174 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your path!

• I'm getting a MacBook Pro
    • 17" iMac for me
    • I'll take a 20" iMac, please
    • Waiting for upcoming models
    • I have no intention of spending money on an Apple

42 posts in this topic

I'm saving for the 17" iMac (I was about to buy an iPod nano when Apple announced that the transition will be over in 1 year not 2). If in one and a half years I don't get the money I will consider seriously to get a Mac mini (...or equivalent) or 12" iBook (...or equivalent).

I don't mind won't being able to dual boot Windows cuss I've a decent PC right now (dual boot Linux/Windows) and I will work mainly in graphic design, sometimes in IT and in free time developing/testing FOSS. Windows is not really necessary and I've being wating for this OS to disappear because any work that I will made in the future will involve computers one way or the other.

In case the new macs can handle triple boot, with win and linuxI will definately think about it. Other than that I will build an OSx86 box with similar specs to the macs. Hopefully Mac OS will rnu on non Apple computers.

Apple tends to sells machines that become obsolete in a few months (now less than 90 days!).

I have ordered by MacBook Pro since the Jan 10, 2006 the 02:11 PM GMT ;-), it's a

MBPRO 15/1.83 CTO

1GB 667 DDR2- 1 SO-DIMM

100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600-256M

BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS-F

Airport Extreme Card&BT-F

I've received a confirmation which said that i will not pay before the shipping of the product. The confirmation said also that the product will be shipped in a delay of 3 to 9 days after the 15 february. I hope this is true and even that this will be shorter. I must also order a 2d 1 Go RAM.

O.T: I'm impatient to test the bootmgr.efi, bcd and other things from Vista 5270 on the MacBook. I also read in the MS Vista forums that the beta2 will be shipped ~ the 25 january, so perhaps this will improve compatibility with the MacIntels and new EFI 32bits laptops.

with an official x86 Mac I wouldn't need to dual-boot. The only reason I'm in Windows right now is for Blizzard's games, and they'll be fine on a real Mac (according to Blizz), so I have nothing stopping me. My dream Mac Mini would be a 1.67 or 1.83GHz Core Solo (probably 1.67) with an X600 video card (64MB of RAM? I'm hoping 128), an 80GB hard drive, and a super drive with Airport Extreme and 1GB of memory. I hope I'm not too far off; it seems feasable.

• 2 weeks later...

MBPRO 15/1.83 CTO

2GB 667 DDR2- 2x1GB SO-DIMM

100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600-256M

BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS

Airport Extreme Card&BT

Ship: Feb 15, 2006

Estiamted Delivery : Feb 23, 2006

Wish me luck :) !!!!!

:gun:

just picked up a new dual core g5 power mac and a used 1.2 ibook 12" . I have been using my 10.4.3 osx86 box for a while on top of that, and the software is definitly not ready for prime time yet.

i would buy one for home, just because the OS is a lot more snappy, but in a production environment the intel boxes are just too finicky, and without adobe support out of the gate, a lot of people are leery to make a switch. i know i am.

scott

my 17" core duo is quite nice as well. i had bought a new slim g5 imac right after christmas thinking the ibook and mac mini would be the first to receive the update so they let me trade it in the day of the keynote and i got the intel 3 days later. its quite nice

I just got an email moving the delivery date from 02-21 to 03-07 ....

I do not live in the US (Argentina) and I SCHEDULE A TRIP UP THERE JUST TO PICK UP THE NOTEBOOK!!!!

In the other hand, I get a free micro upgrade to 2.0 Ghz ....

i'm waiting for 3rd party G5 upgrades know that apple don't buy all of these nice chips :)

That's an interesting thought - I wonder what will happen to the unused stock of PowerPC processors? I think Apple will continue making them until the machines until their supply gets low, and then keep a stock for warranty repairs. IBM have other markets for the processors, so don't count on them getting too cheap.

I think that would be a good idea. Just look at the great games that are getting the UB treatment - Quake 4, WoW...it's shaping up nicely.

As far as Photoshop goes, we've seen already how it runs on our OSx86 boxes, and it's worked well enough to get the job done. Unless you need the serious power boost, and are doing Photoshop work for a living, it'd be a good ide and just go ahead with the Macbook.

I know I'm happy with my decision to get one