Leopard + Vista Dual-boot from a Single Drive?

raggedjagged

20 posts in this topic

So what's the best method of Leopard and Vista dual booting from a same drive? I already have Vista installed, and then I installed Leopard (using the brazilmac's patched DVD, bcase u didn't have Tiger installed) and post-patchd and then installed), but after I post-patched and rebooted, Leopard never started up. :D

The first time I got an error saying "Missing Operating System". After which i popped in the Vista DVD and repaired so I could boot into Vista. Then from Vista i tried to use EasyBCD to add an entry for the Leopard partition, but boot from that entry gave me a "Chain Booting error".

Can someone please help me, thanks! :)

Damn! That's a lot of stuff to lose, so far i havn't managed to mess up my partitions yet, but I really dont see how it can be so difficult when Tiger worked pretty straightforward with Vista dual-booting. Can anyone who has tried it and have had success doing this please give step by step procedures on how to edit the partitions and when? Will greatly appreciate it.

So what's the best method of Leopard and Vista dual booting from a same drive? I already have Vista installed, and then I installed Leopard (using the brazilmac's patched DVD, bcase u didn't have Tiger installed) and post-patchd and then installed), but after I post-patched and rebooted, Leopard never started up. :D

The first time I got an error saying "Missing Operating System". After which i popped in the Vista DVD and repaired so I could boot into Vista. Then from Vista i tried to use EasyBCD to add an entry for the Leopard partition, but boot from that entry gave me a "Chain Booting error".

Can someone please help me, thanks! :)

chain0(or better, the revised tboot) works with Leopard

the easiest way is to install tiger first, then install Leopard over it(dont format the partition, just overwrite)

works for me :)

you may also try to dd/bless to make the Leopard partition bootable if u dont install Tiger first.

the prepatched DVD from demonoid seems to be problematic.

check my sig for more info.

Hmm, the way I used to do it was to:

1. Install Vista

2. Repair vista (booting from DVD and choose repair)

3. Install OS X

By doing that, everything worked perfect!

BUT, my problem is when i installed Vista 64-bit, it won't do the repair thing. It worked on 32Bit, but not on 64bit. Strange huh? Someone know a solution for that?

chain0(or better, the revised tboot) works with Leopard

the easiest way is to install tiger first, then install Leopard over it(dont format the partition, just overwrite)

works for me :(

you may also try to dd/bless to make the Leopard partition bootable if u dont install Tiger first.

the prepatched DVD from demonoid seems to be problematic.

check my sig for more info.

NICE! :P I tried your guide and Leopard installed right away with no hitrches, and i could boot into it fine!

However, how do I add the entry into the Vista bootloader? I am not sure about how to access the "BOOT partition" to put the tboot file there, or how do I add it using EasyBCD, could you please explain that?

Aprt from that, perfect mate, thanks!!

NICE! :D I tried your guide and Leopard installed right away with no hitrches, and i could boot into it fine!

However, how do I add the entry into the Vista bootloader? I am not sure about how to access the "BOOT partition" to put the tboot file there, or how do I add it using EasyBCD, could you please explain that?

Aprt from that, perfect mate, thanks!!

the "boot partition" is the one as shown in your windows, normally c:, not the OSX partition. tboot is an enhanced chain0, support multi disk and allow booting OSX installed on extended partition.

also, guide update on bcdedit part(since not everyone has EasyBCD and it's just a few command)

I'm going crazy. After installing Leopard I only get Missing Operating System. So i boot into the Vista CD and repair using the bootrec commands and then i can boot into vista but still cant boot into osx :). Oh well its late... ill keep playing with it tomorrow ;)

i installed leopard too, and lost xp and linux in first try then vista in second though i manage to install it. i use grub to manage OS's which is same as or if u boot tiger with it. what i did was as i had lost xp, so i just repaired it which got xp back then restore grub, leopard which is installed in tiger partition, so basically grub doesn't need any modification.

This way it worked for me... Leave out steps you've already accomplished....

1. Install Vista64 (Leave at 50 gigs for OS X-purposes)

2. Partition the the 50 gigs like this

20 gig partition for Tiger

20 gig partition for Leopard

10 gig Leopard-Install-partition

Use the following command in Windows-Utility DISKPART (commandline --> Type HELP and you are helped... ;) )

create partition primary size=xxxxx id=af

Replace the xxxxx with the wanted size in megabytes.

Do this for all the three partitions.

3. Boot Install-Disc Tiger (I installed JaS 10.4.9, any other would be fine, I guess)

Use Disk-Utility from menu to format partitions (THE MAC partitions, of course)

Install Tiger and boot into it.

4. Get Leopard Image (not a prepatched one, the original)

5. Get the patcher, do the patch, and don't forget to change the Skripts

6. Mount the patched Image to the 10 gig partition

7. Boot from that partition

8. Install Leopard in ±15 min.

9. Don't boot Leopard, boot Tiger again

10. Do the POST-Patch (don't forget to change the username in the Skript)

11. Boot into Leopard!

12. Use Darwin as a boot-loader (it's really fast and does just it's job...)

That's the way it worked for me...

Here my stats:

C2D 6300@2.6Ghz

Gigabyte P35 S3 Rev. 2.0

Azalia 889a working

Bunch of Discs (all via S-ATA)

The sole problem remaining (for me) is the absence of one of my drives... It's on the same S-ATA-set as the System-Drive. I think there lies the problem...

