Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just did a restore from my laptop to my desktop and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of this:

picture3kb1.png

. . . you should be able to go to System Preferences/Network then highlight Airport then untick 'show status in menu bar'

Failing that, the item is /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/airport.menu . . I don't know the 'proper' way to disable this should you not be able to get at Airport's preferences; but suggest you might try renaming to airport.menu.old & a restart

For anyone running P5W DH Deluxe with a Core 2 Quad, does the CPU name appear for you in About this Mac? It doesn't for me but I'd like it to.

Hello here´s gary,

I´m running a P5W DH Deluxe wit Intel Q6600 Quad and sapphire x1950 XT Brazilmac_pc_efi_v8, guid partion, postpatch.

Everything seems to work fine, but "About this Mac" shows unknown CPU.

Maybe we can fix it soon,

Greetings!

Gary

. . . you should be able to go to System Preferences/Network then highlight Airport then untick 'show status in menu bar'

Failing that, the item is /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/airport.menu . . I don't know the 'proper' way to disable this should you not be able to get at Airport's preferences; but suggest you might try renaming to airport.menu.old & a restart

I just went ahead and reinstalled Leopard. Everything is working perfect again! Thanks for your fast reply!

Excellent work Brazlimac, thanks for all the effort! Here goes the "I didn't want to wait for iAtkos anymore"-guide.

You're able to see my set-up in my signature. I didn't get 10.5 working with the BrazilMac DVD, but it was part of my personal success.

1. I've got 2 harddisks, number 1 is set-up with Uphuck's great 10.4.9 r1.3i, I use that one to go for Leopard on my second harddisk.

2. Fire up disk-utility and set-up 1 partition on the Leopard harddisk, so you get GUID capabilities (remember to click on the harddisk itself and not on a partition in it, otherwise the partitioning commands do not show up).

3. After creating the partition called Leopard, I erased it as a Mac Journaled scheme just to be sure of a clean system. :D

4. I used Kalyway's method of preparing the partition for booting. I must mention that before I used this, I also tried to make it bootable by manual commands as shown in BrazilMac's method. Not sure if those actions remained after my erasing the harddisk..

5. On with the EFI 8.0 pack, modifying and running the EFI.sh as root. Making sure that no errors show up during the installation.

6. Rebooting and installing Leopard by use of the ToH DVD package (this kernel actually works, while Brazilmac's didn't on my set-up).

7. Rebooting and starting-up Tiger again, this time using BrazilMac's PostPatch process. I did it manually however, because I didn't want my ToH kernel to be replaced ofcourse. I also had some problems with the script not being able to find some kexts or something, so doing it manually assured me of a good process.

8. Don't forget to set the right permissions to the Extensions (755) and to the ToH kernel (644) and making them root:wheel.

9. Reboot, make the second harddisk the Master (Bios) and press F8 during startup. Use -v to boot verbose mode into Leopard. This worked for me the first time, not doing verbose crashed it for some reason.

10. Install the NatitX1600.r1v3 drivers for Ati cards. This script also gave me an error, I suspected it to be a failure to the ability of the script giving the kexts the right permissions. Just give the entire extensions directory the 755 permission again and chown it root:wheel.

11. Rebooting now, gave me crashes (code 0x00000002 or something similar). So, found on this great forum to use -legacy after pressing F8. That worked again and everything from my card to the monitor is recognised, full QE etc. Strangely, I didn't have to use the -legacy after that. But if needed, you can always put it into the boot.plist file.

Now to get networking working, I transfered all my setting and apps from 10.4 to 10.5 during the install process. And my USBWirelessUtility is starting up, recognizing my WUSB54GC Linksys stick and connecting, but I can't get onto the Internet. Only Firewire is set on my network settings and the network assistance utility crashes. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for all the usefull guides on here!

Cheerz, Vincent

Ah, there we go. Although the diagnostics apps is still crashing, I got it to work by checking all the connections. It appeared that the connection for my USB stick was EN2, which didn't show up on the connections list. I could manually add it though (simply by pressing the + sign). So that works too! I think I've got a fully working rig, just amazing how far one can go by thinking a bit for him/herself and daring to try stuff like mixing up different hacks. I may call myself a little tweaker I guess. :D

Okay. So, I've got EFI 8 etc. but when I upgraded to 10.5.1, I wasn't able to log in as single mode user, because the system reboots immediately. Being, the kernel crashing probably, because replacing the kernel with the ToH one and BrazilMac's kexts, made it bootable again. Now, the about-mac says 10.5.1, but I don't think it is really...am I doing something wrong? The vanilla kernel should work right? I've got a C2D E6600.

