Disable built in iSight under Leopard on Macbook Pro (C2D)?

LinMac

7 posts in this topic

I can usually find what I need to know by searching, but so far this problem hasn't been so easy to solve.

I want to disable the built in iSight camera in my Macbook Pro (C2D) via software instead of some unsightly tape. I'm aware of the possibility of a rootkit or other malicious software being able to override a software lockout, but in truth if the software was able to get that far I might have bigger problems.

This is partly to keep it from being used via iChat and other software unintentionally. I am forgetful sometimes and I wouldn't want to subject others to my morning face, before I shower, by mistake.

I have tried to remove the following from the system followed by a reboot, but the camera is still usable in iMovie and in "System Preferences -> Accounts -> Edit Picture -> Take a video snapshot":

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer

when removing that did not work I tried to remove the entire folder:

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/

in the end I removed all of the following:

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/ (the entire folder)

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/Apple_iSight.kext

but this still does not disable the built in iSight even after rebooting the system.

I am really out of ideas on what could possibly be keeping it enabled, but I hope someone here has some ideas.

On the question of malicious software, Macintosh is built on Darwin/UNIX. There is still malicious software written for *nix platforms in the form of rootkits though these are most commonly targeted against webservers. No platform is immune to exploits or malicious software, but some such as *nix platforms are hardened against it more than others such as Win32/64.

Disabling this is something of a question of how the disabling it in Leopard differs from Tiger as well as a way to help keep me from forgetting to disable the camera.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Well since everyone is just bashing, how about we look at it from a different angle. I have a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam this is FAR superior to the built-in isight, but every application i open, turns on the isight instead of the logitech unless there is a way to change in the app. The problem is that in QT, PB, and iMovie, there is no way to select the capturing device and it goes off of the 1st one available. How can I make the isight "unavailable" as in a notebook that doesn't have one?

• 7 months later...
Well since everyone is just bashing
I reckon. What's up with that?

I have a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam this is FAR superior to the built-in isight
Me too, and agreed.

The problem is that in QT, PB, and iMovie, there is no way to select the capturing device and it goes off of the 1st one available.
I know! Isn't that just silly? Did Apple believe that no one would ever have more than one webcam or video source? Huh? :rolleyes:

Did you ever find a solution? It's been driving me nutz for months.

Cheers.