small problem of cost and also the fact that you would have put on a truss to move it!!

Thanks Powermac, coming from you that is a real compliment! I should think you have some real stories to tell, 32 years - wow!

Magic.one, Sorry I missed your post above asking about the G5 PS mounting. Yes it was mounted on the bottom of the case. Because the computer was water cooled, there was no nearby heat or space eating heat sink, which left plenty of space on the bottom of the case. It was turned on end with it's 120 mm fan sucking air next to the processor water block and passing it back to directly to the rear case fan.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, not seen that one before!

You will have to relocate the power supply down to the bottom of the case I would think, as the motherboard is going to interfere with the top back area, but that is not a huge problem. Nice to keep the 120 mm fan at the back too. Also good that this is available without buying a whole case then throwing the most expensive part away!!! Site looks interesting, will investigate further.

I used this and Able to fit very large power supply at the Top , and Full ATX MB on Lian li tray with 120 mm fan

Will post pics later

• 2 weeks later...
I used this and Able to fit very large power supply at the Top , and Full ATX MB on Lian li tray with 120 mm fan

Will post pics later

did u ever finish your case mod with tray in it

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I look forward to seeing the pics, that must have been a sqeeze! Did you have to lose a bit of the top internal partition?

Yes I have to cut part of partition under the power supply and used Lian li motherboard tray

I started off reading the G5 mod thread, then I did a bit of research and decided the Mac Pro case was a more attractive mod. From what I have found Mac Pro cases are cheaper and easier to find. Here is a source I found for $199 for a new Mac Pro enclosure.

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Apple-Case-for-...EW-p-35381.html

karaakeha1, I am looking forward to your pics. I personally want to use an Asus P5K3 Deluxe w\WiFi motherboard. Having WiFi and a hardware raid controller on the motherboard is just too tempting. It is a shame that there isn't a micro ATX motherboard that has those features.