Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

runithome: Hmm. Well I've had some problems with the Kalyway install. For example I haven't been able to put it to sleep and successfully resume usage after several minutes or more. However I did get it to work perfectly using the "retail disc image" install method. I'm working on a guide that details how to install via retail disc mode (in detail) so maybe you should try doing that. You'll need a spare drive through, possibly external.Also, what version of BIOS are you using? Make sure you're using 2004 or newer, and also check the BIOS settings.

# Execute disable function -> Enabled

# Max CPUID Value Limit-> Enabled

# Memory remap feature -> Enabled

# Microcode update -> Enabled

# ACPI 2 support -> Yes

# ACPI APIC support -> Enabled

# Suspend Mode -> S3 only

What are you guys doing for audio setups on your P5W DHs? I'm trying to get my Logitech X-530s working properly but I'm only getting audio out of the centre channel.

I think you just have to use it in 2-channel mode. I too have Logitech 5.1 speakers (Z-5500) and I have to use the audio in 2 channel mode. MY speakers have an option that convert 2 channels -> 6 via Dolby ProLogic II, but I don't believe yours does. Try only connecting the front speakers audio cable (probably green). Supposedly if you're good with GFX strings and such, you can plug the correct strings in and get multi-channel audio support natively in Leopard, but I'm not sure exactly.

hi,

i've just got a pci usb add in card which says on the box is mac compatible but is not registering at all. under system profiler it says no pci cards. does anything need to be added to IOPCIFamily.kext to enable the pci slots?

any help would be greatly appreciated

mass

hi,

i've just got a pci usb add in card which says on the box is mac compatible but is not registering at all. under system profiler it says no pci cards. does anything need to be added to IOPCIFamily.kext to enable the pci slots?

any help would be greatly appreciated

mass

I would try a different PCI slot. Also, check your logs with the console app. in Utlities to see if it contains a clue.

did any of you guys manage to get HPET on 10.5.2 with unmodified apple kernel? Doesn't seem to work for me, it did show HPET Enabled on your system with patched kernel on 10.5.1 kalyway install, but i installed the retail on the other drive, doesn't seem to work, any clues?

Temperature Warning! Too HOT!

Resume: A few days ago I´ve experienced several problems with my p5w dh temperature including pc CPU overloading till 100%! Bizzarre. After searching the net i´ve dicovered that the thermal grease used by asus is not good at all. I sugest you change your thermal grease as soon as possible.

At first i´ve tried removing the system thermal kexts and improving my Case ventilation, adding 3 case coolers and removing the front "dvd covers" that are not used, creating a wind tunnel. But it didn´t make much difference, just enought to avoid the overheating.

Than i took the big step and spent some money: I´ve replaced my Stock cooler (from intel Core2Quad Q6600) by a zalman CNPS9500 led, removed the beautiful copper covers from the heatsinks, where it says "ASUS" and "Digital Home" And most important and cheap: replaced all that :D asus thermal grease with "Artic Silver 5" thermal grease.

As result of all my work, the temperatures changed from:

CPU1 / CPU2 54-70 => 38-43

CPU3 / CPU4 45-56 => 35-40

I´am using a software named "temperature monitor". Some people say that this software is not accurate but at least it gives you a good idea. I´m using a dashboard gadget named iStats that gives you the HDs temperature too, very nice.

Note 1: When i tried to remove the "ASUS" heatsink, it was realy glued to the chipset and i couldn´t remove it. when i finally did it i saw that the asus :D thermal grease has turned into some sort of ciment, hard and dry.

Note 2: if you want to do the same thing I did, be aware that you will have to take your motherboard out of the case due to detach the copper heatsinks. If you don´t know how to do it, ask a PRO to do it for you cause you don´t want to break up you Mac.. PC... whatever :P

If anyone wants to see some pictures just ask me and i´ll post it.

Total Spent money: U$145,00 (aprox).

The peace that i´m feeling now: priceless!

Ok good luck!

I am so close to getting sleep

i have latest bios.

followed all bios settings

sleeps perfectly, does not wake from sleep (well it does, but never goes into leopard)

i have dual display.

Also i have mac.nubs most recent applesmbios.

thanks

I'm having issues with getting Firewire to work on my P5W DH Deluxe. It's supposedly supposed to work out of the box on 10.5.1, yet it shows in system profiler that the drivers are not installed. Anyone able to help with this? Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Hi All, Just checking, am I the only person who has an extremely slow post / bios on this mobo? I

tried the following:

- running only on IDE hdd

- running only on SATA hdd- running on mixed IDE / SATA.

- turning off all fan monitoring in BIOS. (was mentioned this could help on other forums)

- setting IDE drives to not installed (also mentioned to help)

- setting disable Jmicron raid (also mentioned to help)

CPU and RAM is correctly identified in BIOS: I am running on 2302 (shipped) bios. Will upgrading the bios help?

Replacing the RAM? Please let me know if you've had issues with a slow post/bios.

My specs:- P5W DH Deluxe.

- Intel Core Duo E2180

- PQI 512MBx2 RAM

- 250/500GB HDD (SATA)

- 160MB HDD (IDE)

- Pioneer DVD (IDE)

- ASUS Nvidia 7300GT

- Lian-Li PC50 Case / 350 Watt PSU

:(

Cheers, Gus

Fix for slow boot up is definitely to do with the fan monitoring stuff.

