Intel Macs + older Blizzard titles

Doug the Impaler

15 posts in this topic

Sent Blizz an email asking about universal binaries for their OS X games, specifically StarCraft and Diablo II. Here's the answer I got

At this time we have not announced plans to release a Universal Binary update for our older titles to natively support Intel Macs. All existing titles that natively support Mac OS X (StarCraft and later) will run on Intel-based Macs via the Rosetta binary translator included with Mac OS X.

Diablo II and StarCraft players will need to use the Mac OS X Native Installer to install and play the game on Intel-based Macintosh computers. Recent shipments of Diablo II and StarCraft include a Mac OS X Native Installer on the installation discs. However, players without a Native Installer on their installation disc may need to download the installer from our website at the following links:

-Diablo II: (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2/patches/Mac/Diablo_II_Installer.dmg).

-StarCraft: (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/patches/Mac/StarCraft_OS_X_Installer.dmg).

Currently, the following titles cannot run on Intel-based Macs since a Native Installer or Universal Binary update is not available:

-Diablo

-Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

-Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

-Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal

-Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition

If you are interested in a Universal Binary update to our existing software, feel free to suggest this in the Suggestions forum at - (http://www.battle.net/forums/board.aspx?ForumName=suggestions).

Regards,

Terence L.

Blizzard Entertainment

http://www.blizzard.com/support

Sent Blizz an email asking about universal binaries for their OS X games, specifically StarCraft and Diablo II. Here's the answer I got

Either 10.4.4 has better Rosetta compatibility, either Blizzard is lying because those games just won't work within OSX86 10.4.3, except War3 (which runs flawlessly BTW !).

Edited by cyclonefr

Yeah, I know, I can't get Starcraft or DII working either. I used the Jas PPF on the 8F1111 disc, though, and even though I have an SSE3 CPU I think I still have installed the SSE2 patch. I should try uninstalling it and see what happens.

nice ! I was just about to post about SSE2... it seems all we have in common there is a SSE2 processor. Maybe Maxxuss didn't manage to patch everything... You are one of the few people around there who has both mac versions of those games and a SSE3 processor to try :)

You definitly should try OSX without a patched kernel since you have a SSE3 Processor and can try those games in their full glory... You even have an ATI card so we will be able to know if Blizzard is lying or not since your PC isn't that far from a development kit :)

Maybe you already know, but you gotta do a clean install to use a non patched kernel :/ Well it's worth it since we will know about those games, and your PC will be smoother ;)

Edited by cyclonefr

edit: I did something stupid. I restored the unpatched kernel and now I'm infinitely rebooting. Any suggestions?

errr if you have Windows, just put your kernel back thanks to Macdrive. Otherwise it seems there is no way to have a 100% SSE3 installing than by reinstalling it with a clean ISO, ie only TPM patched.

Maxxuss says his patch doesn't interfere with SSE3 processors... While it might be true, we don't know for sure, and putting the original kernel back made your system crash so i guess maxxus isn't 100% right (his kernel does affect SSE3 processor, you just prooved it :))

Oh, and about QE, CI, i am pretty sure it isn't the prob (at least, it wouldn't crash ! and i tried with an ATI, same bug...).

You should try to reinstall OSX without a patched kernel.

oooh, MacDrive...that's tons faster than reinstalling OS X over and over...thanks for the tip. I'll try it tonight after work.

nonononono, don't buy a new mobo ! you can at least use that PAE patch from Maxxuss, this won't alter anything into "our" tests B) This patch doesn't affect the kernel, it's only a check from the OS.

OK, I finally got it. PAE becomes enabled when I turned NX detection on in the BIOS. My CPU doesn't support it, but if I turn it on in the BIOS it also enables PAE.

So I'm using two patches: no-NX and the kernel panic CPUID fix (because applying only the NX patch to the kernel resulted in a kernel panic when I started up). With the Intel graphics and no SSE2 emulation, my machine boots into OS X but no Rosetta apps work AT ALL. So far, I've tried all the stuff that did work with SSE3 emulation, like iWork 05, ScoreWriter, a couple of games...now nothing at all with no SSE3 emulation. I'm stumped!

edit: I got it, I got it working...I was downloading and applying patches to the 8F1111 kernel not 8F1111A kernel. After applying patches to the latest kernel the installer is workign and I'm installing Starcraft.

edit2 : Must not be the SSE3 emulation because it still does what we were having problems with, where it'd start to load and then die. I also have no sound. Wonder if that's a problem....

If anyone has any suggestions, drop them here and let me know and I'll try them tonight.

Edited by Doug the Impaler

OK, I finally got it. PAE becomes enabled when I turned NX detection on in the BIOS. My CPU doesn't support it, but if I turn it on in the BIOS it also enables PAE.

So I'm using two patches: no-NX and the kernel panic CPUID fix (because applying only the NX patch to the kernel resulted in a kernel panic when I started up). With the Intel graphics and no SSE2 emulation, my machine boots into OS X but no Rosetta apps work AT ALL. So far, I've tried all the stuff that did work with SSE3 emulation, like iWork 05, ScoreWriter, a couple of games...now nothing at all with no SSE3 emulation. I'm stumped!

edit: I got it, I got it working...I was downloading and applying patches to the 8F1111 kernel not 8F1111A kernel. After applying patches to the latest kernel the installer is workign and I'm installing Starcraft.

edit2 : Must not be the SSE3 emulation because it still does what we were having problems with, where it'd start to load and then die. I also have no sound. Wonder if that's a problem....

If anyone has any suggestions, drop them here and let me know and I'll try them tonight.

Don't know about the sound... Nice you could try a clean kernel ! Anyway, could you try Diablo II ? If it still crashes, then Blizzard is definitly lying... Don't know why though... You should mailbombing them about you, having a development kit out there and saying them it doesn't work :)

We dont' know that Blizz is DEFINITELY lying, because we haven't seen what shipping Rosetta looks like...Apple may have made some fine-tuned adjustments in 10.4.4 that we don't know about. I'll try D2 tonight.

As for sound, I can order an Esoniq PCI 1370 card.

X600 should be arriving today! w00t!

Edited by Doug the Impaler

We dont' know that Blizz is DEFINITELY lying, because we haven't seen what shipping Rosetta looks like...Apple may have made some fine-tuned adjustments in 10.4.4 that we don't know about. I'll try D2 tonight.

As for sound, I can order an Esoniq PCI 1370 card.

X600 should be arriving today! w00t!

Actually we do know : blizzard said themselves they don't have 10.4.4, but only Development kit machines with 10.4.3... (from their forums)

Wonderful [/sarcasm]

I wonder what the big deal is. What's really weird is once installed, all the aliases I have have the circle with the line through it superimposed over the top, like it's not going to run no matter what. Don't know why though.

Oh, well...time to install Diablo II.

Actually, time for World of Warcraft in Windows...all this testing is getting to me...lol