Edit: Just to let you guys know, I solved this part as well. I thought this topic would be more active!? Anyway, by changing some options in the Bios (see below) the system now boots up all the other kernels as well. So, I reformatted the install and did it all over again, and presto...I'm now able to make my system working like crazy with a 10.5.1 Vanilla upgrade, within 30 mins. This is absolutely excellent stuff. Btw: I now just used the Brazilmac patched DVD, no ToH kernels necessary anymore.

Bios changes:

- Execute disable function -> enabled

- Max CPUID -> enabled

- HPet -> enabled

- Memory remap feature -> enabled

- Microcode update -> enabled

- Acpi 2 support -> Yes

- Acpi -> Enabled

Some of these options give the Bios support for 64-bit stuff. So, I can imagine them having some effect. :wacko: Hopefully Apple isn't going to ban things like this, they've got a new customer now for sure. I upgraded my system with the Apple Keyboard and mouse and am going to use .Mac together with my Mac at work and ofcourse I bought the official Leopard DVD now.

"Who needs iUphuck... "

Thanks Everyone! Especially my fellow p5w users that answered all of my questions in personal message or irc.

My specs:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

core2duo 6300

2 gigs of supertalent ram

7300 xfx gs nvidia running dual lcds (19")

500 watt power supply

3 sata drive internal

1 dvdrw drive ata

I used my tiger drive as the home base to get most of my work done on my leo drives.

1. Disk Utility to format drive GUID and make TWO partitions

------a. then I named the drives Leopard_1 and Leopard_2

2. installed efi v_7_guid_only on both drives

3. installed Brazilmac patched DVD

------a. then rebooted into tiger and ran the I_am_me post patch http://tinyurl.com/25lpvp

4. Booted into Leopard_1 with successful Brazil install

------a. mounted the vanilla Leo installer DMG I used to make my Brazilmac DVD.

------b. then opened terminal in sudo -s (don't know if this necessary) and typed

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

open osinstall.mpkg (enter) as per http://tinyurl.com/2sn8xg

5. Deleted appleintelpowermanagement.kext and efiruntime.kext

6. Added

• Sound=ACLInject.kext and AppleHDA.kext
  • Keyboard/Mouse=ApplePS2Controller.kext ACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • DVD ATA=AppleVIAATA.kext
  • Graphics=NVInject.kext
  • Others=AppleACIPlatform.kext dsmos.kext

7. Hit f8 after bios and selected my Leopard_2 in the Darwin bootloader and entered -s (this is single user mode) then <enter>

-----a. I then enter "/sbin/mount -uw /" <enter> this will make my Leopard_2 writeable for permission repair

-----b. I then enter "chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

<enter> To repair all of my extensions' permissions.

-----c. exit and watch the vanilla leo start up!

-----d. Download 10.5.1 update only, not download and install, you select under Update "download only". This is good for saving the file for when your ready to install and to prevent things from going wrong on the download.

-----------then just install the update.

-----------repeat the permissions repair step and watch your 10.5.1 vanilla mac start up.

8. Use your computer to do things and stuff.tongue.gif

Hello everybody,

First of all, thanks to all the creative minds on this thread... it has been really helpful. I need advice on a problem...

here's my info:

-P5W DH

-Bios v. 2406

-Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz)

-4x1GB Ram (all ram has been tested and is working properly)

-3 SATA Hard-drives

-2 IDE Hard Drives

-1 IDE DVD Burner

-Nvidia 7300GT

-Leopard installed via Brazilmac patches

here's my problem:

-I can only get leopard to boot 2 ways:

-1: with 3.2 gb of ram (memory remap disabled) and CPU running at 2.66ghz

-2: 4 gb of ram (memory remap enabled) and CPU running at 2.12ghz (I have to enable Hyper Path 3)

I cannot get leopard to boot with 4gb of ram (memory remap enabled) and 2.66ghz CPU (hyper path 3 disabled). Every time I disable Hyper Path 3 or set it to auto, when I'm loading leopard (at the Apple Logo screen), I get the RAM problem/Kernel panic screen where it says I must reboot my computer. The other problem is that when I enable Hyper Path 3, the computer does not instantly reboot to BIOS screen after restart/shutdown. Instead, I have to reboot once (the computer comes on but the screen does not come on), and then reboot again, and only then do I get a normal reboot with the BIOS boot screen.

So I can get leopard to boot and run, but I want to have my full 4gb of RAM and my full CPU power of 2.66ghz and not have to double-reboot the computer every time I need to turn it off or restart. Does anyone have any advice on BIOS settings to fix this?

Problem #2:

Every time I run windows via parallels or VMware fusion, I eventually get the same RAM problem/Kernel panic screen that says I have to restart my computer. Is this a bios problem or a kernel problem?

thanks for your help,

wenmiester

Hi G5Rocks, hi guys :)

I am joining this thread pretty late because I have just now decided to build my own Leo system and gone the ASUS P5W DH way, because of good relations and support of the local ASUS dealer.