But I've got to see

I am having the same problem, I was running flawless Vista and 10.4, I desided to try leopard installed and when I reboot it I tried OSX and I got the Chain Booting Error, I run the bootloader fix and my Vista didnt work, I repaired that with the Vista DVD and I got Vista Back. So any easy way to run them on the same hard drive I am a newbee....

I don't know if this will help at all, but here is how I got both Vista and Leopard going from the same drive without Tiger previously installed. I followed the guide on digitmemo.com which he got from brazilmac's guide here, but his was a little simpler to follow. http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/

1. I made the partition for Leopard through Vista, and then booted up with the prepatched dvd.

2. after installing, and then running the post patch, I rebooted back into the leopard dvd and made the vista partition active again. to do that I did

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
	 fdisk: 0>update
	 fdisk:*0> f Y
	 "Partition 2 marked active"
	 fdisk:*0> w
	 Device could not be accessed exclusively.
	 A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]y
	 Writing MBR at offset 0.
	 fdisk: 0> q

Where the Y was my vista partition. I don't know if this is the preferd way to do it, but it did work for me.

3. When I tried to boot into vista I was getting an error, so I instered the vista cd and used the repair feature, and that worked fine.

4. Once back in vista, you need this tboot on the C:\ drive, just drag and drop it in C:\.

5. Then open command prompt as a administrator, right click on it and run as administrator, and type in

bcdedit /create /d "Mac OSX Leopard" /application bootsector

which will give you a {ID}

Then enter

bcdedit /set {ID} device boot	  

bcdedit /set {ID} path \tboot	  

bcdedit /displayorder {ID} /addlast

replaceing the {ID} with the id given before.

6. After that i was able to dual boot Vista and Leopard from the Vista bootloader.

I hope this helps any of you, and if you want more help or am confused by anything, I would suggest digitmemo's guide i put above, it was really helpful.

Cheers

everything went great for me.. im using a triple boot system (vista, leopard and linux debian). They all boot up on Grub and what i did was to use leopard to make my partitions, i made 3 partitions the first and the third one were assigned as free space and the second one as hfs. i then installed vista on the first free space partition and then installed leopard. Finally ive installed debian and had some problems with vista. I repaired it and now anything is running like a clock. Couldnt be happier :wacko: I wouldnt use vista at all if i could but i need that for some uni stuff.. :)

romanosgr you did what I want...

I am a newb, i have now :

1-XP

2-Vista

3-Ubuntu32

4-swap

5-Data

I would like to get rid at least of Xp (perhaps Vista) because it works like a charm with Virtualbox...

I can delete my installations cause my home is in Data and I want to switch to Ubuntu 64...

Here is what I wish to have :

1-Leopard

2-Vista

3-Ubuntu64

et caetera

I assume I can get rid of Xp, and install Leopard on it and then install Ubuntu64 that will install grub to fix the multiboot.

Can I :

use the flat image with dd to overwrite Xp ?

install Ubuntu64 over Ubuntu32

Will it be all right ?

Additionnal questions :

And then how can I switch to French once the flat image is install ?

Would you recommand me to install Leopard with the toh rc2 or the flat image ?

Do you recommand to install the efi patch http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...p;sk=t&sd=a? Then Can I install osx without any patches ?

Thanks for your answers.

Adrimaxi

romanosgr you did what I want...

I am a newb, i have now :

1-XP

2-Vista

3-Ubuntu32

4-swap

5-Data

I would like to get rid at least of Xp (perhaps Vista) because it works like a charm with Virtualbox...

I can delete my installations cause my home is in Data and I want to switch to Ubuntu 64...

Here is what I wish to have :

1-Leopard

2-Vista

3-Ubuntu64

et caetera

I assume I can get rid of Xp, and install Leopard on it and then install Ubuntu64 that will install grub to fix the multiboot.

Can I :

use the flat image with dd to overwrite Xp ?

install Ubuntu64 over Ubuntu32

Will it be all right ?

Additionnal questions :

And then how can I switch to French once the flat image is install ?

Would you recommand me to install Leopard with the toh rc2 or the flat image ?

Do you recommand to install the efi patch http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...p;sk=t&sd=a? Then Can I install osx without any patches ?

Thanks for your answers.

Adrimaxi

I cant clearly understand what u wanna do bud , but if you do all the steps i decribed above you should have absolutely no problem. It makes no sense how did i made it work that way, but hey.. who cares. I'm not really a guru on reinstallations and such so what i did was to format my drive entirely and then use leopard to create 3 partitions. I used the 2nd one for leopard and i left the first and third partitions free. Then i quit the leopard installer and carry on with installing vista on the first partition i made. After that ive installed leopard on the 2nd partition i made earlier and then i used the free space on the 3d partition to make 2 other partitions. One swap and one ext3 root partition for my debian. After that i had my grub up and running but couldnt boot to vista so i did the repair thingo and everything went roses.

ps1: im currently using the toh release and had no probs so far apart that misleading coro solo thing. Im looking forward for a new toh release for amd as im so lazy to get with patching and stuff..

ps2: bout that efi thing.. no idea.

Peace..