Leopard on SSE2 Howto here!

vboyz

135 posts in this topic

OK folks, this is a quick mini howto on getting Leopard on your SSE2 machine. I got it to work on my Dell 9300.

Not working: System Profiler crashes every time.

Working: almost everything else include Sigmatel sound, Geforce 6800 go with natit, wireless (Atheros), wired (broadcom) internet

OK here it goes.

1. Follow the BrazilMac's guide to patch the original leopard down to SL DVD. Leave it there once done. Note: this will shrink the DVD size down to single layer DVD. To make it full Dual Layer, if you want, I think you can just edit the script not to remove the files (?) not tested though.

2. Follow this link and download the kernel patcher to bring it down to SSE2. Note: you will need to extract the mach_kernel from your original UNTOUCHED DMG. The patched kernel will be named as "mach_kernel.hacked" rename it to "mach_kernel"

3. Now, you should have a patch dvd and a SSE2 kernel on your desktop (or somewhere else), open a terminal and type: "hdiutil attach -readwrite $path_to_patch_dvd -owners on" (no quotes). This will allows you to mount the iso in writable mode. In terminal, type "cd /Volumes/xxx" where xxx is the label for the patch DVD iso.

4. Now we need to rename the mach_kernel which came from the patched DVD (because it is SSE3 kernel), by typing: "mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.sse3"

5. Then, copy the SSE2 kernel on your desktop to here by typing: "cp /Users/xxx/Desktop/mach_kernel ."

6. Exit out of the terminal, then right click on the mounted DVD ISO and eject it.

7. Burn the DVD, boot and install. Note: during installation, choose your language, then select a drive to install and click Customize and deselect everything.

8. post patch will replace the mach_kernel with SSE3 kernel therefore I you either need to replace the mach_kernel for SSE2 in the post patch folder or edit the file to comment out the part where it replaces the kernel again.

9. Once installation finished, run the 9a581post-patch.sh however you want (either thru tiger or usb drive).

VERY IMPORTANT here:

10. There are 2 kext from Tiger that you will need: the dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext without these you will get Leopard kernel panic.

11. Now boot into single mode of Leopard, copy the dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext from tiger partition (or wherever else) to /System/Library/Extensions, overwrite the existing ones (because they are for SSE3 I think)

12. Repair persmision and such and reboot.

13. Now you have Leopard on SSE2 machine.

dsmos.kext

SSE2 mach_kernel

post-25888-1193891120_thumb.png

Great! Thanks. Does Front Row/Time Machine etc.. all work too? Is it as stable as late SSE2 tiger DVDs? (like JaS)

Did the "about this mac> more info" crash on the Tiger Machine you copied the AppleSMBIOS.kext from? Or just now in Leopard?

Great! Thanks. Does Front Row/Time Machine etc.. all work too? Is it as stable as late SSE2 tiger DVDs? (like JaS)Did the "about this mac> more info" crash on the Tiger Machine you copied the AppleSMBIOS.kext from? Or just now in Leopard?
Dolbinau -It was working just fine on tiger, for some reason it crashed in leopard. Frontrow seems to work correctly. Well at least I launched it and navigate through it just fine. I have no music or video so can't play.To others -Please read my post carefully before asking question. I got this working on my Dell 9300, and leopard is installed on external USB drive.
How can i extract the mach_kernel from my untouched DMG file?? Please help..Thanks for the guide :D
Double click on the DMG, let it mount. Open up a terminal, type: "cd /Volumes/whatever_volue_of_the_dmg", do a "ls" and you should see a "mach_kernel" there.

Got two questions for you Vboyz:

1. Is step 1 only for shrinking partition size i.e. if I'm not interested in making it less than 4.38gb, do I have to follow this step?

2. I patched the mach_kernel with the tool you provided, and when I boot my macbook pro with the patched leopard partition/disc it gives "four language" death; I'm assuming SSE3 is backward compatible with SSE2? I know the original disc does not boot pcs for sure so I didn't burn it/verify it on my pc.

I'm using a retail leopard image created myself thru disk utility, if this helps.

Cheers,

Ruotian

Nearly done on my Dell Inspiron 9300 too. Didn't use the guide as I was pretty much finished when this was posted but things are looking promising (installer is copying files). Things to watch out for:

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Delete this one, it'll cause a kernel panic.

- Custom install

Make sure you do a custom install and deselect the fonts / printer drivers. They are removed by Brazil's script.