Starting my quest I have visited the official ASUS page for this mobo and find out that they are - sort of – suggesting the ATI CrossFire technology for this board, while all I could find about the graphics card selection in this forum points out to nVidia 7300 GT card. At this point I would like to ask this question: is this definite solution for OSX 10.5 Leo to install and run proprely? Is this a well documented issue? If is, please tell me so to clear my mind from this question and start looking for other components, since the graphics card issue is solved with it.

Now, if it is, can anyone check the specification of this card that I found in ASUS offering, the model EN7300TC512/TD/128M, at this site:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&amp...amp;modelmenu=1

I wonder why they name it 7300TC instead of 7300GT. I could not find any card with 7300GT in their offering. Also, I am a little confused with the spec of this card: does it have 512 MB onboard RAM or just 128 MB? :wacko:

Finally, 90% of the graphics cards offered by ASUS are based on the 8000 series of nVidia chips, which is reasonable since it is the latest technology from them. So, why are they avoided as preferable choice? Are they avoided because of some driver issue or simply because they are too expensive at this moment? I red somewhere that Microsoft is not recommending the latest graphic cards from nVidia for VISTA as their drivers were not good for VISTA. Is this true for OSX as well?

The purpose of this machine will be to run Logic Audio and produce music. So, not being a gamer, but a recording musician, tells you that my expectations of the graphics are not very big. I need a machine with all the power I can get, but not much focused on the graphics, just want a card that will produce no trouble during the operation.

So, what is your opinion on the EN7300CT512 from ASUS? :P

Hello everybody,

First of all, thanks to all the creative minds on this thread... it has been really helpful. I need advice on a problem...

here's my info:

-P5W DH

-Bios v. 2406

-Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz)

-4x1GB Ram (all ram has been tested and is working properly)

-3 SATA Hard-drives

-2 IDE Hard Drives

-1 IDE DVD Burner

-Nvidia 7300GT

-Leopard installed via Brazilmac patches

here's my problem:

-I can only get leopard to boot 2 ways:

-1: with 3.2 gb of ram (memory remap disabled) and CPU running at 2.66ghz

-2: 4 gb of ram (memory remap enabled) and CPU running at 2.12ghz (I have to enable Hyper Path 3)

I cannot get leopard to boot with 4gb of ram (memory remap enabled) and 2.66ghz CPU (hyper path 3 disabled). Every time I disable Hyper Path 3 or set it to auto, when I'm loading leopard (at the Apple Logo screen), I get the RAM problem/Kernel panic screen where it says I must reboot my computer. The other problem is that when I enable Hyper Path 3, the computer does not instantly reboot to BIOS screen after restart/shutdown. Instead, I have to reboot once (the computer comes on but the screen does not come on), and then reboot again, and only then do I get a normal reboot with the BIOS boot screen.

So I can get leopard to boot and run, but I want to have my full 4gb of RAM and my full CPU power of 2.66ghz and not have to double-reboot the computer every time I need to turn it off or restart. Does anyone have any advice on BIOS settings to fix this?

Problem #2:

Every time I run windows via parallels or VMware fusion, I eventually get the same RAM problem/Kernel panic screen that says I have to restart my computer. Is this a bios problem or a kernel problem?

thanks for your help,

wenmiester

. . Hyperpath3 should be disabled, along with the other Asus auto-clocking stuff, & CPU/RAM settings done manually.

Are you using non-JEDEC-standard RAM requiring more than 1.8v @ 333Mhz (ie '667 double-pumped') & @ 1:1 to the CPU?

Hello here´s gary,

I´m running a P5W DH Deluxe wit Intel Q6600 Quad and sapphire x1950 XT Brazilmac_pc_efi_v8, guid partion, postpatch.

Everything seems to work fine, but "About this Mac" shows unknown CPU.

Maybe we can fix it soon,

Greetings!

Gary

I have the Q6600, but when I hit about this mac, it says 3.8Ghz unknown. I also have menumeters running with 4 cores showing. I think it looks awesome that it seems I have four 3.8 Ghz cores running :)

Yeah, my Core 2 Quad Q6600 says unknown @ 2.4, and 4 cores recognized. do you have yours overclocked? maybe there just is no official mac that uses a core 2 quad (they used quad xeon) so they don't have a protocol for recognizing the C2Q. Hopefully we're not getting jipped out of performance, Apple!

My specs

- P5W-DH deluxe /w 6 GB RAM

- Core2Duo E6600

- 2x 7600GT

- 3x SATA HDD

- IDE DVD burner SATA DVD Burner

- 3 Monitors

- internal sound

HD0: Windows XP / Vista :) (only needed for my job ...)

