Time Machine fix! Latest patched kexts from ToH release

Skitals

21 posts in this topic

Time Machine did not work on most (all?) hackintoshes with the unpatched ionetworkingfamily.kext. This is simply all the patched kexts from ToH's DVD. The patched IONetworkingFamily fixes time machine.

This is great, unfortunately the ToH IONetworkingFamily.kext is not patched for DRM, so no Maya possible :P

This is great, unfortunately the ToH IONetworkingFamily.kext is not patched for DRM, so no Maya possible :)

Time machine causes a kernel panic after approx. 5 minutes into the backup. My install is patched ISO image with BrazilMac patch.

Edited for name correctness

IS the ToH DVD available then? I've checked the demon and the 'bay, but it's nowhere to be had. ToH said they'd release it ages ago - I'm looking for an SSE2 dvd :S
. . their IRC went offline last night. The ToH install DVD RC2 went up very briefly, promptly removed from the tracker after (it is said) some - erm - over-enthusiastic person Digged it.

AFAIK the thing is being patched in a bugfix plus AMD support & will be out, via some more-or-less discreet means, in a day or two.

. . all very early days yet, & of course the Uphuck team have their own project.

• 1 year later...

The recommended way to fix this nowadays is to install the latest version of Chameleon 2.0 and add EthernetBuiltin=yes to /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Alternatively, you can do the same thing via device properties string in com.apple.boot.plist.

You can use gfxutil, OSX86Tools or EFIStudio to generate one. You must have working ethernet first.

Another solution (for those with compatible hardware) is to use koalala's ACPIPatcher (Windows) or DSDTSE (Mac OS) to apply the Time Machine fix to their DSDT, or add it manually.

The recommended way to fix this nowadays is via device property string in com.apple.boot.plist.

You can use gfxutil, OSX86Tools or EFIStudio to generate one. You must have working ethernet first.

Another solution (for those with compatible hardware) is to use koalala's ACPIPatcher to apply the Time Machine fix to their DSDT.

I have tried all the above methods, including the IONetworkingFamily kext and adding the boot strings through OSx86 tools, but nothing seems to work when it comes to fixing Time Machine. The time machine backup gets to about 6.1 gb of 11.6 gb complete, then silently fails, with no message as to why. If it helps, I'm running iAtkos v5i. Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm. After the kext's Time Machine works. But then my system doesn't load again on boot. It simply reaches that damn blinking cursor. It was an unclean shut down so that was probably the problem.

Actually this fix has another side affect that I have been battling for 3 days.

Time Machine works -- but it makes general networking VERY unstable -- RDC fails .. Vista VM's under Fusion NEVER works (XP/Linux do)

And I don't even know what the heck this fix is .. it's changing the AppleDecrypt.kext and a couple of other kexts .. and I am not with all the beans to tell what's going on!

I have tried all the above methods, including the IONetworkingFamily kext and adding the boot strings through OSx86 tools, but nothing seems to work when it comes to fixing Time Machine. The time machine backup gets to about 6.1 gb of 11.6 gb complete, then silently fails, with no message as to why. If it helps, I'm running iAtkos v5i. Any ideas on how to fix this?

My last mail didin't make it.

But none of these fixes are working fully.

It makes my Fusion VMs (Vista only) lose networking -- XP/Linux VM's work fine.

Only happens in 10.5.6 with Fusion 2.0

I had everything working fine in 10.5.4 with Fusion 2.0

Sad thing is . .that I don't know what all these scripts are doing . .wish LTL's 4.4 package was still available - it's missing from media fire

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello! Time Machine is work correctly, but i always should use -f flag to boot. If i boot normally, i get a kernel panic. What can i do? Please help!

Hey gang I tried the methods previously listed and 1: the rapid share file is for premium users only? and 2: do you think that fix will help when time machine claims "time machine could not be configured the built in network interface couldnt be found"

• 3 months later...

I was having kernel panics every time during time machine backup on an AMD system. I tried every suggestion out there including the modified kexts and nothing worked (I've spent DAYS on this problem). What did? I had to limit my ram to 3072. That's boot option maxmem=3072. I have 4GB and everything above 3072 failed (tested just under 4, 3900, 3700, 3500- all KP'd). Dual channel/single channel/stagged slots....nothing made a difference except this fix.

Just wanted throw throw this out there for anyone having problems not otherwise resolvable- I couldn't find this anywhere on the net. I'm building a machine for my Apple-diehard dad and it has to be 100% stable and TM backup is key for my purposes (in case he accidentally installs an update that bricks the system, etc.). I didn't realize it was only a TM/ram issue that was the source of the instability; I was on the brink of giving up on the whole project! Now I can do anything including running every program on the system at the same time with no KP.

FYI- RAM tests pass 100%, so I believe faulty RAM is unlikely, but who knows. Maybe Microsoft is onto something with artificially limiting ram to 3GB on 32bit windows installations.... Heresy, I know >). Also, I'm running 10.6.3 with the .test7 kernel (I realize this thread is a 10.5 thread, but it's the only one relevant to TM issues and I'm not allowed to start new threads, so please don't blast me for trying to be helpful!)

Your RAM is fine. You have this issue: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127611

If your dad is a die-hard Apple fan, he deserves at least an Intel-based hackintosh.

Thanks, I'll check it out! It's so hard to even begin searching for such specific issues. He'll be going from a painfully slow 1.8ghz Intel mini (1gb ram, laptop parts, GMA graphics) to my decent gaming rig (w/ QE/CI) I just upgraded to an even more awesome gaming rig....for free. I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal on his part >). He just bought a copy of snow leopard, so Apple's getting something out of it, and I'm going to try and strip down the mini into a home theater PC for my AV setup. Everyone wins a little >).

It can be a pain to get OS X running properly on AMD platforms, they are a lot less compatible than Intel PCs.

Definitely true, which is why I started this project only as a curiosity. Turned out to be pretty easy with only a few quirks here and there (now resolved). With the kext from your link my last issue is 100% fixed: no KP with TM backup! For me, part of building a hackintosh is for the purposes of saving money over Apple hardware. The savings are two fold: 1) AMD systems are cheaper to build, and 2) I already had an AMD system lying around >). Thanks for the help!