Disabled Digital Home and turn of the fan monitoring stuff in the PC Health section and your machine will boot up nice and quick.

Well guys got my Q6600 yesterday gave my old dual core 805 the boot (2,6@4 GHz)

tiger never ran as super but my dell laptop has leopard and i kinda wanted it on my workstation 2 so also got my self a nice new sata disk.

burned leopard kalaway tryed to install :huh: the system powers down :S

tyed a few bios settings but the dam thing will not install i get the apple scheen but neve see the blue.

-v i can see it installs stuff but then it cant find the stuff it installed. its trying to find document on some hd

after 4 installes got tiger uphook v1.4 out to play and what do you know perfect install 10.4.9 running perfect in one go.

so does leopard use other bios settings? even tryed putting the sata disk to the jmicron sata poorts sinds leopard does suport them yes yes put all sata to ichr7 any one got segestions?

Ok so is ANYONE able to shutdown 100% of the time properly ? if so, tell me how you did it because I have literally tried everything I could think of... patched kernels, different AppleSMBIOS.kexts , ACPIPowermanagement.kexts....

Mine shuts off completely everytime if I turn the wireless connection off in the Realtek 8187L wifi utility before I click shutdown. Haven't tried putting it to sleep and waking it yet however.

EDIT: Sleep/wake still doesn't work. It'd be nice if it worked, but I can deal with it not working.

well turning radio off in the wifi utility works for shutdown, thanks for that! in my quest to figure out why it wouldn't shut down i reverted to configuring sata as ide in the bios as opposed to ahci. the system started half the time with sata as ide. however i got a kernel panic if i tried to shut down after waking from sleep. this is strange. any reason for that?

I'm having issues with getting Firewire to work on my P5W DH Deluxe. It's supposedly supposed to work out of the box on 10.5.1, yet it shows in system profiler that the drivers are not installed. Anyone able to help with this? Thanks for any/all suggestions.

I had problems too.

I used to have a full retail install (only changed applesmbios and dsmos kexts) and all the system worked very well; all but firewire drives and sleep.

So I erased my disk and install kalyway 10.5.1, and all the followed updates and the latest applesmbios released by netkas.

Now the firewire disks run perfectly, but the ethernet ports are no more recognised (only sometimes they worked)

I don't know if the problem depends on the latest apple update, or my mobo is broken.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the bios settings I need to be able to install Kalyway 10.5.1 ? The computer requests a reboot everytime the darwin bootloader is done and I enter the page where I choose the language for the installation.

I understand this is caused by faulty BIOS settings.

One guy claimed he found the correct bios settings: works for p5w dh deluxe!!! you must simply tweak your bios setting!! execute disable fonction on enable ! Max cpuid on enable ! hpet enable! memory remap feature on enable! microcode updation on enable! acpi 2 support on yes ! acpi apic support on enablr!

What does he mean with "hpet enable"? Can't find this setting in the bios of P5W DH

What are the bios settings I need to be able to install Kalyway 10.5.1 ? The computer requests a reboot everytime the darwin bootloader is done and I enter the page where I choose the language for the installation.

I understand this is caused by faulty BIOS settings.

One guy claimed he found the correct bios settings: works for p5w dh deluxe!!! you must simply tweak your bios setting!! execute disable fonction on enable ! Max cpuid on enable ! hpet enable! memory remap feature on enable! microcode updation on enable! acpi 2 support on yes ! acpi apic support on enablr!

What does he mean with "hpet enable"? Can't find this setting in the bios of P5W DH

Yeah, I couldn't find it either. It may be a different mobo it's referring to.

Anyway, I am right now having Time Machine do it's first back up to an internal sata drive. I backed up the hdd with superduper! first to an external just to be sure. Hold on to your butts!

EDIT:

Well I guess it worked, but we'll see if I can restore files later. Here's a console screenshot.

post-201208-1207357799_thumb.png

I've been working this morning on installing 10.5.1 via the Kalyway DVD onto my P5w DH Deluxe.

I've run into a curious error that i cannot seem to solve at the BIOS level.

it seems the dedicated drive I (successfully) installed the OS to is only recognized as a SLAVE and not a MASTER HDD!

I cannot seem to find a way to change this.

Any guidance on the matter would be greatly appreciated. AHCI is enabled, if that makes any difference.

HELP ;)

I've been working this morning on installing 10.5.1 via the Kalyway DVD onto my P5w DH Deluxe.

I've run into a curious error that i cannot seem to solve at the BIOS level.

it seems the dedicated drive I (successfully) installed the OS to is only recognized as a SLAVE and not a MASTER HDD!

I cannot seem to find a way to change this.

Any guidance on the matter would be greatly appreciated. AHCI is enabled, if that makes any difference.

HELP :hysterical:

Answering my own question, you MUST have the primary hard drive plugged into the SATA1 connection on the motherboard, see page 2-34 of your motherboard userguide for details of this connection.

Now I must solve the b0 error....

i have a package for this motherboard uploaded here

http://rapidshare.com/files/96827974/zacintosh_package.rar

it has audio, networking, jmicron, and a bunch of other stuff that i use for this board. there are more detailed instructions posted on www.zacintosh.org , but i host it off my local machine, so if it's turned off then the site will be down :( waiting for my new server motherboard to come in the mail, or find me a good deal on month-to-month hosting!