Details for osx86 Leopard flat image (install mac os x 10.5 from windows

Chewy954

198 posts in this topic

I got it installed, on my HP Pavilion dv 5000 notebook, on a 40 Gig external hard drive. It booted up very nicely, even had sound. But ethernet jack, and the wireless arent installed.

Looks beautiful though!!!!

any help here?

Ethernet - Intel Pro/100 VE

Wireless - Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABC

How I installed it:

-Deleted the partion of my external

-Put the dd files, the bat file of the disk my external uses, and the image in the system32 folder

-ran disk bat file, i placed in the system32 folder

-restarted

-booted into the external

-run the installer

-reboot again in to the external

-boots up with leopard

-done

• 3 weeks later...

even easier way to install

1. get yourself program called Transmac

2. open Transmac > Tools > Disc/CD/DVD Image > Write image to disk

select the flat img file, then select disk to install image to

after this it will have created you the 15gb partition, now reboot and boot from the partition, everything works

Hi, I used the flat image to install Leopard, but am having trouble with it. This is my first install and I am a noob, but I looked in many forums/posts and didn't see anyone else with the same issue.

After following instructions and restarting the computer, the apple screen flashes for a second and the system restarts automatically [and this becomes a loop]. I pressed F8 at startup, It says:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132
	 2046MB memory
	 VESA v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

USE ↑↓ Keys to select the startup volume.

hd(0,1) Leopard

[Text telling you to either use -v or ?]

boot: _

So I type in -v and get this:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132
	 2046MB memory
	 VESA v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86
	 Loading kernel mach_kernel
	 Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4230240.
	 Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4230240.
	 LoadDrivers: Loading from [/System/Library/Extensions.mkext]
	 Loading HFS+ file: [/System/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 4230240.
	 Loading HFS+ file: [/System/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 4230240.
 Starting Darwin/x86

and immediately restarts.

I switch to XP, and look in compmgmt.msc and I see that the Hard disk I installed Leopard onto has No Volume [i.e No drive letter] File System is Blank, and is split into two partitions: 15GB and 264.47 GB.

I'm stumped. I can't think of what to do next, If anyone has any advice or has run into this, please help me out. If you want more info like systems specs and so on I can post that for you.

I need someone to clarify something for me, i got an exteranl 250gb drive which is disk 3. I go under computer management and I see my 250gb, I then click

on it and select delete. Now its say unallocated space... I then go under Comand Prompt and time diskpart then list disk ... it shows me disk3 ( external )

then i type select disk3 and then type... type create partition primary size=15360 id=af ... it makes a partiton on my disk and the rest is unallocated.

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition1 bs=5M --progress

thats what I get when I open the .bat file ... i then save it and run it... comand prompt opens for a sec then nothing else happens.

I really need some help... I been at this for almost 3 days straight and I havent had any help. :D

post-112337-1202186983_thumb.jpg

@Finest:

After you clear the target disc, do not create any partition here, just run the appropriate .bat file from Windows. This makes for you the bootable 15 GB Leopard partition. If you need more space for Leo, there is simple way to extend the partition via unformated second partition (created from Windows and then erased from Leo´s disk utility) and applying the command „diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk3s1 disk3s2“ in terminal. Then boot back to Windows and set the resized partition on Leo disk as

active :(

after this it will have created you the 15gb partition, now reboot and boot from the partition, everything works

I find dd easier.. and safer.. plus free..!! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain it ????

Thx

Hello,

I have an Asus Commando MB with 2 SATA Internal RAID 1 disks and an external USB disk. Nvidia 8800GTS graphics. I wanted to install LEO to and be able to boot from the USB disk by selecting the boot device at system startup. Kalyway didn't work for me - even though the DVD loaded the disk manager could not partition the USB disk, I always got I/O error. So I tried the flat image install method.

It worked GREAT! Everything works except for sound (Creative X-FI, expected). Got on-board NIC to work with an easy fix. However, I do have some questions. . . .

1) I tried resizing the partition with the method suggested earlier in this thread. It worked, I got the full 80GB partition, but it made the USB drive non-bootable. I had to re-install everything. Is there any way to resize the partition and maintain the ability to boot from the disk?

2) The system time is messed up. There is about a 5 hour difference in the clock from when I'm in LEO and when I return to Windows. LEO makes Windows time wrong and vice versa. Both OS are set to the correct time zone. What causes this and how to correct it?

3) What updates are safe to install in this environment? Can I download 10.5.2 from the system update utility and install it that way? What about the other updates (iTunes, Quicktime, etc.)

4) My Creative Labs X-FI does not work. I was looking at a Griffin iMic. Will this function as a sound card in LEO, or is it just a mic input device? It is a USB device.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this install method - it's great to have the best of both worlds.

LMK if anyone needs the info on the on-board Ethernet fix.

Cheers,

NM

Hello NoMax!

