Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Time to have a thread for P5W DH Deluxe and 10.5 related issues :D

EDIT:

INSTALL WITH: Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD to install Leopard
BIOS SETTINGS: ahci enabled, execute bit enabled

Don't use software update to install 10.5.2!

To learn about 10.5.2 installation start at posting #241:
http://forum.insanel...o...5094&st=241

THE BRAZILMAC PATCH METHOD TO INSTALL LEOPARD:

You can find a guide how to install the Retail version of Leopard here: http://forum.osx86sc...php?f=16&t=2008
(You need at least one working Tiger system installed on your PC to patch the DVD and post patch the Leopard System after the installation finished.)

The author of this guide uses a P5W DH Deluxe but the thread is filled with postings of users of other Mainboards.
So it starts to be less usefull for P5W DH Deluxe owners.

A lot of people have problems with the installation. Maybe it will help someone when i post my/others own errors during installation.

First of all i think you should use a DVD-R (not DVD+R) (but i am not 100% certain about this)

If you run the patch on a system were VirtualPC is installed on (I migrated from a G5 before): remove the Virtual PC image drivers, there is something weird going on with them and the patch script. Unfortunately i forgot the exact location of these drivers :rolleyes:

Looks like some people didn't moved the content of the unzipped patch folder on their desktop. This will work too but you need to enter the location of the fils into the patch script then. Better place them on your Dektop to reduce work and useless hassle.

The patch script will show an error at the end ("update_prebinding: error 256") - ignore it!

Make sure the target partition is on a Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioned HD!!! For some stupid reason I forgot that and wasted some hours (MBR an option when you create a new partition table with Disk Utility)

If you run in trouble ("INSTALL FAILED Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer) during installation process then your Leopard image might be corrupt. (or you forget to customize and deselect the missing additional installation options like languages, fonts etc.)
I tried it with a self created image of my Retail DVD but always ended with an error during install. I also had a downloaded Image and this one worked fine. So there must be a little secret how to perfectly create an image of a Retail DVD that i don't know yet.

Lot of people who finished the installation and did the post patch end up with a non booting system. This is because creating the boot loader didn't worked or the MBR is f*** up! They end with a black screen and a blinking white cursor in the upper left corner.

There are two ways to fix that problem:

1st solution:
Install a second 10.4 System on your desired Leopard Partition before installing Leopard. This way you will create a working boot loader.

Don't install other Languages etc. with this Tiger installer!!! (Leo wants to update them later and would not be able to find them on the patched installer DVD).
Don't forget to boot into this new tiger system and create a user before you start the Leopard installation!!!
Install Leopard as an update without erasing the new Tiger partition!
Run the post installation patch from your normal Tiger System and boot to Leopard.

2nd solution:
Set your Leopard Partition to "active" and create a Boot Loader. This is the way to create/repair MBR and boot loader after you do the Post-Installation Patch. This is how to do it:

Step one:

1. Boot to Tiger

Step two:

- Download "Startupfiletool" - it can be found in this thread http://forum.insanel...mp;#entry166040

- Unstuff and place "Startupfiletool" in "usr/sbin"
the easiest way to do this is to press shift-cmd-g in Finder and enter "/usr/sbin" - then drag the "Startupfiletool" into the "sbin" folder

- Locate and open the folder "files" on your Desktop (it's one of the folders from BrazilMAC's patch folder) - inside "files" is a folder called "i386" - open it.
- press shift-cmd-g in Finder and enter "/usr/standalone/i386" then drag all files from the first opened "i386" folder (the one on desktop/files) into the "i386" folder

4. I'm not 100% certain of tis, but I believe you may also need to put
"bless" into "usr/bin" (it can be found in the patch files on "desktop/files/")

Step three:

1. Open Terminal

- Type: "diskutil list"

result will show all your partitions

- Write down volume name and disk identifier info!

Example:

name: Leopard
identifier: disk1s2 (1=disk number 2=partition number)

I will use "disk1s2" (or "rdisk1s2") and "Leopard " in this guide code! - exchange it to your correct numbers and name when you see type in the code!!!

Step four:

1. Mark the partition active

- Type: "sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1"
(exchange "rdisk1" to your correct disk number!)

