Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Did the install.. However what I noticed is that none of the onboard ports work for the keyboard or mouse. The installer installed, got to the screen for the server. But the mouse pointer won't move. For the heck of it, I found a USB mouse, and what do you know, the mouse works. Keyboard does not as I don't have a USB keyboard. Is there anything else I can do / install to get PS2 support? I tried the APCIPS2 selection and the Mininub PS2 selection. The PS2 and keyboard work fine during the install DVD bootup, just they don't work after the computer reboots and you finish the installation. Any easy fixes for this?

have you bin to the genius bar yet?

[How To] Solutions for Keyboards, Trackpads & Mice, A Compilation

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35972

tryed ApplePS2Controller.kext might be the thing for you

Enhanced Apple PS/2 driver - find it here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=21952

Hacked Apple PS/2 driver - find it here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=1573

How to install:

1. download Attached File ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip ( 327.63K ) Number of downloads: 7012

2. unzip

3. copy it to /System/Library/Extensions (something like "cp -R ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/" in terminal)

4. modify owner (something like "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext" in terminal)

before entering commands in terminal, switch to superuser mode ("su", press enter and enter password)

Reboot, unplug USB keyboard and enjoy (if you can).

you could also use kexthelper B7 saves time nice little program you just put in your kext files enterpasword and it does the rest :D

Yes this is a bios setting as well you nead to set the memory controler to 64 Bit or your 4 GB will not work

it could even crash the system. go to the bios and set memory remap enabled. do to limitatios of 32 bit only a max off 3 GB can be seen.

64 bit does not have that problem.

on page 6 of this threat http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8453&st=100 you see the bios pages.

in page one there is ide config. select it and set to ich mode. WATCH OUT!<--- isn't compatible with XP unless you happen to install while in this mode...

Thanks for the memory controller hint. That was the only setting I miss in the bios. Could someone please direct me to some information about how to install the Natit_edited kext.

Thanks

I've read countless guides and forum threads about setting up a dual boot system with Leopard and XP Pro and have not had any success getting Leopard to boot after the install. I feel like I've tried everything so I'm here to ask for help...

I initially tried a single drive partitioned with both XP and Leopard - no luck. Somehow the XP partition kept getting corrupted during the Leopard install and I'd end up with a system that wouldn't boot anything. So I gave up on a single drive, dual boot system.

I tried two separate drives, one XP and one Leopard and I still can't boot Leopard even though I have been successful creating the 'chain0' patch. I end up with the flashing cursor in the upper left corner.

I have been able to install Leopard by itself using the Lifehacker article BIOS settings which specify AHCI. But XP doesn't like AHCI so I've been working on the dual boot system with the BIOS set to 'Standard IDE' and 'SATA'. I can install Leopard no problem but I can never boot into it after that. I've tried both MBR and GUID but I guess it doesn't like the 'Standard IDE' settings in the BIOS. Even with the Leopard hard drive plugged into the SATA1 port and the XP hard drive not connected to the mobo at all, I still can't boot into Leopard.

So to recap: I can separately install either XP or Leopard on this machine and both work just fine. It's when I try to have both installed at the same time is where I run into problems.

Here are my questions:

1. What are the BIOS settings for an XP/Kalyway 10.5.1 install that doesn't use AHCI?

2. When setting up a dual boot system, does the Leopard drive need to be MBR or can it be GUID?

3. My hard drives always show up as 'Third Master' and 'Fourth Slave'. How do I get one to show up as the 'Primary Master'?

Kalyway 10.5.1 and GParted Live CD

Asus P5W DH Deluxe with BIOS 2602

Intel E6550 Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz

4gb RAM

XFX Geforce 7600GT

Seagate 500gb SATA for Leopard

Western Digital 320gb SATA for XP

Apple USB Keyboard

Any help would be appreciated!

Jason

the easiest way is two seperate hardisks, one for xp and one for leopard, my xp runs fine with ahci. use the f8 key to choose what disk you wanna boot from. make sure when you do your installations to keep the other drive unplugged to avoid corruption.

Hi,

I'm trying to install JaS 10.5.4, but with any configuration I choose, I get the error "boot1: error" before the OS starts booting after install. I've read somewhere that it's got something to do with Chameleon, but there is no option for not installing chameleon and furthermore I'm not exactly sure what chameleon does exactly.

Kalyway 10.5.1 has been working for me. So my specs should be pretty compatible.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I'm trying to install JaS 10.5.4, but with any configuration I choose, I get the error "boot1: error" before the OS starts booting after install. I've read somewhere that it's got something to do with Chameleon, but there is no option for not installing chameleon and furthermore I'm not exactly sure what chameleon does exactly.

Kalyway 10.5.1 has been working for me. So my specs should be pretty compatible.

Thanks for your help!

Chameleon does the same thing as PC_EFI. In fact I just redid one of my drives and all I had to do was reformat the disk (GUID) install 10.5, then the comboupdater 10.5.4, run the script from this package downloadable here after the script I ran Chameleon and I was up and running. Vanilla install, everything works. Just need to make sure your BIOS is set properly. For audio and graphics, I am using EFI strings so I don't need any kind of injectors.

