I got WIRELESS drivers by asking manufacturer......

Christian

31 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Thanks Rootnik for pointing me to this topic.

Of course I am having problems more or less similar to what you were having before upgrading to Leopard, I imagine.

Would anyone be kind enough to edit RTL8187.kext/Contents/Info.plist and in the 8187B personality, add:

<key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>65535</integer>

You would add these two lines under:

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>3034</integer>

Then do:

sudo kextunload RTL8187B.kext

sudo kextload RTL8187B.kext

Then post here the content of /var/log/system.log starting with this line (from the end):

[various cruft, including datetime, hostname] sudo[xxx] [username] TTY=ttys000; PWD=/System/Library/Extensions ; USER=root; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload RTL8187b.kext

Thanks,

-C.

Dec 29 10:50:09 coreys-macintosh sudo[557]: corey : TTY=ttys000; PWD=/System/Library/Extensions; USER=root; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload RTL8187Bt.kext
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: Bulk-In, Bulk-Out, Interface: family specific matching fails
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily::probe(IOUSBInterface)
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily::start(IOUSBInterface) <1>
Dec 29 10:50:14 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily: Ethernet address 00:c0:a8:fc:9c:88
Dec 29 10:50:26 coreys-macintosh Realtek WLAN Client Utility[560]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL
Dec 29 10:50:37 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: en1: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address fe80:0005::02c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88: NS in/out=1/1, NA in=0
Dec 29 10:50:37 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: en1: DAD complete for fe80:0005::02c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88 - duplicate found
Dec 29 10:50:37 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: en1: manual intervention required
Dec 29 10:50:47 coreys-macintosh ntpd[24]: bind() fd 25, family 30, port 123, scope 5, addr fe80::2c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88, in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=17 fails: Can't assign requested address
Dec 29 10:50:47 coreys-macintosh ntpd[24]: Interface en1 fe80::2c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88 failed to bind

I'm not sure what all of those 'fail" messages are about. Everything is working ok.

Dec 29 10:50:09 coreys-macintosh sudo[557]: corey : TTY=ttys000; PWD=/System/Library/Extensions; USER=root; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload RTL8187Bt.kext
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: Bulk-In, Bulk-Out, Interface: family specific matching fails
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily::probe(IOUSBInterface)
Dec 29 10:50:10 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily::start(IOUSBInterface) <1>
Dec 29 10:50:14 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily: Ethernet address 00:c0:a8:fc:9c:88
Dec 29 10:50:26 coreys-macintosh Realtek WLAN Client Utility[560]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL
Dec 29 10:50:37 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: en1: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address fe80:0005::02c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88: NS in/out=1/1, NA in=0
Dec 29 10:50:37 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: en1: DAD complete for fe80:0005::02c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88 - duplicate found
Dec 29 10:50:37 coreys-macintosh kernel[0]: en1: manual intervention required
Dec 29 10:50:47 coreys-macintosh ntpd[24]: bind() fd 25, family 30, port 123, scope 5, addr fe80::2c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88, in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=17 fails: Can't assign requested address
Dec 29 10:50:47 coreys-macintosh ntpd[24]: Interface en1 fe80::2c0:a8ff:fefc:9c88 failed to bind

I'm not sure what all of those 'fail" messages are about. Everything is working ok.

Thanks!

As you can see below, no joy for me (it's my wife's laptop).

Dec 29 20:03:18 maritxus-acpi sudo[140]:  maritxu : TTY=ttys000; PWD=/System/Library/Extensions; USER=root; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload RTL8187Bt.kext
Dec 29 20:03:19 maritxus-acpi kernel[0]: Bulk-In, Bulk-Out, Interface: family specific matching fails
Dec 29 20:03:19 maritxus-acpi kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1
Dec 29 20:03:19 maritxus-acpi kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily::probe(IOUSBInterface)
Dec 29 20:03:19 maritxus-acpi kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily::start(IOUSBInterface) <1>
Dec 29 20:03:22 maritxus-acpi kernel[0]: RtlUsbFamily: Ethernet address 00:16:44:68:cb:ae
Dec 29 20:03:24 maritxus-acpi /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer[141]: (-3230) Cannot use ATS Persistent Store - switching to old FODB cache code
Dec 29 20:03:25 maritxus-acpi Realtek WLAN Client Utility[70]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL
Dec 29 20:03:25 maritxus-acpi com.apple.SystemStarter[16]: 2007-12-29 20:03:25.215 Realtek WLAN Client Utility[70:10b] *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL

I highly recommend the iATKOS install. I have it installed, along with it's Darwin Boot/EFI emulation combo, and dual booted with vista. Sound, wireless, keyboard (thanks to you).. the only thing bugging me is sleep mode.

If there is anything else I can do to help you, let me know. Your help with the keyboard motivated me to get my dual boot setup complete, I owe you help with your wireless.

...and it's what I ended up doing.

Running iATKOS (warning! It looks like using the wireless driver on the ToH is a nightmare) and now I have:

1. Working Video (well, in safe mode, but 1280x800)

2. Working keyboard (with patched driver)

3. Working wireless (yay again!)

Remaining:

1. Non-working sound card

2. Non-working sleep mode (I would really like this one working)

3. Non-working shutdown/reset (stays on)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a noob here and not even setting up a Hackintosh - I only work on real ones :) - but oddly enough, this is the only place I've found any discussion of the Realtek RTL8178B USB adapters working with any kind of drivers under Leopard.

I've had a Mac Mini offline for a month after the Leopard upgrade killed my previous Belkin Wireless B USB adapter it was connected to. So I've been pulling hair trying to figure out how to make something work.... inexpensively.