- enter your password

- Type: "update"

- Type: "f 2"
(exchange "f 2" to your correct partition number)

- Type: "w"
answer the question with "y"

- Type "q"

Step five:
- Type: "diskutil unmount /Volumes/Leopard"
(exchange "Leopard" for the correct name of your Leopard partition!)

- Type: "sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1"
(exchange "rdisk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "sudo startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 /usr/standalone/i386/boot"
(exchange "rdisk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "sudo bless -device /dev/disk1s2 -setBoot -verbose"
(exchange "disk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2"
(exchange "disk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "bless -mount /Volumes/Leopard -setBoot -verbose"
(exchange "Leopard" for the correct name of your Leopard partition!)

You may get an error "Could not find IODeviceTree:/options" but it works!

Step six:

Boot Leopard

Anyone know if the wireless is working on 10.5? I am going to try the realtek drivers in a minute

Yeah, they didnt work. Guess I'll have to go wired again. Also, I just wanted to point out that I installed Leopard from the "demon" torrent that allows you to install it in Vista. It worked like AWESOME! That was the easiest Operating System install I've ever done! The logon screen came on with sound!!!!!!!

1st solution:

Install a second 10.4 System on your desired Leopard Partition before installing Leopard. This way you will create a working boot loader.

Don't install other Languages etc. with this Tiger installer!!! (Leo wants to update them later and would not be able to find them on the patched installer DVD).

Don't forget to boot into this new tiger system and create a user before you start the Leopard installation!!!

Install Leopard as an update without erasing the new Tiger partition!

Run the post installation patch from your normal Tiger System and boot to Leopard.

Where can i get the post installation patch & how do i install it?

Ive got Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4r3 which does'nt need the post patch to boot.

Where can i get the post installation patch & how do i install it? Ive got Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4r3 which does'nt need the post patch to boot.Thanks :)
The post installation patch is for the Leopard install. You have to run it from tiger after leopard is installed on another partition. You can find the patch and guide how to install leopard here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

btw:

Another easier way to install Leopard with pacifist: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2146

I've managed to install from the BrazilMac, with a DVD+R (although I did not use the Disk Utility to burn it, instead used ImgBurn in windows, accessing the Mac Partition via HFS explorer)

Not managed to get the Realtek wireless to work, it will connect for a bit, maybe get an IP address, and then {censored} out ;)

I've managed to install from the BrazilMac, with a DVD+R (although I did not use the Disk Utility to burn it, instead used ImgBurn in windows, accessing the Mac Partition via HFS explorer)

Not managed to get the Realtek wireless to work, it will connect for a bit, maybe get an IP address, and then {censored} out :)

2LMan says they are not working - i haven't tried. But realtek should bring new drivers soon... don't they?

Is there any way to make the MBR active partition modification WITHOUT having a 2nd partition for Tiger? I have 2 disks... 0=XP, 1=OSX. I would like to keep it this way. Basically, I have the modded DVD burned and ready to go, but upon restart (after patching) it does not boot. I believe this is because of the MBR issue.

i think there should be a way by doing it with a self created rescue dvd. you would need the terminal and the post patch for it. search on macupdate or versiontracker for tools to create such disks... but i am not 100% certain about that.

Anyone know of a safe way to make a hfs+ partition larger?

I don't think it's easy to make an hfs+ partition larger ... have you tried to give a look at ipartition ? It should do what partition magic does in windows/dos environments ... perhaps it makes what it claims without hassle , hopefully at least ;)

Mal

I tried to use the diskutil in Terminal with the resize function, but I get an error that states it cant read the UUID. I have no idea what that means. I'll "try" iPartition, but I don't think it works yet for 10.5, nothing seems to at the moment.

I tried to use the diskutil in Terminal with the resize function, but I get an error that states it cant read the UUID. I have no idea what that means. I'll "try" iPartition, but I don't think it works yet for 10.5, nothing seems to at the moment.

No! don't use idefrag or any other defragmentation application with this release of leopard!!!

Hi all,

As was to be expected, we are getting a lot of queries about Leopard

compatibility of both iPartition and iDefrag.