Dolbinau -It was working just fine on tiger, for some reason it crashed in leopard. Frontrow seems to work correctly. Well at least I launched it and navigate through it just fine. I have no music or video so can't play.To others -Please read my post carefully before asking question. I got this working on my Dell 9300, and leopard is installed on external USB drive.Double click on the DMG, let it mount. Open up a terminal, type: "cd /Volumes/whatever_volue_of_the_dmg", do a "ls" and you should see a "mach_kernel" there.

I see the mach_kernel, but how can i extract it?? what command need to type in terminal?

Some corrections for me anyway.

"hdiutil attach -readwrite $path_to_patch_dvd -owners no"

The "-owners no" is "-owners on" (Fixes: hdiutil: attach: unknown "-owners" argument)

"$path_to_patch_dvd" is the actual ISO file (Fixes: hdiutil: attach failed - not recognized)

I'm doing all of the preinstallation stuff on my PPC Tiger install, and I am unable to run the included sdelta3 patcher on this system. The original site for the sdelta3 source code lists the files being on ftp.berlios.de, which has been dead for me for a while.

Has anyone tried this on a PPC mac (Patching the kernel), and succeeded? Or does anybody know where I can find a working mirror of sdelta3?

-Aratsu

Hmm... there's all of these guides but I don't see anything simply stating how to do some things. For people who have never touched a UNIX terminal. For example, how to actually extract the mach_kernel? And then, what do I do with it? Do I need to put it back onto the DVD after it's been patched? How?

And what is this about deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or getting a kernel panic?

Are there any step by step instructions for this so I can get it running on my AMD? I have Tiger installed right now and an empty partition ready for Leopard, with the AMD patcher downloaded and with the retail Leopard disc downloaded, but I'm not sure what to do EXACTLY... any guide would be appreciated for the UNIX termninal and DVD patching impaired like myself...

Thanks.

PS any word on when a packaged Intel/AMD/SSE2 disc that has installer and everything will be released?

Hmm... there's all of these guides but I don't see anything simply stating how to do some things. For people who have never touched a UNIX terminal. For example, how to actually extract the mach_kernel? And then, what do I do with it? Do I need to put it back onto the DVD after it's been patched? How?

And what is this about deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or getting a kernel panic?

Are there any step by step instructions for this so I can get it running on my AMD? I have Tiger installed right now and an empty partition ready for Leopard, with the AMD patcher downloaded and with the retail Leopard disc downloaded, but I'm not sure what to do EXACTLY... any guide would be appreciated for the UNIX termninal and DVD patching impaired like myself...

Thanks.

PS any word on when a packaged Intel/AMD/SSE2 disc that has installer and everything will be released?

I am in the same situation and with the same hardware specs.. waiting answers :(

as badly as i want leopard right now, im just gonna chill for a bit with 10.4.8 untill some of the awesome devs put out some dvds to do this whole process.

Plus, from what ive read on the forums and digg, there are still a lot of kinks to be worked out by apple anyway.

Also one more question...was the partition leopard is on bootable after installation? Some people seem to be having some problems with that.

I can't seem to make it bootable. Startup Disk pref pane shows no disks available. The only way I'm currently able to boot is using the install disc and pointing the the root disk in the darwin boot options.

Will do more research and get back with my findings. Otherwise, besides the About This Mac finder crash, all seems well.

I can't seem to make it bootable. Startup Disk pref pane shows no disks available. The only way I'm currently able to boot is using the install disc and pointing the the root disk in the darwin boot options.

Will do more research and get back with my findings. Otherwise, besides the About This Mac finder crash, all seems well.

Now booting!

via the boot1h/startupfiletool/bless method.

p.s. I use grub (bootloader) - your mileage may vary.

woo!

Thanks for the information, I'll give this a shot.

I'm going to use BrazilMAC's script to remove all the extra stuff, add a partition, and use VMware to install.

I'm going to play around with the DVD and see if I can put some kexts from my Tiger installation into the Leopard DVD so when I get it installed it will work 100%.

Amazing how you guys can figure this out so quickly!

OK folks, this is a quick mini howto on getting Leopard on your SSE2 machine. I got it to work on my Dell 9300.

Not working: System Profiler crashes every time.

Working: almost everything else include Sigmatel sound, Geforce 6800 go with natit, wireless (Atheros), wired (broadcom) internet

Congrats! I also have an Inspiron 9300 with Tiger 10.4.8 running on it and I'm looking forward to getting Leo running on it.

So how did you get it to use natit? which version? I'm currently using Natit v0.2 with the dual-screen support in Tiger, will this work under Leopard?

Do I need to comment out any of the postpatch.sh so that the NV drivers don't get removed?

Thanks.