Today, I found a Trendnet Wireless G USB adapter (TEW-424UB) at MicroCenter for $7.99 after rebate - mistakenly thought it was based on the Ralink chip - and bought it... only to find out through System Info that it shows up as the RTL8178B. Several Google searches all brought me here.

I at first installed the driver found on Realtek's website - and it just hung on launch. Then I found this thread and the link to the 1.5.0 driver. Downloaded and installed it and EUREKA! I HAVE A CONNECTION AGAIN!

I'm currently running 10.5 on it - going to update to 10.5.1 and then hold off on 10.5.2 until Realtek comes through with a new version of the driver. But either way, I wanted to say an IMMENSE THANK YOU to Christian for posting that driver and all who've contributed to this discussion! I hope to spread the word about this fix to the MANY Mac users like me looking for a wireless USB solution under Leopard. And tomorrow, I plan to go buy a few more Trendnet USB adapters!

• 4 months later...

Hi I'm having an issue with the Wireless on my Toshiba Equium A200-1V0

WiFi: Realtek 8197 (Working with (Realtek_RTL8187B_MacOS10.4_Driver_1088_UI_1.5.0) - requires vendor:poductid mod in Info.plist)

edit RTL8187B.kext/Contents/Info.plist and in the 8187B personality, add:

<key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>65535</integer>

You would add these two lines under:

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>3034</integer>

Then do:

sudo kextunload RTL8187B.kext

sudo kextload RTL8187B.kext

if that did work try

Once you have dragged the file into /System/Library/Extensions/ you will need to Authenticate

with your administrative password. Once you have authenticated you will need to open a terminal

window & paste the following commands into the terminal:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187B.kext

[authenticate again]

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187B.kext

sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187B.kext [manually load kext]

When you have manualy loaded the kext Successfully you should get the following text or something similar.

Once the kext is successfully loaded clear the kext cache to do this copy and paste the following into a Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

[This forces the system to re-examine all of the drivers and rematch during the next boot cycle.]

Now Reboot.

Did that and still nothing, nothing even shows up? I have got my lan card to work now to get wireless working i use that most.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Today I have bought a cheap LogiLink WL0006 USB adapter powered by the Realtek RTL8187B chipset for my Mac mini.

At first, nothing worked with the Realtek drivers. The Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility never started up, even when I launched it manually.

It took me a whole day to find the culprit: it was a simple mismatch between the USB product ID of the device and the ID the driver was looking for.

You can look up the USB product ID of the adapter using System Profiler » USB (mine is 0x8187 in hex, which translates to 33159). The driver itself looks for an ID of 33161. The latter is configurable via the Info.plist file inside the kext package (see CyanSmoker’s explanation).

Because of the mismatch, the kext still loads normally but won’t enable the device. You can notice that this happens by the debug output in /var/log/system.log as follows:

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter: family specific matching fails

Note that you have to modify the debug level (as explained above) to enable logging before you reload the kext.

My solution: I just modified the product ID value in the Info.plist file from 33161 to 33159 and reloaded the kext file (as CyanSmoker explained above).

Regards

Sypholux

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

None of this is workin, im working on a Toshiba Sattilie a205 and ive tried every RT driver i can find, and also followed ALL of these posts to the T...do i NEED the RT Utils? cuz that thing aint never worked on ANY OS 10 ive seen....lol....any help here? Im not THAT much of a Newb..

• 2 weeks later...
None of this is workin, im working on a Toshiba Sattilie a205 and ive tried every RT driver i can find, and also followed ALL of these posts to the T...do i NEED the RT Utils? cuz that thing aint never worked on ANY OS 10 ive seen....lol....any help here? Im not THAT much of a Newb..

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...0.5/iwi3945.dmg

and reading up would probably be a good idea. good luck! :censored2:

I had actually asked for drivers for the same card and the response i got was

"This hardware is not in any current apple product, thus support is not needed".

Its ashame i ripped that laptop apart or else I'd install Leopard again

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this up again but I would really like some help. I have everything on my Equium A200-1V0 working great apart from this bloody wireless :D

Install the Realtek drivers from their website, then try to load the software and the icon bounces and just keeps bouncing, then stops responding. I have read that I need to edit the info.plist, but what do I edit in there and to what?

this is what it says in SystemProfiler:

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x8197

Vendor ID: 0x0bda (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 2.00

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Location ID: 0xfd600000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks, James

• 3 weeks later...
I have read that I need to edit the info.plist, but what do I edit in there and to what?

(…)

Product ID: 0x8197

James,

Try to change the product ID in your info.plist to 33175 (since 0x8197 = 33175). When you're done, reload the kext as CyanSmoker described in his post.

Regards

Sypholux

• 3 weeks later...
James,

Try to change the product ID in your info.plist to 33175 (since 0x8197 = 33175). When you're done, reload the kext as CyanSmoker described in his post.

Regards

Sypholux

Nearly have a perfect working laptop with OS X :D When I connect to my 'n' router it doesn't give me an IP address :( is this because it is 'n' or because it is WPA-2? It does connect to the router but never gives an IP address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

James

Nearly have a perfect working laptop with OS X :D When I connect to my 'n' router it doesn't give me an IP address :( is this because it is 'n' or because it is WPA-2? It does connect to the router but never gives an IP address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

James

It didn't like WPA2-PSK AES lol :D Turned it down on security and it is working now :D I've finally got a working OS X on my laptop hehe YAY!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone...

Is this driver the one from realtek's webpage which comes with the realtek wlan client utility or it's another one that will recognize my wifi adapter as airport?

thanks!