To cut a long story short, both the final developer seed (9A559) and the

release version of Leopard (9A581) appear to contain a kernel bug that causes

the disk to stop responding. The symptoms of this problem are that our

programs will stop making any progress with the task they are working on, and

under some circumstances may beachball; additionally, the disk being used

will no longer work until you restart your machine. This does not seem to

happen with all disks on all systems, but it is easily reproduced on some of

the machines we have here and does not happen from earlier Leopard developer

seeds or from Tiger.

As a result, we do not recommend running our software *from* Leopard at this

time. The problem has been reported to Apple and we will be working to help

them to track it down as swiftly as possible.

In the meantime, if you wish to use iPartition or iDefrag on a machine with

Leopard installed, please use the programs from a bootable CD or DVD created

with CDMaker. Such discs are currently based on Tiger rather than Leopard,

so the problem mentioned above will not occur. Note also that CDMaker is

not presently able to create a bootable disc based on the Leopard install

DVD. We have no plans to address this issue until we are certain that running

iPartition and iDefrag from Leopard is safe for our customers.

One final caveat is that we do not, at this time, have the official

documentation for the new "directory hard links" feature that is used by

Time Machine. We have done a little investigation ourselves and we have no

reason to suppose that the new feature will cause any problems, but until

we have seen the official documentation (which, we are assured will be

released soon) we recommend caution when manipulating volumes containing

Time Machine back-ups.

Kind regards,

Coriolis Systems Limited

p.s. The above information applies to *all versions* of iPartition and

iDefrag, including the recently released iPartition 3.

--

Coriolis Systems Limited is a limited company incorporated in England and Wales

Company No. 5061807 Registered Office: 10 Oxford Street, Southampton, SO14 3DJ

I'm getting in "about this Mac"

"Processor: 2.8GHz unknown" - (It's a Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.8GHz)

"RAM: 3.12 GB..." - (should be 4GB)

Anyone else with this problem? Is there a fix like the "10.4.4 login manager"?

Hi, thanks for this thread, it's wonderful !

A question ... do you know which p5w modified kexts installed by brazilmac are from 10.4 tiger (and which ver) and which ones are from 10.5 itself (with modified DevID into Info.plist of kexts) ? Or are they all from 10.4.9/10.4.10 ?

Thanks!

Mal

got 10.5 working with brazilmac patch (had to make the partition bootable again, but it works).

Sound is working, but only two channels.

No mic in or the rest. Taruga's patch does not seem to work for LEO.

i managed to get the audio to work like it was in Tiger by first applying the Taruga's HDApatcher v1.16 then after the reboot i installed the 'ALC882 AppleHDA v0.4b.mpkg' file (also by Taruga). i didn't even have to reboot for the audio to work in all channels! :)

BTW, i installed Leo using the BazilMac's patched DVD over JAS 10.4.8 SS2 SS3 fresh install (without installing any P5W drivers). by doing this, i also able to boot within the Leo partition.

hope this helps. :)

i managed to get the audio to work like it was in Tiger by first applying the Taruga's HDApatcher v1.16 then after the reboot i installed the 'ALC882 AppleHDA v0.4b.mpkg' file (also by Taruga). i didn't even have to reboot for the audio to work in all channels! :)

mmm... the installer above replaces the ALCinject though. Is Time machine still working after this?

Is there any way to make the MBR active partition modification WITHOUT having a 2nd partition for Tiger? I have 2 disks... 0=XP, 1=OSX. I would like to keep it this way. Basically, I have the modded DVD burned and ready to go, but upon restart (after patching) it does not boot. I believe this is because of the MBR issue.
it seemed that kalyway has just found a way how to make a bootable hard drive for Leo. it's on the grinning diablo! someone claims it "works flawlessly". well, i think i'll give it a try for a clean install of Leo. :)
mmm... the installer above replaces the ALCinject though. Is Time machine still working after this?
time machine seems to be working but i never tried it yet. i remember it asked me if i want to make my firewire hard drive as backup the first time i plugged it into Leo. hope i have a spare hard drive to try on, besides i'm still not so confident using it.

wel got it working i got leopard via the flat drive image working its areal sintch no messy terminal no patches just download unpack get 2 more programs and use them to install the package. sound video all workinghad to tweak network but nothing more