HD1: Leopard 10.5.1 (PC EFI V8 /w vanilla kernel) / Gentoo Linux

HD2: Tiger 10.4.10 / Leopard 10.5.0 / OS backup partitions

Tiger(based on Jas 10.4.8 with other had only problems)

- is rock solid with all my applications working

Leopard (own a family license and installed this way [guide] Patcher for Leopard, updated 5/11//07 )

There are some glitches I have to work on:

- IDE DVD burner not always working

- SATA DVD Burner much faster with Toast 7 (Toast 8 not working as good as 7)

but say "unrecognized bus"

- only 1 internal ethernet found vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext everything fine

- VMWare Fusion doesn't see / can't use network anymore

- network sometimes really really slow (iTunes radio for example ...)

- files / folders left in trash bin can't be removed (was my fault :P )

Many many thanks for all that great work / hints & tips !!

My Q6600 isn't overclocked. I wonder why mine is being found as 3.8 Ghz... I am using the 2406 BIOS. I don't think we're getting jipped on speed because I just replaced a pentium D 930 system and this is running much, much smoother, and most applications that I am running so far are only using one core at a time.

Ok,

I have a realy weard problem. I can't get my network card to work and also not my wirless card. Are there any extra kext I need to install for my lan and wireless?

P5W DH Deluxe

E6750

Raptor 74Gb

Hitachi 160Gb SataII 16MB

X1950 PRO

2Gb Kingston HyperX

My network keeps saying that he is not connected. Also my wireless works for 5 seconds, than disconnects and never connect again until I reboot. Than the same problem. Please help!

Using the kalyway install DVD (10.5.1)

My system setup:

• ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (Firmware 2046)
  • Quad-Core CPU 6600 @2.4 GHz (in BIOS running at 266 * 9)
  • 2 x GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 2048MB PC800 CL4 (overall 4 GB of memory running at 677, will also run at 800)
  • EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3
  • 2 x 500GB Samsung HD501LJ S-ATA - AHCI enabled
  • U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg PCI Adapter (for 100% Airport compatibility)
  • Pioneer DVD±RW, DVR-212, 18x
  • 500 GB External USB 2.0 Drive for Backups

I made an installation USB-Stick (with EFI 8.0) out of the original Mac OS X 10.5.0 DVD, where I removed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and added dsmos.kext and natit.kext

Then dedicated one of my harddives to Leopard only, making a GUID partiton and installing EFI 8.0. After installing Leopard I activated the Sound. Everything works just fine, except of two tings:

• I have to patch the IONetworkingFamily.kext in order to manage Time Machine to work (tried everything, from repartitioning and letting Time Machine doing the partitionung. Without patching I always get the error: Drive not found). The Plist-Patching (I doubt I need to do this at all, because Airport just works "out of the box" and I don't get the "UUID 35" Errors) does not work for me.
  • The other problem I've got is that my second harddrive (running VISTA) is beeing recognized every once in a while. I already changed the position of the drives (MASTER/SLAVE) and exchanged the S-ATA cables. If the drive is not recognized, I have the problem that the Installer will just wait and wait and wait... And also Disk Utility will not come to rest.

So far, Leopard is rock solid, didn't have ANY Kernel Panics, my whole peripheral equipment (which worked on my intel iMac before) works just fine (card-reader, scanner, iPhone, printer, midi-box, digital camera, several FireWire drives and cable network). If I just could force Leopard to recognize my second hard drive everytime, I'd be happy.

@wenmiester: I used to have your first problem (system would just hang at the BIOS-picture and react only after reset, would take loong time for recognizing all the drives and finally boot). Then I manually set the CPU to 266 * 9 and the Memory to 677. Now the startup-fault is gone for me.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for providing an excellent resource for this mobo. My details are in my sig. But I do have some questions for the experts here....

1. After installing EFI_v80 via BrazilMac patched method, took the 10.5.1 update from Apple, everything seemed okay except that my USB devices weren't detected unless they were inserted during boot time. I fixed this via the irc.osx86.hu forum by replacing mach_kernel (Darwin 9.0.0) with the one from the irc (Darwin 9.1.0). My question is, will I be able to download 10.5.2 when it comes out and not have things break?
  2. Sleep is not working for me. I'm not sure if it is due to the 9.1.0 kernel or if this is just a BIOS setting. If anyone has sleep working, can you let me know what your BIOS settings are through this forum or through a PM?
  3. Parallels 3 is not working for me. As soon as I launch, I receive a message that the application cannot be launched and I either have to ignore, re-launch, etc. Could this also be BIOS related?
  4. Realtek wirless 8187 - I'm guessing there is no fix for this since Realtek does not have a 10.5 driver....anyone get on-board wireless to work via WPA with AES encryption without broadcasting the SSID?

Thanks everyone....you guys/girls have been great! Happy New Year.

Cheers.