1) Confirmed. If you resize partition size, the resized partition will be non-active. Use e.g. Acronis or Linux live distro with partition tool to set the resized partition active.

2) Confirmed but I have no solution.

3) I update to 10.5.2 (repack combo from Kaly, doesn´t contain the new kernel). I do not install the new kernel (provided by Kaly too but as separate package). Then I update via system update the graphic drivers. Works OK

• 3 months later...
Hi guys

I just installed the flat image, but when I select Leo with Acronis OS selector it appears a screen with the mac logo and the little progress circle, but after that the screen goes black and nothing happens, I leaved it about 2 hours in the black screen and it didn't do anything.

When i typed F8 and entered the -v command it gaved me an error saying that firewire wasn´t able to find secure mode and that it was going to full mode, then it went to the black screen again and nothing happened.

What should I do :S help pls!

I have this exact same problem, can anyone help?

Laptop:

2GB Ram

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 1.87 GHz

INTEL 945GM Graphics

Realtek sound

Intel Pro/Set Wireless

Note: while typing this i restarted my pc and tried to boot into leopard again and this time I got a BLUE screen :S

Help, please

• 2 weeks later...

binary laden and mike, try -s or -x .....that should work

my problem is that i copied everything to m external harddrive ...then i booted it up and it says darwin bootloader blah blh blah.... while saying this tht "cd" thing spinns around....then when it seems to be finished my whole pc reboots and the same {censored} happents again and again.... so what could be my fault?

• 2 weeks later...

Vista installation. To get past the 'dd' error when trying the write the image to disk I had to turn off user account control, grant the full control permissiong and run the bat file as administrator. It refused to work with UAC turned on.

Hi, I'm trying to install this Leopard Flat Image onto a second HDD, but when I go to run the batch file, I get an error. I've tried running as administrator, running from C:/windows/system 32 and even out of command prompt, but still it wont work...

The attached pic shows what I always get when I try. Thanks in Advance,

post-241684-1215407651_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I use linux... and dont know how to do this:

Then open up the write leopard-x86-flat-img to [drive number here] folder and copy write leopard-x86-flat-img to [drive number here]

and paste it into the folder with the .img file. As you can see in the image, the separate hard drive I want to install leopard to is called disk1, so you will need to check and copy the correct one for your drive.

Then just execute the bat file you just copied and wait. Then when its done, just reboot and press F12 or whatever you do to boot into the leopard hard drive.

sorry if this is double post... im new to mac !

I installed Vista just to make easyer :) for installing Leopard.

Can someone explain us noobs, step by step how to made leopard to boot install when we restart ours comp's?

We know's: Extract leopard-x86.rar to desktop in folder name it Leopard!

Then we get on desktop folder leopard and inside a file named leopard-x86-flat-img.

We have one hdd, and on that hdd only installed Vista on C: right...

So we copy write leopard-x86-flat-img to disk0 ; dd.exe ; dd --list into leopard folder on our Desktop.

And we all stuck here... PLEASE HELP GOOD PEOPLE!

I installed Vista just to make easyer :) for installing Leopard.

Can someone explain us noobs, step by step how to made leopard to boot install when we restart ours comp's?

We know's: Extract leopard-x86.rar to desktop in folder name it Leopard!

Then we get on desktop folder leopard and inside a file named leopard-x86-flat-img.

We have one hdd, and on that hdd only installed Vista on C: right...

So we copy write leopard-x86-flat-img to disk0 ; dd.exe ; dd --list into leopard folder on our Desktop.

And we all stuck here... PLEASE HELP GOOD PEOPLE!

You need two disc: One with the source files, second as target empty disc to expand the img file. You cannot copy from disk0 to the same location. Try to boot e.g. from connected USB drive with (Windows) system and the folder with osx image, dd.exe and bat files.

• 11 months later...
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

When I try to execute the .bat file, I get an error saying Error writing file: 5 Access is denied

I tried to run the .bat as administrator, but that did not work.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

im having the same issue, help? how do i get past this?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am confused with the instructions to this install, and have gotten errors which also confuse me. Here is what I have done:

I downloaded the Flat install package from Demonoid, I then extracted the rar. file to my desktop and placed the "dd.exe", "dd --list.bat", "leopard-x86-flat-img.img" and "write leopard-x86-flat-img to disk1.bat" files in the folder on my desktop.

The Hard drive I am planning on installing to is a 500gb drive with no partitions labelled Disk1.

Then when I run the "write leopard-x86-flat-img to disk1.bat" I get a error message reading:

C:\Users\Kjell's Friend\Desktop\leopard>dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of \\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=5m --progress

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.

Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>

This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details

Error opening input file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified

C:\Users\Kjell's Friend\Desktop\leopard>pause

Press any key to continue . . .

If anyone could provide the answer to why this isn't working I would be truly greatfull!

Thanks

Kjell