Hi,

I connected a WD 750gb hdd onto Jmicron S-ATA connector (near to the heatpipe). Then I turn the Jmicron controller on in the bios and set it to AHCI mode. I got properly installed JmicronATA.kext and I can't see hdd in Finder.

So, does someone have a working Jmicron s-ata port? And it would be nice if someone could help me :)

Thx!

Hi,

I connected a WD 750gb hdd onto Jmicron S-ATA connector (near to the heatpipe). Then I turn the Jmicron controller on in the bios and set it to AHCI mode. I got properly installed JmicronATA.kext and I can't see hdd in Finder.

So, does someone have a working Jmicron s-ata port? And it would be nice if someone could help me ;)

Thx!

In the BIOS under Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration,did you enable the JMicron controller? Controller should = Enabled, Controller Mode should = AHCI, JMicron Bootrom should = Disabled.

In the BIOS under Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration,did you enable the JMicron controller? Controller should = Enabled, Controller Mode should = AHCI, JMicron Bootrom should = Disabled.

Yes, I did exactly that. I don't know if it matters but the others s-ata ports (controlled by ICH7) are in IDE mode, not AHCI (beacause if I change it to AHCI it will break my win xp)...

Yes, I did exactly that. I don't know if it matters but the others s-ata ports (controlled by ICH7) are in IDE mode, not AHCI (beacause if I change it to AHCI it will break my win xp)...

If you read THIS THREAD, they tell you how to install the software you need to make XP happy and be able to use AHCI. Good Luck!

Hey guys,

I need help. I've been a Windows/PC-user all my life and bought a copy (yes, a legal copy) of Mac OS 10.5.4 only three days ago. So I don't know anything about Mac OS X or Macs in general. I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe, E6300, X1950 Pro, 2 GB RAM and a 500 GB SATA HHD.

I burned Boot 132 to a disc, boot up, change disc to Mac OS X and it starts to load, but after a few seconds this error message appears:

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 16432736 Sectors 64

It appears four times, and after about ten seconds of further loading the PC reboots. I've used three different versions of boot 132, the iso Original with project kexts, the iso with modified kexts and the iso from the first message in this thread. Always the same error. Then I changed the IDE DVD drive with another IDE DVD drive, still the same error. Today I bought an SATA DVD burner, and removed all IDE drives, but still the same error ... I've tried different IDE configuration settings in the BIOS, switching between Standard IDE and AHCI mode, but it's always the same. Don't know what I should do.

My HDD is Third IDE Master, connected to the SATA1 port on the mainboard, the DVD drive is Fourth IDE slave, connected to the SATA3 port.

Any help appreciated!

Unable to upgrade from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 despite multiple attempts.

Did the trick to get rid of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, tried upgrading various kexts without success.

Others have been able to make the jump. Has anyone with a P5W DH done so? What's the recipe?

Same thing for me. Crashed my whole system completely. I had my kext files backed up as well as kernel, but the installer crashed. Restarted, didnt work. Tried to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, didn't work. Restored backups of kexts, kernel, still didn't work. I wasn't keeping a close eye on the installer, but I believe the installer didn't even finish installing and crashed before it finished.

Hi everyone,

I did a successful upgrade from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5. Just ran the delta update, deleted the CPUPowermanager kext during install and ran 'repair permissions.' Lost QE/CI and sound, but got them back by restoring my saved AppleHDA.kext and running the new nvinstaller 9f25 (I think that's what it's called). All working smooth now.

But I've got a different question. Does your motherboard take quite long to boot, too? I'd estimate it takes around 20 seconds to get to the countdown for OSX bootoptions. I recently saw the P5K-E in action and I could hardly make out the bootscreen and it was already at booting OSX. My bios is 2206, but the description of the newer bioses doesn't say anything about improved boot-time.

Thanks a lot!

Same thing for me. Crashed my whole system completely. I had my kext files backed up as well as kernel, but the installer crashed. Restarted, didnt work. Tried to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, didn't work. Restored backups of kexts, kernel, still didn't work. I wasn't keeping a close eye on the installer, but I believe the installer didn't even finish installing and crashed before it finished.

Same thing happened to me, we probably all used the Comboupdater for 10.5.5 which adds a couple of files I think. Try (backing up first of course) removing the following:

AppleEFIRuntime.kext

AppleHWSensor.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

And see if that gets you past the hump. I ended up reformatting and re-installing from the ground up,but have done it so many times now its easy. One thing I noticed after going to 10.5.5, my Geekbench scores are LOWER! Wassup with dat?????

vanilla kernel 9.2.2 10.5.5 combo update

did 2 installations first crashed when i was editing the dont steal mac file you do that after installation had the script running to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

the second time the system did not crash

what happend is i loost Root acces my password did not work any more

if you dont have root acces well you can kiss the installation goodbye.

or do everything in terminal at start up:S you just got to love time machine.

strange thing was i could still acces restriced files and alter there property's with the root password